jojarosa

Default Conservatory restricting air bricks?

I'm thinking of having a conservatory put in at the back of my ground
floor flat. This will cover three air bricks + one for next doors
flat. The builder who has quoted for it, says that window vents will
provide enough air flow. Is he right, will vents be sufficient? If not
any suggestions for improving it if the conservatory is fitted. The
area I live in is very damp under floor & I don't have a damp proof
course, hence my concern.

Thanks in anticipation.
Mike

"jojarosa" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of having a conservatory put in at the back of my ground
floor flat. This will cover three air bricks + one for next doors
flat. The builder who has quoted for it, says that window vents will
provide enough air flow. Is he right, will vents be sufficient? If not
any suggestions for improving it if the conservatory is fitted. The
area I live in is very damp under floor & I don't have a damp proof
course, hence my concern.

No it won't. And indeed the BCO won't pass it anyway as the conservatory
ventilation is for the conservatory, not the underfloor.
You will need to arrange alternative vents, possibly using fans.

DavidG

"Mike" wrote in message

"jojarosa" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of having a conservatory put in at the back of my ground
floor flat. This will cover three air bricks + one for next doors
flat. The builder who has quoted for it, says that window vents will
provide enough air flow. Is he right, will vents be sufficient? If not
any suggestions for improving it if the conservatory is fitted. The
area I live in is very damp under floor & I don't have a damp proof
course, hence my concern.

No it won't. And indeed the BCO won't pass it anyway as the conservatory
ventilation is for the conservatory, not the underfloor.
You will need to arrange alternative vents, possibly using fans.

When the concrete base was laid for our conservatory, the builder ran upvc
gutter downpipe from the old airbricks under the floor to join new ones on
the outside wall of the conservatory. Two pipes per air vent.

--

David

John

"Mike" wrote in message

"jojarosa" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of having a conservatory put in at the back of my ground
floor flat. This will cover three air bricks + one for next doors
flat. The builder who has quoted for it, says that window vents will
provide enough air flow. Is he right, will vents be sufficient? If not
any suggestions for improving it if the conservatory is fitted. The
area I live in is very damp under floor & I don't have a damp proof
course, hence my concern.

No it won't. And indeed the BCO won't pass it anyway as the conservatory
ventilation is for the conservatory, not the underfloor.
You will need to arrange alternative vents, possibly using fans.

I agree it probably won't be satisfactory regarding ventilation but unless
there has been a change to building regs requirements and conservatories the
BCO may not need to get involved. When we built our extension and I was
talking to the BCO during one of his visits he observed that he wouldn't be
interested in the conservatory which was put up some time after the rest of
the job as it didn't need building regs approval (although it "did" need
planning consent which it had as it was in the planning application for the
whole job)
The most likely solution will be to extend the air vents via underfloor
ducts to the new outside wall and knock out the existing air bricks in the
old wall so there is a clear passage for aircirculation

Mike

"John" wrote in message
I agree it probably won't be satisfactory regarding ventilation but unless
there has been a change to building regs requirements and conservatories

the
BCO may not need to get involved. When we built our extension and I was
talking to the BCO during one of his visits he observed that he wouldn't

be
interested in the conservatory which was put up some time after the rest

of
the job as it didn't need building regs approval (although it "did" need
planning consent which it had as it was in the planning application for

the
whole job)

Usually conservatories don't need planning permission but they usually
always need building control - at least to check you have used the correct
glass if not for issues such as foundations or whatever.

Tony Bryer

In article , Mike wrote:
Usually conservatories don't need planning permission but they usually
always need building control - at least to check you have used the
correct glass if not for issues such as foundations or whatever.

Lots are exempt:

"The extension of a building by the addition at ground level of:
a conservatory ...
where the floor area of that extension does not exceed 30m2, provided as
is the case of a conservatory or porch which is wholly or partly glazed,
the glazing satisfies the requirements of Part N of the Building
Regulations and where the existing property remains separated from such
an extension."

But

" Electrical installations carried out in connection with some exempt
building work are subject to Part P of the Building Regulations. It is
therefore advisable to ensure that all electrical work carried out is
undertaken by a competent person registered with an electrical
self-certification scheme authorised by the Secretary of State. If the
electrical installation work is not carried out under a
self-certification scheme the person responsible for the work may be
required to make a Building Regulation application."

Info courtesy of Hull City Council (number 1 on Google).

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

jojarosa

Thanks everyone. Don't think I'll be using that builder!