Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom floor repair Estimate

My elderly mother let the bath overflow a couple of months ago. When we
took the carpet up we found a small area of flooring next to one corner
of the bath (about 6" to 12" across) which was crumbling, probably as a
result of small spills over the last 20 years. A foot away from this was
a patch about 18" across which was more sound but still sufficiently
spongy to be worrying - I think if I'd stamped on it I'd have gone
through the floor. I imagine this is where most of the recent spill
drained through the floor.

She lives in a bungalow with t&g chipboard flooring which hasn't had
need to be touched since the place was built in '79.

The damage to the bathroom floor was surprisingly minimal but enough to
warrant attention.

She's got a single estimate from a guy who wants to replace just a
couple of the boards. He reckons on one day's work & has given her an
estimate of 575ukp.

Does this seem reasonable? I thought it was OTT & was also concerned
there was no breakdown, not even between materials & labour.

The bathroom is tiny, about the length of the bath & probably six feet
wide including the space occupied by the bath. He only intends to
replace one or two sections of board. He mentioned water resistant
boards, though I'm not sure of the benefit of these if only a third or a
quarter of the floor is going to be replaced.

Any opinions welcomed. I'd like her to get a second estimate but she
just wants it out of the way.

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Rozdoba wrote:

My elderly mother let the bath overflow a couple of months ago. When we
took the carpet up we found a small area of flooring next to one corner
of the bath (about 6" to 12" across) which was crumbling, probably as a
result of small spills over the last 20 years. A foot away from this was
a patch about 18" across which was more sound but still sufficiently
spongy to be worrying - I think if I'd stamped on it I'd have gone
through the floor. I imagine this is where most of the recent spill
drained through the floor.

She's got a single estimate from a guy who wants to replace just a
couple of the boards. He reckons on one day's work & has given her an
estimate of 575ukp.

Well, at first glance it looks like daylight robbery.
But, until the damage can be seen, and what needs replacing/moving, then
judgement cannot really be given.
If for instance the bath needs to be moved to get access, then it can be
very time consuming.
If however it is 2 easily accessible floorboards that need cutting out
and replacing, then I'd expect it to be a lot cheaper, probably £150
max.
Without seeing it, a true idea of cost cannot be given.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Rozdoba wrote:
[...]

well if its thoroughly dried out I'd be tempted to get a pack of epoxy
resin and mix it and dilute it a bit with alcohol, pour it on the floor
and let it soak in, and set.

Chances are it will be stronger than the original chipboard.

I don't think its too much of a ripoff..the guy will have to buy stuff,
fiddle about and its probably nearer two days including the time doing
the quote.

The price reflects how little he relishes the task.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Rozdoba" wrote in message
[...]

If the bath doesn't need moving I, do it for £150 incl. materials.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 May 2007 21:47:45 +0100, "Peter"
mused:

"Michael Rozdoba" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I don't think I'd see a proper job done for that.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Michael Rozdoba wrote:

[snip]

Any opinions welcomed. I'd like her to get a second estimate but she
just wants it out of the way.

well if its thoroughly dried out I'd be tempted to get a pack of epoxy
resin and mix it and dilute it a bit with alcohol, pour it on the floor
and let it soak in, and set.

Chances are it will be stronger than the original chipboard.

Thanks for the technique. I'll add it to my list of things that would be
good to remember. Unfortunately I reckon my mother's set on a
'professional' solution now.

I don't think its too much of a ripoff..the guy will have to buy stuff,
fiddle about and its probably nearer two days including the time doing
the quote.

The price reflects how little he relishes the task.

That figures

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Michael Rozdoba wrote:

My elderly mother let the bath overflow a couple of months ago. When we
took the carpet up we found a small area of flooring next to one corner
of the bath (about 6" to 12" across) which was crumbling, probably as a
result of small spills over the last 20 years. A foot away from this was
a patch about 18" across which was more sound but still sufficiently
spongy to be worrying - I think if I'd stamped on it I'd have gone
through the floor. I imagine this is where most of the recent spill
drained through the floor.

She's got a single estimate from a guy who wants to replace just a
couple of the boards. He reckons on one day's work & has given her an
estimate of 575ukp.

Well, at first glance it looks like daylight robbery.

The cost, lack of breakdown & claim it was one day's work made me think
that.

But, until the damage can be seen, and what needs replacing/moving, then
judgement cannot really be given.

The damage isn't great. The flood itself seems to have caused damage to
only a single board - iirc they're about 2' by 8'. However access is a
pain...

If for instance the bath needs to be moved to get access, then it can be
very time consuming.
If however it is 2 easily accessible floorboards that need cutting out
and replacing, then I'd expect it to be a lot cheaper, probably £150
max.

I was expecting around that amount & maybe two or three hours work.

Without seeing it, a true idea of cost cannot be given.
Alan.

Understood.

....The bath won't need moving however I think the hand basin &/or toilet
might. Also, the board in question passes out from the bathroom to the
adjacent hallway. Most of it's width lies within the doorway, however
several inches does run under the internal dividing wall.

If I was 'fixing' it myself, prior to the epoxy method, I'd have been
inclined just to remove the damaged section, but I'd not want to inflict
my bodges on anyone else.

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:

If the bath doesn't need moving I, do it for £150 incl. materials.

If by some fluke you're in the North East of England, mail me (see sig)

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Rozdoba wrote:
SNIP
She's got a single estimate from a guy who wants to replace just a
couple of the boards. He reckons on one day's work & has given her an
estimate of 575ukp.

Does this seem reasonable? I thought it was OTT & was also concerned
there was no breakdown, not even between materials & labour.

A days work for £575? Sounds a bit pricey given that flooring grade
chipboard isn't very expensive.

Having said that, if it's T&G chipboard and has been nailed down it can be a
bitch to get up. Probably have to take the door off for access.

I'd reckon on 2 days to be certain, so £300 + say £40 for wood. That's
without seeing it of course.

The bathroom is tiny, about the length of the bath & probably six feet
wide including the space occupied by the bath. He only intends to
replace one or two sections of board. He mentioned water resistant
boards, though I'm not sure of the benefit of these if only a third
or a quarter of the floor is going to be replaced.

Bathrooms IMO should be floored in water resistant chipboard, but it's not
that much more expensive than ordinary.

Any opinions welcomed. I'd like her to get a second estimate but she
just wants it out of the way.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 8:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Michael Rozdoba wrote:
[...]

That's what I'd do, or even try PVA.

If the guy has quote that much for a days work and it does turn out to
be two as some here have suggested will the actual cost then become
more like a grand? Sounds to me to be expensive although as always
it's supply and demand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 04:52:26 -0700, adder1969
mused:

Michael Rozdoba wrote:
[...]

He hasn't quoted anything, he's estimated. An estimate is just that, a
rough guide as to what it may cost. A quote though, is a quote and
unless the job specifics change (e.g. the joists turn out to be
rotten) then the price should be the price it will cost to do the job,
irrespective of how long it takes.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 04:52:26 -0700, adder1969
mused:

On May 31, 8:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If the guy has quote that much for a days work and it does turn out to
be two as some here have suggested will the actual cost then become
more like a grand?

He hasn't quoted anything, he's estimated. An estimate is just that, a
rough guide as to what it may cost. A quote though, is a quote and
unless the job specifics change (e.g. the joists turn out to be
rotten) then the price should be the price it will cost to do the job,
irrespective of how long it takes.

For the record, I asked my mother to get some quotes for the work,
though I don't know if she asked/got an estimate or a quote. I wrote
estimate earlier on as I sloppily use the two words interchangeably,
which clearly I shouldn't.

I read his letter today - 575ukp to replace part of the floor with water
resistant chipboard & in the process remove & then refit the toilet &
handbasin. He doesn't state how much of the flooring.

Looking again at the damage, I can't see why he needs to touch the
toilet & handbasin as the only seriously effected boards aren't near
that end of the room.

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Michael Rozdoba wrote:
SNIP
She's got a single estimate from a guy who wants to replace just a
couple of the boards. He reckons on one day's work & has given her an
estimate of 575ukp.

Does this seem reasonable? I thought it was OTT & was also concerned
there was no breakdown, not even between materials & labour.

A days work for £575? Sounds a bit pricey given that flooring grade
chipboard isn't very expensive.

Again, my thoughts.

Having said that, if it's T&G chipboard and has been nailed down it can be a
bitch to get up. Probably have to take the door off for access.

Yup, T&G chipboard nailed down.

I'd reckon on 2 days to be certain, so £300 + say £40 for wood. That's
without seeing it of course.

Understood. Wish I'd taken my camera today. Never mind.

The bathroom is tiny, about the length of the bath & probably six feet
wide including the space occupied by the bath. He only intends to
replace one or two sections of board. He mentioned water resistant
boards, though I'm not sure of the benefit of these if only a third
or a quarter of the floor is going to be replaced.

Bathrooms IMO should be floored in water resistant chipboard, but it's not
that much more expensive than ordinary.

I understand that, but am less clear in what the benefit is of doing a
partial replacement with water resistant boards. If there's another
flood, I imagine the process will need to be repeated with a different
section of the old flooring.

Come to that, if the whole bathroom floor is replaced with water
resistant & there's another flood, won't the water spread to adjacent
rooms? Or does the fact the material is water resistant make no
difference to how quickly the water will seep through joins &/or the
board itself?

Any opinions welcomed. I'd like her to get a second estimate but she
just wants it out of the way.

I was over at my mother's again today & tried to persuade her to put
this guy off & let me have a go with epoxy resin. As I expected she
wants this guy to do the work as she's sick of the fuss, even though he
can't do the job until the middle of July. I'm only annoyed as I don't
want to see her get ripped off or waste her money.

The boards seem to have regained most of their strength. The main
problem is a section of edging of one board about 18" long where while
it was soaked the tongue has been broken off, leaving that side
unsupported. Resin in the board & along the join probably would be
enough to rescue it.

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:52:12 +0100, Michael Rozdoba
mused:

Lurch wrote:
[...]

I hate quoting jobs as I usually lose out to people who go in low and
in a cowboy style leave off half the work and pile it back in on
extras. I tend to price for what I think will need doing and also for
what may need doing. Perhaps if you ring and speak to the bloke he
will say he quoted for removing the sink etc... just in case, I have
been known to quote a top whack price on the agreement it won't go
above that but if the job is very much simpler than I suspected it may
have been then I will drop the price.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:52:12 +0100, Michael Rozdoba
mused:

Looking again at the damage, I can't see why he needs to touch the
toilet & handbasin as the only seriously effected boards aren't near
that end of the room.

I hate quoting jobs as I usually lose out to people who go in low and
in a cowboy style leave off half the work and pile it back in on
extras. I tend to price for what I think will need doing and also for
what may need doing. Perhaps if you ring and speak to the bloke he
will say he quoted for removing the sink etc... just in case, I have
been known to quote a top whack price on the agreement it won't go
above that but if the job is very much simpler than I suspected it may
have been then I will drop the price.

I didn't think of that - perhaps as I've never met a tradesman with that
approach

Good advice though; I should speak to him directly.

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t