George

Default immersion heater covering

Hi
I noticed that our cat who used to sleep on the top shelf of the hot
press had been jumping onto the immersion heater then onto the shelf.
This has worn off a section of the hard foam covering on the boiler. Is
there anything I can buy to patch this?

tia

--
Remove N0_SPAM_PLEAZE to email
It's a spring thing

Richard

"George" wrote in message
Hi
I noticed that our cat who used to sleep on the top shelf of the hot
press had been jumping onto the immersion heater then onto the shelf.
This has worn off a section of the hard foam covering on the boiler. Is
there anything I can buy to patch this?

tia

--
Remove N0_SPAM_PLEAZE to email
It's a spring thing
http://www.hookeslaw.com

Cat fur is a great insulator so ...Kill the cat and tie it's skin over the
bare patch.

No not really I Love Pussies/Pussy :-)

Richard.

BigWallop

"George" wrote in message
Hi
I noticed that our cat who used to sleep on the top shelf of the hot
press had been jumping onto the immersion heater then onto the shelf.
This has worn off a section of the hard foam covering on the boiler. Is
there anything I can buy to patch this?

tia

--
Remove N0_SPAM_PLEAZE to email
It's a spring thing
http://www.hookeslaw.com

Expandite foam from the DIY Stores. It's commonly used to fill gaps around
windows and doors, but it is also quite a good insulator. Shake the can
really well before using it and keep shaking it between uses. Be gentle
with it, as it blows up to nearly three times its liquid state when curing.

George

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Cheers. Is it possible to shape it (with a scraper for example) to the
general shape of what's already there or will it look like a growth on
top? :-)

BigWallop

"George" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
[...]

It can be cut and shaped very easily with any kind of serrated blade. e.g..
an old hacksaw blade or bread knife.

Morgan

George wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message

Expandite foam from the DIY Stores. It's commonly used to fill gaps
around windows and doors, but it is also quite a good insulator.
Shake the can really well before using it and keep shaking it
between uses. Be gentle with it, as it blows up to nearly three
times its liquid state when curing.

Cheers. Is it possible to shape it (with a scraper for example) to
the general shape of what's already there or will it look like a
growth on top? :-)

You can cut and shape it with a sharp breadknife.
Or alternatively, if you get the amount just right, cover with a sheet of
tough polythene, taped down well.
This will give you a similar finish to what is on there now,
but as Big Wallop says, it expands to almost three times the size, so go
easy!

David

"Morgan" wrote in message ...
George wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message

Expandite foam from the DIY Stores. It's commonly used to fill gaps
around windows and doors, but it is also quite a good insulator.
Shake the can really well before using it and keep shaking it
between uses. Be gentle with it, as it blows up to nearly three
times its liquid state when curing.

Cheers. Is it possible to shape it (with a scraper for example) to
the general shape of what's already there or will it look like a
growth on top? :-)

You can cut and shape it with a sharp breadknife.
Or alternatively, if you get the amount just right, cover with a sheet of
tough polythene, taped down well.
This will give you a similar finish to what is on there now,
but as Big Wallop says, it expands to almost three times the size, so go
easy!

It will look better if you can get it right without having to shape it
(if that matters, being on a HW cylinder!!). But note that there are
different varieties of this foam designed to expand to different
degrees (it's intended as a filler). Brand names like "No more small
gaps" and No more big gaps" if memory serves. You want the one which
expands the least.

David
John Stumbles

"David" wrote in message
om...
"Morgan" wrote in message

George wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message

[...]

I think No More Small Gaps is like decorator's caulk (but in an aerosol, at
an exorbitant price for the amount you get).

No More Big Gaps is the expanding foam. Dunno if you can use what you have
left over in the can later after you've started it - it does say something
about cleaning out the nozzle with a wet matchstick, but times I've used it
I've always arranged things so I finish off the can in one go; filling in
other holes, applying a bit of insulation etc.

For a HW cylinder I'd be inclined to just cover the bald patch with some old
bubblewrap or suchlike.

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

George

"George" wrote in message
Hi
I noticed that our cat who used to sleep on the top shelf of the hot
press had been jumping onto the immersion heater then onto the shelf.
This has worn off a section of the hard foam covering on the boiler.

Is
there anything I can buy to patch this?

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone. I'll try the expanding foam
stuff. The local "bit's n pieces" shop sells it quite cheap.

If it doesn't work, is it possible to buy the old padded covers that used
to be around boilers?
--
Remove N0_SPAM_PLEAZE to email
It's a spring thing
http://www.hookeslaw.com

BigWallop

"George" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
Hi
I noticed that our cat who used to sleep on the top shelf of the hot
press had been jumping onto the immersion heater then onto the shelf.
This has worn off a section of the hard foam covering on the boiler.

Is
there anything I can buy to patch this?

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone. I'll try the expanding foam
stuff. The local "bit's n pieces" shop sells it quite cheap.

If it doesn't work, is it possible to buy the old padded covers that used
to be around boilers?

LOL !!! Yes, you can still get them, but the expanding foam works well on
this type of thing. We use it to fill in between pipe joints and things
where we can't get the tube insulation to go.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Warm Air Heater BillR UK diy 3 September 6th 03 01:47 PM
Immersion Heater Fuse Blowing MrCheerful UK diy 3 July 24th 03 02:15 PM
immersion heater sizes timegoesby UK diy 1 July 11th 03 02:54 AM
Immersion heater element DK UK diy 2 July 5th 03 08:27 PM