Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Who invented what?

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except that
he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the vacuum
cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

AFAIK Bosch invented the jigsaw, Skil invented the circular saw, Kango
invented the demolition hammer.

But is that right? And who 'invented' the router, the SDS drill, the
cordless drill driver, the angle grinder?

Interesting topic what?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 23:55:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except that
he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the vacuum
cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

AFAIK Bosch invented the jigsaw, Skil invented the circular saw, Kango
invented the demolition hammer.

But is that right? And who 'invented' the router, the SDS drill, the
cordless drill driver, the angle grinder?

Interesting topic what?

You missed out the Revered and Ubiquitous Car Body Filler.

Also, the items don't all have to be "positive". La machine de merde
(Saniflo) should be there - although I suspect that that is a
Napoleonic secret weapon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

On 2007-07-09 23:55:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that
he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the
vacuum
cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

AFAIK Bosch invented the jigsaw, Skil invented the circular saw, Kango
invented the demolition hammer.

But is that right? And who 'invented' the router, the SDS drill, the
cordless drill driver, the angle grinder?

Interesting topic what?

You missed out the Revered and Ubiquitous Car Body Filler.

He was plain Mr Ubiquitous Car Body Filler until his ordination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

Even Spangler was not first, although he did obtain a patent. Three years
earlier a portable electric vacuum cleaner had been produced in San
Francisco, although portable was a relative term. It was smaller than the
wagon sized vacuum cleaner invented by Cecil Booth in 1901, but still needed
a couple of people to move it and did not sell well. Hand (and rocking
chair) operated vacuum cleaners had been around since the mid 19th century.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 3:12 am, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in ...

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

Who invented and patented the noiseless fridge, which was brought to
the market by Electrolux?

Answer: Einstein (Who also dreamed up General Relativity etc.)

How does it work? http://www.cam.net.uk/home/StKilda/electrolux.html

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in ...

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

... and let's not foget Thomas Crapper who invented the flushing
toilet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in ...
OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

.. and let's not foget Thomas Crapper who invented the flushing
toilet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Robert

Discoveries and inventions are often incorrectly attributed. After all
most are the result of scientific progress which is happening all over
the world. I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought. Penicillin was not discovered by Flemming, but he was
the team manager, so got the credit.
Anyway off subject a little, what do you think was the greatest
discovery/invention? My vote goes to the person who first put bacon with
eggs!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 23:55:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that
he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the
vacuum
cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

AFAIK Bosch invented the jigsaw, Skil invented the circular saw, Kango
invented the demolition hammer.

But is that right? And who 'invented' the router, the SDS drill, the
cordless drill driver, the angle grinder?

Interesting topic what?

You missed out the Revered and Ubiquitous Car Body Filler.

Also, the items don't all have to be "positive". La machine de merde
(Saniflo) should be there - although I suspect that that is a Napoleonic
secret weapon.

Wasn't Isopon invented by a chap called David? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

here.uk.com wrote:
[...]

I'd vacillate between the wheel, smelting and writing..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought.

TV as we know it has little to do with Baird.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ups.com...

here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover.
Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover
brought the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

.. and let's not foget Thomas Crapper who invented the flushing
toilet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

From the article you sited "Thomas Crapper did not invent the flush toilet
".
The Romans had flushing toilets BTW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in ...
OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

.. and let's not foget Thomas Crapper who invented the flushing
toilet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Robert

Discoveries and inventions are often incorrectly attributed. After all
most are the result of scientific progress which is happening all over
the world. I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought. Penicillin was not discovered by Flemming, but he was
the team manager, so got the credit.

That's an intesting one. AIUI, it was well known that if you got this
mold on your culture dish it would kill off the bacteria you were
trying to grow. This was thought of as a problem. Fleming's skill
was not that he made a mold that filled bacteria but rather that he
realised the signficance of what was already common knowledge.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

here.uk.com wrote:
[...]

That's entrepreneurs for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought.

TV as we know it has little to do with Baird.

Isn't Baird's claim to fame the fact that he was the first person to
*demonstrate (and transmit?) TV*? As you say, the modern television
system has far more in common with the all electronic system being
invented around the same time by a young American farmers son - can't
remember his name though - than Baird's electro-mechanical system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

reenews.net...

Broadback wrote:
I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought.

TV as we know it has little to do with Baird.

Isn't Baird's claim to fame the fact that he was the first person to
*demonstrate (and transmit?) TV*?

Quite often, who was first to achieve something depends quite a bit on how
you define what they were first at. A mechanical TV system, in principle
very much like the Baird system, was demonstrated by Paul Gottlieb Nipkow in
1884. Of necessity, his pictures were transmitted by wire, so he could be
classed as the father of cable TV.

As you say, the modern television system has far more in common with the
all electronic system being invented around the same time by a young
American farmers son - can't remember his name though - than Baird's
electro-mechanical system.

Philo T Farnsworth, although Vladimir Kosma Zworykin is also an important
pioneer of modern television.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oups.com...
here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought
the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

Who invented and patented the noiseless fridge, which was brought to
the market by Electrolux?

The important factor was not the lack of noise, but the fact that it only
needed heat to operate, making it possible to run it on gas. As a result,
Electrolux were able to corner the market in fridges for boats and caravans.

Answer: Einstein (Who also dreamed up General Relativity etc.)

How does it work? ..

It uses the appropriately named Electrolux Cycle.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

AFAIK Bosch invented the jigsaw, Skil invented the circular saw, Kango
invented the demolition hammer.

But is that right? And who 'invented' the router, the SDS drill, the
cordless drill driver, the angle grinder?

I give my vote to Issac Newton for inventing gravity when an apple fell on
his head

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought
the
vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

.. and let's not foget Thomas Crapper who invented the flushing
toilet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Robert

Discoveries and inventions are often incorrectly attributed. After all
most are the result of scientific progress which is happening all over the
world. I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as we
always thought.

No. The Russian invented the cathode ray tube.

Penicillin was not discovered by Flemming, but he was the team manager, so
got the credit.

Could be.

Edison did not invent the electric light bulb either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought.

TV as we know it has little to do with Baird.

He was the first to transmit picture - fact. An electro-mechanical system,
rather than purley electronic. Cor!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

here.uk.com wrote:
[...]

Its always struck me as fair to assume that others skilled in the art
realised the possibility of this also. After all its pretty obvious.
What is different about the penicillin discovery is that it was tested
and found to be nontoxic enough to use on humans, plus powerful enough
to do the job throughout most of the body.

But in truth, penicillin was not the invention or discovery of
antibiotics. Colloidal silver had been in use for many years in the
west at that time, and I believe mould cultures had been used to kill
bacteria for god knows how long in china.

As ever with stories of invention, the facts are frequently not as
reported.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

No. The Russian invented the cathode ray tube.

If you are thinking of Vladimir Zworykin, then that sounds unlikely...

Karl Braun had a working oscilloscope tube before 1900, and before him
Geissler, Plucker, Crookes, Hemlholtz, Hertz and others had all done
instrumental work along the way.

Zworykin (and his college tutor) managed to demo a part mechanical part
electronic TV system (using a Braun tube) in the early 1900's

Edison did not invent the electric light bulb either.

Probably not...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
wrote

From the article you sited "Thomas Crapper did not invent the flush toilet
".
The Romans had flushing toilets BTW.

Joseph Bramah also had a patent in 1778 for a water closet.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

reenews.net...

Broadback wrote:
I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought.

TV as we know it has little to do with Baird.

He was the first to transmit picture - fact.

The first after Paul Nipkow that is.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought.

TV as we know it has little to do with Baird.

He was the first to transmit picture - fact.

The first after Paul Nipkow that is.

No, it's not clear whether he actually built a prototype, which would barely
have worked without any form of amplifier anyway (they hadn't been
invented). He did patent the idea first though.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
OK, so we all 'know' who invented the vacuum cleaner - Hoover. Except
that he didn't - he bought the idea from Spangler. But Hoover brought
the vacuum cleaner to the world as a commercial product.

AFAIK Bosch invented the jigsaw, Skil invented the circular saw, Kango
invented the demolition hammer.

But is that right? And who 'invented' the router, the SDS drill, the
cordless drill driver, the angle grinder?

I give my vote to Issac Newton for inventing gravity when an apple fell
on his head

Adam

You did not need the smiley to make me smile Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
I believe that TV was first run by a Russian, not Baird as
we always thought.

TV as we know it has little to do with Baird.

He was the first to transmit picture - fact.

The first after Paul Nipkow that is.

No, it's not clear whether he actually built a prototype, which would
barely have worked without any form of amplifier anyway (they hadn't been
invented). He did patent the idea first though.

Baird was the first to transmit a recognisable picture through the air. An
undisputed fact I recall one TV programme (film clip of 1950s I think)
interviewing the man who was the first face on TV. He was boy then. He was
more interested that he got 5/- to sit there than the picture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

No. The Russian invented the cathode ray tube.

If you are thinking of Vladimir Zworykin, then that sounds unlikely...

Karl Braun had a working oscilloscope tube before 1900, and before him
Geissler, Plucker, Crookes, Hemlholtz, Hertz and others had all done
instrumental work along the way.

Zworykin (and his college tutor) managed to demo a part mechanical part
electronic TV system (using a Braun tube) in the early 1900's

Demo? transmit pictures through the air? Proven? Baird was the one to
first do that and verified. Undisputable.

Edison did not invent the electric light bulb either.

Probably not...

It was Bell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Baird was the first to transmit a recognisable picture through the air.
An undisputed fact I recall one TV programme (film clip of 1950s I
think) interviewing the man who was the first face on TV. He was boy
then. He was more interested that he got 5/- to sit there than the
picture.

Except that it wasn't through the air but via cable.

Baird never transmitted pictures 'through the air' The British
Broadcasting Company did it for him.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Baird was the first to transmit a recognisable picture through the air.
An undisputed fact I recall one TV programme (film clip of 1950s I
think) interviewing the man who was the first face on TV. He was boy
then. He was more interested that he got 5/- to sit there than the
picture.

Except that it wasn't through the air but via cable.

Through the air

Baird never transmitted pictures 'through the air' The British
Broadcasting Company did it for him.

Through the air across and room and one room to another. When demonstrating
the experts were looking under the table for cables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

No. The Russian invented the cathode ray tube.

Demo? transmit pictures through the air? Proven? Baird was the one to
first do that and verified. Undisputable.

We were discussing the invention of the CRT, which predated Zworykin's
demo (or "The Russian" as you called him).

Edison did not invent the electric light bulb either.

Probably not...

It was Bell.

Really? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:12:32 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

No. The Russian invented the cathode ray tube.

Demo? transmit pictures through the air? Proven? Baird was the one to
first do that and verified. Undisputable.

We were discussing the invention of the CRT, which predated Zworykin's
demo (or "The Russian" as you called him).

Edison did not invent the electric light bulb either.

Probably not...

It was Bell.

Really? ;-)

Joseph Wilson Swan.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Baird was the first to transmit a recognisable picture through the
air. An undisputed fact I recall one TV programme (film clip of
1950s I think) interviewing the man who was the first face on TV. He
was boy then. He was more interested that he got 5/- to sit there
than the picture.

Except that it wasn't through the air but via cable.

Through the air

Your usual black is white, then?

Baird never transmitted pictures 'through the air' The British
Broadcasting Company did it for him.

Through the air across and room and one room to another. When
demonstrating the experts were looking under the table for cables.

Think I prefer not reading your 'poetry'.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyway off subject a little, what do you think was the greatest
discovery/invention? My vote goes to the person who first put bacon with
eggs!-

Fermentation.

Funny you should say that ... over the last few weeks, I've been
watching James Burkes "Connections". Last nights showed how the
invention of air-conditioning lead to refridgeration which help out
the Bavarian larger makers, who were forbidden to make beer in summer
because it was too hot.

I mentioned to SWMBO that over the course of the series, it was
amazing how many discoveries and inventions came from brewing,
brewers, distilling and distillers and the alcohol industry in
general .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
ups.com...

Anyway off subject a little, what do you think was the greatest
discovery/invention? My vote goes to the person who first put bacon
with
eggs!-

Fermentation.

Funny you should say that ... over the last few weeks, I've been
watching James Burkes "Connections". Last nights showed how the
invention of air-conditioning lead to refridgeration which help out
the Bavarian larger makers, who were forbidden to make beer in summer
because it was too hot.

And, presumably, because they needed to diet? )

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
ups.com...

Anyway off subject a little, what do you think was the greatest
discovery/invention? My vote goes to the person who first put bacon
with
eggs!-

Fermentation.

Funny you should say that ... over the last few weeks, I've been
watching James Burkes "Connections". Last nights showed how the
invention of air-conditioning lead to refridgeration which help out
the Bavarian larger makers, who were forbidden to make beer in summer
because it was too hot.

I mentioned to SWMBO that over the course of the series, it was
amazing how many discoveries and inventions came from brewing,
brewers, distilling and distillers and the alcohol industry in
general .....

"larger", to store, was originally darker. The British perfected the
brewing systems mainly for IPA, as it had to go to India. The beer was made
golden as cheap glasses were being introduced rather than tankards. The
beer looked good through the glass and sold better. The Czechs, Germans,
etc, took it up. Mid-European beers in their current state owe their
existence to the British.