Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Henry is out of breath

Our Henry vacuum cleaner is not sucking properly. There seems to be
something wrong with the motor. Are there any user-serviceable parts on a
Henry motor? For example, the brushes?

I am assuming at the moment that it is either the brushes are worn or one of
the motor coils has burnt out. If it's a coil, I am afraid that poor Henry
is destined for landfill, but brushes ought to be easy enough to replace (I
assume).

The machine still runs, but it doesn't suck properly. I have, of course,
checked all the obvious things, like the hose and so on, before asking here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:16:38 UTC, "GB" wrote:

I am assuming at the moment that it is either the brushes are worn or one of
the motor coils has burnt out. If it's a coil, I am afraid that poor Henry
is destined for landfill, but brushes ought to be easy enough to replace (I
assume).

In the worst case, I believe a new motor is still cheaper (and less
landfill-generating) than a new Henry.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Best place to buy http://www.wcsuk.com/acatalog/Numatic_Motors.html

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"GB" writes:
Our Henry vacuum cleaner is not sucking properly. There seems to be
something wrong with the motor. Are there any user-serviceable parts on a
Henry motor? For example, the brushes?

I am assuming at the moment that it is either the brushes are worn or one of
the motor coils has burnt out. If it's a coil, I am afraid that poor Henry
is destined for landfill, but brushes ought to be easy enough to replace (I
assume).

The machine still runs, but it doesn't suck properly. I have, of course,
checked all the obvious things, like the hose and so on, before asking here.

Does it make a different sound from before, or does the motor
speed fluctuate when the vacuum load isn't changing, or does
it generate any sort of hot or burning smell?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Our Henry vacuum cleaner is not sucking properly. There seems to be
something wrong with the motor. Are there any user-serviceable parts on a
Henry motor? For example, the brushes?

I am assuming at the moment that it is either the brushes are worn or one
of the motor coils has burnt out. If it's a coil, I am afraid that poor
Henry is destined for landfill, but brushes ought to be easy enough to
replace (I assume).

The machine still runs, but it doesn't suck properly. I have, of course,
checked all the obvious things, like the hose and so on, before asking
here.

When you say it still runs, is it making the same noise as usual? and
no smell of burning insulation? if so, sounds as if the motor is fine
unless the impeller has become detached. A blocked filter or hose will
make the motor increase in speed a little.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Our Henry vacuum cleaner is not sucking properly. There seems to be
something wrong with the motor. Are there any user-serviceable parts on a
Henry motor? For example, the brushes?

I am assuming at the moment that it is either the brushes are worn or one
of the motor coils has burnt out. If it's a coil, I am afraid that poor
Henry is destined for landfill, but brushes ought to be easy enough to
replace (I assume).

The machine still runs, but it doesn't suck properly. I have, of course,
checked all the obvious things, like the hose and so on, before asking
here.

Just stating the obvious but does Henry have any filters and has the baggie
been changed recently?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:13:15 UTC, "Nick"
wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
Our Henry vacuum cleaner is not sucking properly. There seems to be
something wrong with the motor. Are there any user-serviceable parts on a
Henry motor? For example, the brushes?

I am assuming at the moment that it is either the brushes are worn or one
of the motor coils has burnt out. If it's a coil, I am afraid that poor
Henry is destined for landfill, but brushes ought to be easy enough to
replace (I assume).

The machine still runs, but it doesn't suck properly. I have, of course,
checked all the obvious things, like the hose and so on, before asking
here.

Just stating the obvious but does Henry have any filters and has the baggie
been changed recently?

The Henry filter is blindingly obvious, as is the bag. You have to lift
the filter out (it's the same diameter as the tub and sits above the
bag) to change the bag. But anything's possible!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

Just stating the obvious but does Henry have any filters and has the
baggie
been changed recently?

The Henry filter is blindingly obvious, as is the bag. You have to lift
the filter out (it's the same diameter as the tub and sits above the
bag) to change the bag. But anything's possible!

Well, we actually have 2 Henrys, as it's a tall house. I swapped the top
half (containing the motor) and the broken one simply doesn't suck properly.
The impeller is firmly attached. The noise it makes is the same as the
working one, and there's no burning smell.

I can't see whether there's anything wrong with the brushes, but the motor
turns perfectly well by hand, without any clicking noises.

I see that it has been operating for probably a long time without the
filter. This may not have done it any good, although I must say that there's
no obvious damage.

Unless you guys have any further suggestions, I'm stumped.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"GB" wrote in message
Our Henry vacuum cleaner is not sucking properly. There seems to be
something wrong with the motor. Are there any user-serviceable parts on a
Henry motor? For example, the brushes?

I am assuming at the moment that it is either the brushes are worn or one
of the motor coils has burnt out. If it's a coil, I am afraid that poor
Henry is destined for landfill, but brushes ought to be easy enough to
replace (I assume).

The machine still runs, but it doesn't suck properly. I have, of course,
checked all the obvious things, like the hose and so on, before asking
here.

1 Check the impeller for blockage. Common when used without a filter bag.
2 Is the outlet obstructed at the top of the case.
3 Most parts are available, but usually a replacement motor is the way
forward unless the brushes are OK.
4 Numatic are at http://www.numatic.co.uk/index.asp and in my experience
of having the machines in all shapes and forms from when in the Hire
industry the dealers are usually very helpful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jul, 16:38, "GB" wrote:

Well, we actually have 2 Henrys, as it's a tall house. I swapped the top
half (containing the motor) and the broken one simply doesn't suck properly.
The impeller is firmly attached. The noise it makes is the same as the
working one, and there's no burning smell.

I can't see whether there's anything wrong with the brushes, but the motor
turns perfectly well by hand, without any clicking noises.

I see that it has been operating for probably a long time without the
filter. This may not have done it any good, although I must say that there's
no obvious damage.

Unless you guys have any further suggestions, I'm stumped.

Seems fairly obvious what the problem is, dirt somewhere in the
system, probably in the fan. You'll need to dismantle and open up the
fan to clean it out, ditto all air paths, and learn why they recommend
you use an air filter in future.

NT

(( The Last Breath )) big Hart Home Repair 1 July 1st 07 02:06 PM
Breath-rite strips mm Home Repair 40 April 25th 07 11:44 AM
Many sharp intakes of breath Rod UK diy 8 July 5th 05 12:48 PM
Henry vacuum bags [email protected] UK diy 15 September 7th 04 06:14 PM