Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing washing line

I need to fix a washing line to a brick wall. I bought a big screw hook
intending to fit a big rawlplug in the mortar between bricks. The guy in
the shop said what I really want is what looks like a chrome plated 6" nail
with a bent over end where the head would be.
I have got both so which do I use and do I just hammer the nail thing in
the mortar or drill a hole, or what?

--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
6 6 is offline

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
6.70...
I need to fix a washing line to a brick wall. I bought a big screw hook
intending to fit a big rawlplug in the mortar between bricks. The guy in
the shop said what I really want is what looks like a chrome plated 6"
nail
with a bent over end where the head would be.
I have got both so which do I use and do I just hammer the nail thing in
the mortar or drill a hole, or what?

Given that a line full of wet washing can be quite heavy I would use an eye
rawlbolt.

Just think of the earache you will get if it all falls on the ground just as
the missus if hanging out the last article ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "6" .@. contains these words:

Given that a line full of wet washing can be quite heavy I would use an eye
rawlbolt.

Though the washing line pulley here survived for 30 years screwed into
the wooden fascia with a couple of 1" #8 screws. Would have lasted
longer, too, if I hadn't dropped a tree on the line.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "6" .@. contains these words:

Given that a line full of wet washing can be quite heavy I would use an
eye
rawlbolt.

Though the washing line pulley here survived for 30 years screwed into
the wooden fascia with a couple of 1" #8 screws. Would have lasted
longer, too, if I hadn't dropped a tree on the line.

Ours has lasted 42 years, the big purpose-made 'nail' was just hammered into
the mortar.

I've never known one pull out, even when lines have broken.

Mary

-- Magnetic motor 1, the static magnetic field 1) Motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 October 3rd 06 01:21 PM
Can I use a filter on the washing machine waste line? [email protected] Home Repair 13 May 7th 06 02:29 PM
Washing line problem John Kelly UK diy 5 April 6th 06 12:29 PM
Telephone Line Problems barry martin Home Repair 1 March 7th 04 03:00 AM
Riello Oil Burner Questions houseslave Home Repair 12 October 17th 03 09:07 PM