Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joining washing line

Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

I've always used a reef knot and it doesn't slip. The more strain there is
on it the tighter the knot gets.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May, 18:21, wrote:

Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

Use another type of knot. In extremis you could also tie tight then
dip the joint in boiling water to soften and slightly deform it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

try http://www.animatedknots.com possibly the fishing section.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
.uk...

wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

You serious?

The little U-bolt clamps in Countrywide or any farm shop aren't too bulky (a
bit like miniature exhaust clamps)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:04:51 +0100, "Newshound"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

You serious?

The little U-bolt clamps in Countrywide or any farm shop aren't too bulky (a
bit like miniature exhaust clamps)

Possibly the OP could cannibalise a car battery connector clamp as
they hold the cable with a couple of screws .Whether the rope would go
in to it is another matter .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

I've always used a reef knot and it doesn't slip. The more strain there is
on it the tighter the knot gets.

It doesn't work, I'm afraid. The knot just slips--the ends just pull
themselves out. Yes, I tied a perfect reef knot, and not a granny
knot. Maybe I have different line to everybody else--the plastic is
very soft and thick. It's translucent. I notice that my neighbour's
line has a much thinner plastic coating.

I've just tied two reef knots on top of each other, and I don't seem
to be able to pull that apart. I'll have to see how it goes. If it
doesn't work, I'll have to try some kind of clamping system, as others
have suggested here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

I've always used a reef knot and it doesn't slip. The more strain there
is
on it the tighter the knot gets.

It doesn't work, I'm afraid. The knot just slips--the ends just pull
themselves out. Yes, I tied a perfect reef knot, and not a granny
knot. Maybe I have different line to everybody else--the plastic is
very soft and thick. It's translucent. I notice that my neighbour's
line has a much thinner plastic coating.

binding the ends with insulating tape will stop the knot coming apart

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 17:27:40 GMT, George wrote:

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

You serious?

I think the OP is serious. Plastic covered or monofilament line just
doesn't knot and lock like ordinary rope or string. The suggestion to look
at fishing knots is very sensible. In the fishing section of
http://www.animatedknots.com the albright or blood are the ones to try.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 29 May 2007 17:27:40 GMT, George wrote:

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

You serious?

I think the OP is serious. Plastic covered or monofilament line just
doesn't knot and lock like ordinary rope or string. The suggestion to look
at fishing knots is very sensible. In the fishing section of
http://www.animatedknots.com the albright or blood are the ones to try.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

But if he did want repair then a piece of 1/2" wide x 2" or 3" long and
using a staple gun to staple it together on wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping
tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and
it just works loose.

Will a 30Amp cable block fit the ends of the lines ends?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:31:20 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote
Why not just replace the line? It won't break the bank!

Oh come ON Helen! What would the poster do with the old one?
:-)

Sell it on Ebay!

Or photograph it for the launch issue of "Antique Clothes Line and
Whirly Dryer Collector" Magazine.

See alt.washing.lines.short

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:28 GMT, George wrote:

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

Cheaper than tying a proper knot, hum...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:28 GMT, George wrote:

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

Cheaper than tying a proper knot, hum...

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a
single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length of
washing line.

Rather sad that adults are discussing these things long past midnight...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:57:26 UTC, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:28 GMT, George wrote:

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

Cheaper than tying a proper knot, hum...

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a
single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length of
washing line.

There's a big assumption being made here; that is, that the line broke
(or that longer lengths are available). Perhaps they want it longer than
commonly available lengths...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 May 2007 08:02:46 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:57:26 UTC, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:28 GMT, George wrote:

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

Cheaper than tying a proper knot, hum...

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a
single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length of
washing line.

There's a big assumption being made here; that is, that the line broke
(or that longer lengths are available). Perhaps they want it longer than
commonly available lengths...

I've not used a washing line for many years.

:-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On 30 May 2007 08:02:46 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:57:26 UTC, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:28 GMT, George wrote:

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

Cheaper than tying a proper knot, hum...

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a
single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length

of
washing line.

There's a big assumption being made here; that is, that the line broke
(or that longer lengths are available). Perhaps they want it longer than
commonly available lengths...

I've not used a washing line for many years.

:-)

--
Frank Erskine

Yeah tis a bugger trying to sleep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a
single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length of
washing line.

There's a big assumption being made here; that is, that the line broke
(or that longer lengths are available). Perhaps they want it longer than
commonly available lengths...

I recently replaced my clothes line, buying a 15 metre length for a
ridiculously small amount. In retrospect I probably didn't need even 10
metres but I erred on the side of caution. If I had a situation that
needed the whole 15 metres it would have sagged almost to the ground
when loaded.

It is attached to the hooks on the posts by knots - IIRC figure of
eights rather than simple overhand knots. If I had any doubt about the
safety I would have put a further stop knot on each projecting tail.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:21:15 -0700, flapster001 wrote:

Does anybody know of an inexpensive way to join two lengths of plastic
(wire core) clothes line?

Crimping is probably the most effective but I don't have a crimping tool.

Tying doesn't work because the plastic coating makes it slippery and it
just works loose.

==================================
I don't think you will ever successfully join wire rope (plastic
(wire core)) by knotting.

You could make a satisfactory join by cannibalising bits of a 'choc bloc'
like these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ips/index.html

If you choose the right size you'll be able to thread the rope through to
make intersecting loops.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:28 GMT, George wrote:

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

Cheaper than tying a proper knot, hum...

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a
single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length of
washing line.

Rather sad that adults are discussing these things long past midnight...

I was in the arms of Morpheus by then. At least, that's who he said he was

But surely you're not going to ruin a garment because of a broken line? If
it's so fragile it shouldn't be washed!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On 30 May 2007 08:02:46 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:57:26 UTC, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:28 GMT, George wrote:

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

Cheaper than tying a proper knot, hum...

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a
single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length of
washing line.

There's a big assumption being made here; that is, that the line broke
(or that longer lengths are available). Perhaps they want it longer than
commonly available lengths...

I've not used a washing line for many years.

:-)

It's the envoronmentally friendly thing to do.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote
Why not just replace the line? It won't break the bank!

Oh come ON Helen! What would the poster do with the old one?
:-)

Sell it on Ebay!

Or photograph it for the launch issue of "Antique Clothes Line and Whirly
Dryer Collector" Magazine.

Is that your latest project, Owain? I'll subscribe!

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:10:14 UTC, Roger
wrote:

I recently replaced my clothes line, buying a 15 metre length for a
ridiculously small amount. In retrospect I probably didn't need even 10
metres but I erred on the side of caution. If I had a situation that
needed the whole 15 metres it would have sagged almost to the ground
when loaded.

That's what clothes props are for! :-)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 May 2007 10:47:26 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On 30 May 2007 08:02:46 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:57:26 UTC, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:28 GMT, George wrote:

No I meant it'd far cheaper to replace than any other remedy,

Cheaper than tying a proper knot, hum...

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a
single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length
of washing line.

There's a big assumption being made here; that is, that the line broke
(or that longer lengths are available). Perhaps they want it longer
than commonly available lengths...

I've not used a washing line for many years.

:-)

It's the envoronmentally friendly thing to do.

--
Frank Erskine

==================================
It hasn't always been so.

Cast your mind back to the 1950s when washing lines were made from hemp.
Some people used to smoke them.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Or photograph it for the launch issue of "Antique Clothes Line and Whirly
Dryer Collector" Magazine.

Is that your latest project, Owain? I'll subscribe!

It was a parody of a televisual panel game called "Have I Got News For
You" which each week features a Guest Publication; last week's was Antique
Barbed Wire Collector.

There was once a half hour programme on Radio 4 about barbed wire, its
hisotry and development as well as uses, it was fascinating!

I'm pleased that there's some wit on tv!

Mary

Owain

Fixing washing line Jim Scott UK diy 3 October 9th 06 10:02 PM
Can I use a filter on the washing machine waste line? [email protected] Home Repair 13 May 7th 06 02:29 PM
Washing line problem John Kelly UK diy 5 April 6th 06 12:29 PM
16m Washing Line TheScullster UK diy 6 June 17th 05 11:34 PM