Wordy

Default Conservatory base

Hi,

I am looking to build the base to my newly delivered conservatory in
the next few weeks. The conservatory is one of the wooden Baltic Pine
ones, and is a full height version, so that I do not have to build a
dwarf wall. I need to build the base up a bit, as the ground level is
about 14 inches below the floor level of the dining room that the
conservatory is going to join to.

I was thinking about building a base perimeter out of medium / high
density concrete blocks, for the conservatory to stand on, and then an
inner course of blocks on which to hand some 6 x 2 joists. I was then
going to lay some foam insulation sheets between the joists, chipboard
on top of the joists,and then maybe some laminite flooring to finish
it off (it has to be easy clean for my twin boys !)

Has anyone tried this before, and am I going about this in the right
way ? I have looked into the steel base structures, but they seem
quite expensive £800 + VAT.

Thanks in advance,

Paul...
Christian McArdle

Has anyone tried this before, and am I going about this in the right
way ? I have looked into the steel base structures, but they seem
quite expensive £800 + VAT.

I used the steel system. It was excellent and I would strongly recommend it.

I see no problems with the method you propose, provided it is laid on a
reasonably deep and wide trench foundation.

Christian.

dg

(Wordy) wrote in message . com...
[...]

With this proposal, damp is likely to get into the ends of the joists
and cause them to rot quite quickly. And what about the fact that the
blocks will be seen, what of frost action? What about air flow
underneath the floor?

Check out some basic timber ground floor drawings for some guidance.
Use Google

You need an external wall, with engineering bricks down to 225mm below
ground level. The joist supporting wall needs to be separate from the
external wall, and joists need some DPC protection. and be
preservative treated

The area below the floor should ideally have a concrete oversite slab
to prevent vegitation growth, and be ventilated.

dg