Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adhesives Question

Thanks to Kaiser and Roger on this group, I have located a replacement
'Metal Bracket - Rise and Fall', to replace a missing one of these:

www.harbury.me.uk/gutter.htm

Since the new bracket will be driven into a hole in the mortar that the old
bracket fell out of, does anyone have any suggestions for what adhesive I
can use to fix the bracket into the mortar?
--
Lyndon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:05:20 +0100, Lyndon wrote:
Thanks to Kaiser and Roger on this group, I have located a replacement
'Metal Bracket - Rise and Fall', to replace a missing one of these:

www.harbury.me.uk/gutter.htm

Since the new bracket will be driven into a hole in the mortar that the old
bracket fell out of, does anyone have any suggestions for what adhesive I
can use to fix the bracket into the mortar?

I quite like polyester resin (see screwfix.co.uk) for things like this.
It sets rosk-hard in a very few minutes.
It's best to have a few things you want to fix/fill as you will use up
a mixing nozzle each time you use one of these tubes.

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 7:05 pm, "Lyndon" wrote:
Thanks to Kaiser and Roger on this group, I have located a replacement
'Metal Bracket - Rise and Fall', to replace a missing one of these:

www.harbury.me.uk/gutter.htm

Since the new bracket will be driven into a hole in the mortar that the old
bracket fell out of, does anyone have any suggestions for what adhesive I
can use to fix the bracket into the mortar?

You can get bigger plugs instead of whatever came out with the
original. If that fails make the hole big enough to take a wooden
wedge, put the screw in place (after checking the bracket for the
correct place that is.)

Then put filler over the yawning gap.
I take it that you have tried a brown plug and a #12 screw?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

On Jul 15, 7:05 pm, "Lyndon" wrote:
Thanks to Kaiser and Roger on this group, I have located a
replacement 'Metal Bracket - Rise and Fall', to replace a missing
one of these:

www.harbury.me.uk/gutter.htm

Since the new bracket will be driven into a hole in the mortar that
the old bracket fell out of, does anyone have any suggestions for
what adhesive I can use to fix the bracket into the mortar?

You can get bigger plugs instead of whatever came out with the
original. If that fails make the hole big enough to take a wooden
wedge, put the screw in place (after checking the bracket for the
correct place that is.)

Then put filler over the yawning gap.
I take it that you have tried a brown plug and a #12 screw?

But the bracket doesn't *screw* to the wall (see the picture in the URL he
quoted) - it has a spike which goes straight into the mortar joint.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 8:40 pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Jul 15, 7:05 pm, "Lyndon" wrote:
Thanks to Kaiser and Roger on this group, I have located a
replacement 'Metal Bracket - Rise and Fall', to replace a missing
one of these:

www.harbury.me.uk/gutter.htm

Since the new bracket will be driven into a hole in the mortar that
the old bracket fell out of, does anyone have any suggestions for
what adhesive I can use to fix the bracket into the mortar?

You can get bigger plugs instead of whatever came out with the
original. If that fails make the hole big enough to take a wooden
wedge, put the screw in place (after checking the bracket for the
correct place that is.)

Then put filler over the yawning gap.
I take it that you have tried a brown plug and a #12 screw?

But the bracket doesn't *screw* to the wall (see the picture in the URL he
quoted) - it has a spike which goes straight into the mortar joint.

Oof, I thought it was a shelf bracket.

Plugging chisel and some sort of mastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lyndon wrote:
Thanks to Kaiser and Roger on this group, I have located a replacement
'Metal Bracket - Rise and Fall', to replace a missing one of these:

www.harbury.me.uk/gutter.htm

Since the new bracket will be driven into a hole in the mortar that the old
bracket fell out of, does anyone have any suggestions for what adhesive I
can use to fix the bracket into the mortar?

Epoxy mortar

An Inferior (but more pleasant looking) form of KarBoddiFilla.

suggestions for adhesives to use on Ipe marc rosen Woodworking 3 May 24th 07 05:40 PM
adhesives FAQ Dave Fawthrop UK diy 7 August 19th 06 12:04 PM
Adhesives Cicero UK diy 0 July 17th 06 09:58 AM
Adhesives question Ledz Woodworking 12 October 9th 05 05:42 PM
Wood Adhesives Dan O'Connor Woodworking 13 October 17th 03 11:50 AM