Old June 15th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Bag of cement weight/size?

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around 3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old June 15th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:43:09 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around 3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

The price is ok, but what do you want it for? The use determines the
volume made up.
Old June 15th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

EricP submitted this idea :
wrote:

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around 3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

The price is ok, but what do you want it for? The use determines the
volume made up.

The foundations for a small light out building.

Old June 15th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around 3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

Think that's what they call a 'bag' these days - Health and Safety,
maximum lifting weights and all that.

David
Old June 15th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from Harry Bloomfield contains these words:

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Bags have been 25Kg for some years and I for one have been glad that the
building trade has got decidedly wimpish as I got older. :-)

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around 3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

Depends how strong you want it but I don't think 175Kg of cement would
go very far. At 1:3:6 (which is pretty lean) I think that would make
about half a cubic metre.

--
Roger Chapman

Old June 15th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
charlieB

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

2 cubic metres of concrete is nearly 5 tonnes in weight:
You'd need about 3 times that much cement

Have you looked at getting it delivered by a "mix on site" truck -
would be a lots quicker for foundations than mucking about with a small
mixer

Charlie

Old June 15th 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around 3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

Not really. I used to use about 5 bags to the ton, and you will need
about 4 tons..
Old June 15th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around 3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

What do you think? Work out the volume you need for whatever you're
using as aggregate. See Cormaic's site.
Old June 16th 06, 12:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and delivered
7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags' 25Kg at around
3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

It seems my supplier has indeed miscalculated :-(

Thanks for the replies!

Old June 16th 06, 02:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around 3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

25kg is the standard bag these days...

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

Depends on how strong you want it... For a medium strength mix like C20
you would need something like 700kg of cement and 3600kg of ballast.

Loads more infor he

http://www.pavingexpert.com/concmix1.html

--
Cheers,