Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default erecting 2.5m wardrobe in a 2.7m hi room

hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"got1tiel" wrote in message
ps.com...
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

I've done it by assembling it vertically rather than on the floor. Took 2
and a bit people to hold'n'shove'n'screw at times but it ended up OK.
That was a 235cm height wardrobe in a 242cm height room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"got1tiel" wrote in message
ps.com...
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

Cant see a problem really...you start assembling it with the side uprights
and work from there.

ps if its a self assembly job...why is it coming assembled?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"George" wrote in message
k...

"got1tiel" wrote in message
ps.com...
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

Cant see a problem really...you start assembling it with the side uprights
and work from there.

ps if its a self assembly job...why is it coming assembled?

He said "taking its pieces" rather than "taking it to pieces" to be cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"got1tiel" wrote in message
ps.com...
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

Tricky if you assemble it on its back and then try to raise it into
position. I have built one in its vertical position though without any
difficulty. It was a two person job since you don't have the benefit of the
floor to hold things, but it was quite do-able.
--
Lyndon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
k...

"got1tiel" wrote in message
ps.com...
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

Cant see a problem really...you start assembling it with the side

uprights
and work from there.

ps if its a self assembly job...why is it coming assembled?

He said "taking its pieces" rather than "taking it to pieces" to be cut.

Sorry, just surfaced from an afternoon kip. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

got1tiel wrote:
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

How much height do you need?

Worst case sounds like the height of the room needs to be as long or
longer than the top to bottom, front to back diagonal:

sqrt( 0.6^2 2.5^2 ) = 2.6m

So you have 10cm clear if you built it flat on its front and then tip it
upright.

(If there was insufficient height to raise it from laying down then it
could always be built it upright).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
"got1tiel" wrote in message
ps.com...
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

I've done it by assembling it vertically rather than on the floor.
Took 2 and a bit people to hold'n'shove'n'screw at times but it ended
up OK. That was a 235cm height wardrobe in a 242cm height room.

Yup. BT, DT, GTTS. Also once had a customer who bought 6 x double wardrobes
2.6m high for a walk in dressing room 2.4m high! had to cut the buggers
down & assemble them upright!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
k...

"got1tiel" wrote in message
ps.com...
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

Cant see a problem really...you start assembling it with the side
uprights
and work from there.

ps if its a self assembly job...why is it coming assembled?

He said "taking its pieces" rather than "taking it to pieces" to be cut.

Taking them where? This man needs to get the Lidl's jigsaw.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 4:59 pm, John Rumm wrote:
sqrt( 0.6^2 2.5^2 ) = 2.6m

So you have 10cm clear if you built it flat on its front and then tip it
upright.

yes.a very handy application of pythagoras.

I went back to the room and to complicate matters realized that it its
floor dimensions are 3m by 2.8m! the 3m allowing for 50cm room after
it is constructed on the floor.

However scribbling on some paper i found that the pivot point when
erecting has to be 60cm away from the wall. .60+2.5m= 3.1m!!

i have put together a 16K jpg drawing showing this new problem. what
are my options now?
http://www.geocities.com/got1tiel/pivot.JPG

thx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"got1tiel" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 8, 4:59 pm, John Rumm wrote:
sqrt( 0.6^2 2.5^2 ) = 2.6m

So you have 10cm clear if you built it flat on its front and then tip
it
upright.

yes.a very handy application of pythagoras.

I went back to the room and to complicate matters realized that it its
floor dimensions are 3m by 2.8m! the 3m allowing for 50cm room after
it is constructed on the floor.

However scribbling on some paper i found that the pivot point when
erecting has to be 60cm away from the wall. .60+2.5m= 3.1m!!

i have put together a 16K jpg drawing showing this new problem. what
are my options now?
http://www.geocities.com/got1tiel/pivot.JPG

But it could start pivoting about a line nearer its back wall, then move
further away once its clear of the opposite wall. Even a 3 degree tilt
will be enough to allow its pivot line to move away
--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

got1tiel wrote:
On Jul 8, 4:59 pm, John Rumm wrote:
sqrt( 0.6^2 2.5^2 ) = 2.6m

So you have 10cm clear if you built it flat on its front and then tip it
upright.

yes.a very handy application of pythagoras.

(works even better with the + sign missing above ;-)

I went back to the room and to complicate matters realized that it its
floor dimensions are 3m by 2.8m! the 3m allowing for 50cm room after
it is constructed on the floor.

However scribbling on some paper i found that the pivot point when
erecting has to be 60cm away from the wall. .60+2.5m= 3.1m!!

i have put together a 16K jpg drawing showing this new problem. what
are my options now?
http://www.geocities.com/got1tiel/pivot.JPG

So you need to build it where you need to build it, and then slide it
forward once you have it raised to say 45 degrees - probably much easier
to do than to describe.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , OG
writes

"got1tiel" wrote in message
ups.com...
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

I've done it by assembling it vertically rather than on the floor. Took 2
and a bit people to hold'n'shove'n'screw at times but it ended up OK.
That was a 235cm height wardrobe in a 242cm height room.

Just done exactly the same with two wardrobes this weekend

Where's the problem ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

got1tiel wrote:

On Jul 8, 4:59 pm, John Rumm wrote:
sqrt( 0.6^2 2.5^2 ) = 2.6m

So you have 10cm clear if you built it flat on its front and then
tip it upright.

yes.a very handy application of pythagoras.

I went back to the room and to complicate matters realized that it its
floor dimensions are 3m by 2.8m! the 3m allowing for 50cm room after
it is constructed on the floor.

However scribbling on some paper i found that the pivot point when
erecting has to be 60cm away from the wall. .60+2.5m= 3.1m!!

i have put together a 16K jpg drawing showing this new problem. what
are my options now?
http://www.geocities.com/got1tiel/pivot.JPG

thx

As others have said, by far the best idea is to assemble it upright rather
than lying on its front. If you *really* want to assemble it lying down, you
obviously have to start with it further to the left (in your diagram) and
then drag it to the right when it's partially upright.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
got1tiel writes
On Jul 8, 4:59 pm, John Rumm wrote:
sqrt( 0.6^2 2.5^2 ) = 2.6m

So you have 10cm clear if you built it flat on its front and then tip it
upright.

yes.a very handy application of pythagoras.

I went back to the room and to complicate matters realized that it its
floor dimensions are 3m by 2.8m! the 3m allowing for 50cm room after
it is constructed on the floor.

However scribbling on some paper i found that the pivot point when
erecting has to be 60cm away from the wall. .60+2.5m= 3.1m!!

You slide it along as you raise it, of course ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jul, 15:40, got1tiel wrote:
hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to
arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit
shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the
conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m
high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

I got a 2.7m one in a 2.72m room.

I assmebled it pretty much in place. The top and bottom had fixings
that had to be done from the outside, if I followed the pictures. I
turned the pieces over, so the fixings were tightened from the inside,
now I could access them, so I built the wardrobe stood up.

Instructions for Erecting Houses of Worship in MY HOLY NAME Raymond Karczewski Home Repair 3 July 8th 06 07:29 PM
Converting room to Walk-in-Wardrobe: Any bright ideas? Colin Chaplin UK diy 2 July 13th 05 10:38 PM
Wardrobe locks Graham Jones UK diy 1 January 27th 05 11:41 AM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Wardrobe Organizer happy hunter UK diy 1 April 26th 04 05:04 PM