Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Roof Repair Estimate Reasonable?

I had a long running minor leak around my chimney flashing which was
aggravated by last week's torrential rains in the DC area. A roofer
inspected my damage and estimated that he would have to replace 4
plywood sheets, the flashing, and the shingles, all for $1,200. My
insurance deductible is $1,000. So I'm vacillating whether I will still
have the insurance co. pay for this since the deductible is almost the
same amount as the estimate.

First off, is $1,200 reasonable for labor and materials for replacing a
4 - plywood section of the roof? Secondly, since this is a combination
of a multi-year slow trickling leak and a sudden rain event, will
insurance pay for it? If it will be a big hassle, I might as well pay
for it out of my own pocket.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I had a long running minor leak around my chimney flashing which was
aggravated by last week's torrential rains in the DC area. A roofer
inspected my damage and estimated that he would have to replace 4
plywood sheets, the flashing, and the shingles, all for $1,200. My
insurance deductible is $1,000. So I'm vacillating whether I will still
have the insurance co. pay for this since the deductible is almost the
same amount as the estimate.

First off, is $1,200 reasonable for labor and materials for replacing a
4 - plywood section of the roof? Secondly, since this is a combination
of a multi-year slow trickling leak and a sudden rain event, will
insurance pay for it? If it will be a big hassle, I might as well pay
for it out of my own pocket.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

That price sounds slightly high for my area so it should be about right for
yours.

Never file an insurance claim unless you have a major loss. This may not
even be a covered event and I would think real hard before I filed a $1200
claim with a zero deductible. The black mark is permanent to the property
and hangs around on your book of life for quite some time.

The F@#&% companies will witch hunt you and overcharge or cancel you for
the rest of you life.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yeah, they're going to argue that the rain didn't actually cause the
flashing to spring a leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't even think about going through insurance for this.

And make them use real plywood, not that engineered wood crap. Also,
for that much money, make sure that your getting Americans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also make them prove workers comp and liability insurance BEFORE they
start. This is routine, just call their office (whoever you have do
the work) and tell them to mail you the insurance documentaiton.
Contract should stipulate this as a requirement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I had a long running minor leak around my chimney flashing which was
aggravated by last week's torrential rains in the DC area. A roofer
inspected my damage and estimated that he would have to replace 4
plywood sheets, the flashing, and the shingles, all for $1,200. My
insurance deductible is $1,000. So I'm vacillating whether I will still
have the insurance co. pay for this since the deductible is almost the
same amount as the estimate.

First off, is $1,200 reasonable for labor and materials for replacing a
4 - plywood section of the roof? Secondly, since this is a combination
of a multi-year slow trickling leak and a sudden rain event, will
insurance pay for it? If it will be a big hassle, I might as well pay
for it out of my own pocket.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good evening just getting started with this and seen under the repair
some thing I might be of some help. I do this and many other repairs I
am a roofer and GC Check in side in the attic if you have and count the
sheets that are damaged, if it went on for some time you can try the
insurance but if they see that the damage has taken time to get as bad
as it is they will flag you and still have all of the out of pocket
money. Depending on labor and material there, dump fees, INSURANCE!
PLEASE CHECK 1,2,3 storys, how hard to get on the roof or how easy, can
the dirt from the roof be thrown directly to the truck or have to be
carried, how many men, type of shingles, is the flashing any good
around the shingles, what type ( three tab,arch, the live of the
shingle ( 25 yr,30 yr, )? will he use ice guard around the chimney,
install new flashing, ( step and counter flashing ) or use what is
there sorry for all of the chatter but when I do the work I explain all
of this Frank Jr

roof replacement bid - is this a reasonable bid? spoon2001 Home Repair 3 September 2nd 05 01:08 AM
Shed roof repair, re-tile, fibreglass or felt? Zooologist UK diy 7 November 28th 04 06:48 PM
Flat roof repair Lobster UK diy 1 November 2nd 04 01:49 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
How much to repair roof leak Nehmo Sergheyev UK diy 1 February 12th 04 07:35 PM