Posted to uk.d-i-y
d d is offline

Default anchor points - what size weight etc.

I am looking at installing some anchor points that my scouts troop could
use.

We intend using them to tie off heavy rope that will form part of a rope
type bridge that the scouts will build.

the idea is that you have two 'A' frames one at each end, the rope then goes
over each A frame and ties off to an anchor point.

What i need to gauge is what size would the anchor point need to be - there
would only be person on the rope at a time but i would want to estimate say
3 persons so that its well anchored.

The anchor points will be buried in a field so im thinking of say a metre
cubed of concrete and then some rebar loops buried in them to tie off the
ropes and have them about 75mm below ground level to to avoide the lawn
mower catching them.

is a metre cubed way too much, would prefer to use less concrete and dig
less soil out :-))

looking for some advice please - thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"d" wrote in message news

[...]

Before you go spending vast amounts of money, time and effort on bloody
great lumps of concrete, spend an entire weekend digging and getting all hot
and sweaty, then have to wait a few weeks before you can use the blocks for
anchorage have a look at.....

http://www.duckbill-ground-anchors.co.uk

They'll do *exactly* what you need in a 10th of the time and are instantly
usable.

(Recommended by someone that has installed over 2000 for a Dry Ski Slope
matting retaining system)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"d" wrote in message news

[...]

Sounds way OTT to me.

Take three hefty lads 100kg each, allow factor of two for dynamic loads
makes 600kg. Under all circumstances I can think of there will be a
component of this load going into the ground so less than 600kg into the
anchor point.

1m cube of concrete is over two tonnes so nearer to 0.5 m cube would be
about right.

When I was in the Scouts we used to use three wooden stakes driven in line
into the ground about 30 degrees off vertical with a stout log lying on the
ground behind all three and the ropes tied off to the log. I seem to recall
an illustration in Scouting for Boys of the arrangement although I no longer
have my copy.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"d" wrote in message news
[...]

Screw anchors are another alternative:
http://www.jimssupply.com/anchors.htm
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/30...-tie-down.aspx

Regards,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"d" wrote in message
news

I am looking at installing some anchor points that my scouts troop
could use.

Before you go spending vast amounts of money, time and effort on
bloody great lumps of concrete, spend an entire weekend digging and
getting all hot and sweaty, then have to wait a few weeks before you
can use the blocks for anchorage have a look at.....

http://www.duckbill-ground-anchors.co.uk

Fair point, but concrete is cheap and the labour of scouts is free. There's
also a moral value in the lads achieving this through patient, thorough
work, rather than buying a solution....?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Minchin
writes

"d" wrote in message news

[...]

When I was a Scout, we used a 3-2-1 picket with lashing between the top
of the three and the bottom of the two and the top of the two and the
bottom of the 1 to give added advantage - can't remember them every
pulling out.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y
d d is offline

Steve,

yes spot on there, the concreting is part of the job really, cheap and have
the scouts do some of the graft, learn how to mix concrete etc.
we just liked the idea of fixed anchors a bit of time saving when we are
doing lots of other pioneering.

yes do like the idea of the ground anchors too but cost is likely to be a
show stopper, might have a look at the eath anchors so will look into that
as well - thanks for all the useful comments guys.

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
R wrote:
"d" wrote in message
news

I am looking at installing some anchor points that my scouts troop
could use.

Before you go spending vast amounts of money, time and effort on
bloody great lumps of concrete, spend an entire weekend digging and
getting all hot and sweaty, then have to wait a few weeks before you
can use the blocks for anchorage have a look at.....

http://www.duckbill-ground-anchors.co.uk

Fair point, but concrete is cheap and the labour of scouts is free.
There's also a moral value in the lads achieving this through patient,
thorough work, rather than buying a solution....?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 8:36 pm, "d" wrote:
I am looking at installing some anchor points that my scouts troop could
use.

I needed a similar anchor point to hold up a retaining wall.
I buried a railway sleeper on its side and at right angles to the pull
direction and attached a chain to the middle.

-- direction of pull

.................XXX
.................XXX
.................XXX
.................XXX
.................XXX
.................XXX
ooooooooooooooooXXX
.................XXX

Anchor Bolts Peter C UK diy 6 May 16th 07 11:57 PM
36 inch Samsung TSF-3579 tube TV - Size and Weight of Picture Tube GMGJ Home Repair 15 November 10th 06 04:44 PM
ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size Mike Scott UK diy 17 August 1st 06 08:17 PM
Bag of cement weight/size? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 15 June 19th 06 10:56 AM
OT - Points to Ponder Ken Metalworking 1 March 13th 06 09:29 PM