Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheapest striplight fittings for display cases etc?

Hello all,

does anybody know of a source for very cheap fittings for striplights
such as the standard 221mm 30W incandescant double-ended strip bulbs, of
the sort that are used by furniture manufacturers for lighting display
cases, cupboards, under shelves, and that sort of thing?

There are are variety available online but I'm after the cheapest sort
imaginable as they will not be directly visible. Thy don't need integral
switches or to be rated for bathroom/kitchen humidity and all that jazz.
Just the cheapest possible fitting in ugly cheap plastic. Surely I ought
to be able to get something for around a fiver, especially as I need
fifteen of them!

Any leads much appreciated.

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May, 17:13, Michael Kilpatrick
wrote:
Hello all,

does anybody know of a source for very cheap fittings for striplights
such as the standard 221mm 30W incandescant double-ended strip bulbs, of
the sort that are used by furniture manufacturers for lighting display
cases, cupboards, under shelves, and that sort of thing?

There are are variety available online but I'm after the cheapest sort
imaginable as they will not be directly visible. Thy don't need integral
switches or to be rated for bathroom/kitchen humidity and all that jazz.
Just the cheapest possible fitting in ugly cheap plastic. Surely I ought
to be able to get something for around a fiver, especially as I need
fifteen of them!

Any leads much appreciated.

Michael

The one bit of advice I would give, and I'm sure it would be backed up
by all and sundry here. is that the incandescent strip bulbs are a
financial disaster - the bulbs are very short lived and are expensive
to replace. You wold be better in the long run, both from the cost and
downtime point of view to dial up TLC and order in their undercabinet
strip lights eg

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ard/index.html

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/Lighting_K...

Rob

exactly, as well as being unsafe.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello all,

does anybody know of a source for very cheap fittings for striplights...

The one bit of advice I would give, and I'm sure it would be backed up
by all and sundry here. is that the incandescent strip bulbs are a
financial disaster - the bulbs are very short lived and are expensive
to replace. You wold be better in the long run, both from the cost and
downtime point of view to dial up TLC and order in their undercabinet
strip lights eg

Thanks very much. However, I can see that 221mm incandescants from some
suppliers are within a few pence of the price of the 9 inch fluorescents
sold by TLC. Also I think those particular units you showed me are just
too bulky for my application. I need something more slimline if possible.

These lamps are only going to get very occasional use (about one evening
per month if I'm lucky) so the lifetime seems less of an issue, and
already we're talking about twelve pounds per unit for the kitchen under
cupboard units. I've seen a few incandescant 221mm tube fitments for
less than this but none yet that really fit the bill.

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

Thanks very much. However, I can see that 221mm incandescants from some
suppliers are within a few pence of the price of the 9 inch fluorescents
sold by TLC. Also I think those particular units you showed me are just
too bulky for my application. I need something more slimline if possible.

Try these, cheaper still

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ing/index.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

a singlle longer fl tube powered by a separate ballast is as slimline
as you can get, cheaper to buy & cheaper to run. And you get 20,000
hrs per bulb chnage instead of 100/6 = 166 hours etc for filaments.

NT