Pedro Popadopolous

Default extending concrete base

Hi All,

I am extending a concrete bas on which I am building a conservatory. I need
to add an extra 320mm to the depth. Do I need to add anything between the
old base (only 3 weeks old) and the new 320mm one?

Cheers

Rick

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:24:28 -0000, "Pedro Popadopolous"
wrote:

Hi All,

I am extending a concrete bas on which I am building a conservatory. I need
to add an extra 320mm to the depth. Do I need to add anything between the
old base (only 3 weeks old) and the new 320mm one?

Cheers

Is the base sufficient strength, and you are lifiting it ? If so it
may be worth considering adding 320mm of polystyerine in the middle,
and making the dwarf walls a bit taller round the sides.

Rick

Pedro Popadopolous

wrote:

Hi All,

I am extending a concrete bas on which I am building a conservatory. I
need
to add an extra 320mm to the depth. Do I need to add anything between the
old base (only 3 weeks old) and the new 320mm one?

Cheers

Is the base sufficient strength, and you are lifiting it ? If so it
may be worth considering adding 320mm of polystyerine in the middle,
and making the dwarf walls a bit taller round the sides.

The new base will hold the majority of the conservatories weight as its the
front edge that needs to be added. So all the doors, frames and the roof
will be held on this bit.......

My concern is really, can I just 'Add' 320mm onto the base, or do I need to
bolt the new bit to the old bit or do I dig it all up and start again? I am
allso wondering about having to 2 DPM's overlapping as I will need a new dpm
on the 320mm add on :-)

Thanks

Christian McArdle

I am extending a concrete bas on which I am building a conservatory. I
need
to add an extra 320mm to the depth. Do I need to add anything between the
old base (only 3 weeks old) and the new 320mm one?

If you mean depth, then loads of insulation and some embedded underfloor
heating pipes and screed (even if you don't actually connect the underfloor
heating up yet). If you actually meant width, I'd probably follow Rob's
advice, to avoid the two parts going their separate ways.

Christian.

Concrete Bonding Agent & people who do not read directions... a Home Repair 2 October 5th 05 03:50 PM
How much concrete do I need? orangetrader Home Repair 8 November 4th 04 12:55 PM
Repairing concrete floor in shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 June 3rd 04 08:18 AM
Acid vs. concrete. Cafe1 Home Repair 17 May 13th 04 02:39 AM
Shower base repair Kevin Webb UK diy 0 January 19th 04 03:09 AM