DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bag of cement weight/size? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/165778-bag-cement-weight-size.html)

Harry Bloomfield June 15th 06 08:43 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

EricP June 15th 06 08:55 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:43:09 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

The price is ok, but what do you want it for? The use determines the
volume made up.

Harry Bloomfield June 15th 06 09:03 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

EricP submitted this idea :
wrote:

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

The price is ok, but what do you want it for? The use determines the
volume made up.

The foundations for a small light out building.

Lobster June 15th 06 09:11 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

Think that's what they call a 'bag' these days - Health and Safety,
maximum lifting weights and all that.

David

Roger June 15th 06 10:07 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

The message
from Harry Bloomfield contains these words:

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Bags have been 25Kg for some years and I for one have been glad that the
building trade has got decidedly wimpish as I got older. :-)

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

Depends how strong you want it but I don't think 175Kg of cement would
go very far. At 1:3:6 (which is pretty lean) I think that would make
about half a cubic metre.

--
Roger Chapman

charlieB June 15th 06 11:28 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

2 cubic metres of concrete is nearly 5 tonnes in weight:
You'd need about 3 times that much cement

Have you looked at getting it delivered by a "mix on site" truck -
would be a lots quicker for foundations than mucking about with a small
mixer

Charlie

The Natural Philosopher June 15th 06 11:42 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

Not really. I used to use about 5 bags to the ton, and you will need
about 4 tons..

Chris Bacon June 15th 06 11:55 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

What do you think? Work out the volume you need for whatever you're
using as aggregate. See Cormaic's site.

Harry Bloomfield June 16th 06 12:42 AM

Bag of cement weight/size?

Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and delivered
7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags' 25Kg at around
£3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

It seems my supplier has indeed miscalculated :-(

Thanks for the replies!

John Rumm June 16th 06 02:07 AM

Bag of cement weight/size?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt or 50Kg.

25kg is the standard bag these days...

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

Depends on how strong you want it... For a medium strength mix like C20
you would need something like 700kg of cement and 3600kg of ballast.

Loads more infor he

http://www.pavingexpert.com/concmix1.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Autolycus June 16th 06 09:01 AM

Bag of cement weight/size?

"charlieB" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

2 cubic metres of concrete is nearly 5 tonnes in weight:
You'd need about 3 times that much cement

Have you looked at getting it delivered by a "mix on site" truck -
would be a lots quicker for foundations than mucking about with a
small
mixer

Have you actually used one of these firms? Have a look at the thread I
started called "Mixed-on-site concrete - a warning" (April 2006) to see
why I I'll never use this sort of outfit again.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

[email protected] June 16th 06 10:52 AM

Bag of cement weight/size?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
As per subject, what size is a 'bag' these days and the rough cost of a
'bag'?

Supplier worked out the job would need approximately 7 'bags' and
delivered 7. I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half
bags' 25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

I used that for about 2/3rd of a cubic metre recently.

fred June 16th 06 11:08 AM

Bag of cement weight/size?

In article , Autolycus
writes

"charlieB" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is 7 half bags enough for the 2 cubic metres of concrete I specified?

2 cubic metres of concrete is nearly 5 tonnes in weight:
You'd need about 3 times that much cement

Have you looked at getting it delivered by a "mix on site" truck -
would be a lots quicker for foundations than mucking about with a
small
mixer

Have you actually used one of these firms? Have a look at the thread I
started called "Mixed-on-site concrete - a warning" (April 2006) to see
why I I'll never use this sort of outfit again.

That was an appalling story Kev, at the time I got the impression it was an
open drum mixer hung off the back of a lorry, manually loaded so subject
to all sorts of operator screw ups - accidental or otherwise. Was that the
case?

My limited experience of site mixed concrete has been of a huge truck
with sealed component compartments, a sealed auger at the back and
little for the operator to screw up, a lever controls the strength of the mix
but other than that it looked pretty foolproof. Maybe this type would be
more reliable, it certainly worked well for me. Alternatively if your outfit was
using one of these, I don't know what to think.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Christian McArdle June 16th 06 02:29 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

I've just looked and they are what I would call 'half bags'
25Kg at around £3-80 per bag rather than the equivalent of 1cwt
or 50Kg.

I haven't seen a bag larger than 25kg in years (excluding tonne "bags").
25kg is the largest item you are allowed to carry alone, so is the standard
maximum weight for loads of things these days.

Christian.

Autolycus June 18th 06 10:06 PM

Bag of cement weight/size?

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Autolycus
writes

"charlieB" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

The truck that my cowboys used was a 6-wheeled Volvo (that dripped oil)
with ballast in a hopper almost the length of the wagon body. A
conveyor under the hopper loaded ballast, under operator control, into a
drum mixer mounted on the back of the truck, and powered by hydraulic
motors driven by a pump on the lorry's main engine. There was a water
tank, with its outlet to the mixer again manually controlled by the
operator (the water tank, incidentally filled up on my metered water).
I didn't see exactly what the lad did when he clambered into a
compartment almost at the back of the lorry, but it appeared that he was
emptying bags (or, from the strength of the ensuing mix, probably bag)
of cement into another hopper, and thence into the mixer drum. This may
(I'm not certain) have been the only method of controlling the quantity
of cement used. The operator claimed the mixer was 1/3 cubic metre
capacity, and based his claim for extra payment on the assumption that
he had completely filled it for each mix.

The brilliance of the design of the whole shebang is illustrated by the
fact that the lorry had to be parked with its back wheeels on two lumps
of timber to get the mixer high enough to tip into a standard builders'
barrow.

Maybe this type would be
more reliable,

Couldn't be any worse.

it certainly worked well for me.

Lucky b..

fred June 19th 06 11:56 AM

Bag of cement weight/size?

In article , Autolycus
writes

"fred" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks for the extra info, looks like there's potentially a lot to screw up in
that method. Think I'll carry on recommending the concept but if you aren't
around to beat me to it I'll be warning of the dangers of open mix over the
mix in the sealed auger.