Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Is Roof Repair Estimate Reasonable?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I had a long running minor leak around my chimney flashing which was
aggravated by last week's torrential rains in the DC area. A roofer
inspected my damage and estimated that he would have to replace 4
plywood sheets, the flashing, and the shingles, all for $1,200. My
insurance deductible is $1,000. So I'm vacillating whether I will still
have the insurance co. pay for this since the deductible is almost the
same amount as the estimate.

First off, is $1,200 reasonable for labor and materials for replacing a
4 - plywood section of the roof? Secondly, since this is a combination
of a multi-year slow trickling leak and a sudden rain event, will
insurance pay for it? If it will be a big hassle, I might as well pay
for it out of my own pocket.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

That price sounds slightly high for my area so it should be about right for
yours.

Never file an insurance claim unless you have a major loss. This may not
even be a covered event and I would think real hard before I filed a $1200
claim with a zero deductible. The black mark is permanent to the property
and hangs around on your book of life for quite some time.

The F@#&% companies will witch hunt you and overcharge or cancel you for
the rest of you life.

Colbyt