Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling old concrete fence posts?

I've got a line of old concrete posts bordering my house, I'd like to
put up a wooden fence, but unfortunately they are spaced wrongly and
intermittently for panels, so the best thing would be a featheredge
lapped fence.
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
I havent tried a diamond drill bit yet, but am not too keen to splash
out on one if that is going to wear out after 2 or 3 holes.
Any thoughts on what I need?
SDS drill with diamond bit?
Give up and dig out all the old posts?
Thanks for any pointers.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.

It may be that you are hitting steel reinforcing bar in the post rather
than a stone.

It it were a stone, a SDS drill and bit would romp through it easily.

If it is rebar, then you can get rebar cutting masonry bits that ought
to do the job. (Just positioning the hole in a different location will
probably help you miss the rebar).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've got a line of old concrete posts bordering my house, I'd like to
put up a wooden fence, but unfortunately they are spaced wrongly and
intermittently for panels, so the best thing would be a featheredge
lapped fence.
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
I havent tried a diamond drill bit yet, but am not too keen to splash
out on one if that is going to wear out after 2 or 3 holes.
Any thoughts on what I need?
SDS drill with diamond bit?
Give up and dig out all the old posts?
Thanks for any pointers.
Alan.

Make panels to fit. It is probably cheaper.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
I've got a line of old concrete posts bordering my house, I'd like to
put up a wooden fence, but unfortunately they are spaced wrongly and
intermittently for panels, so the best thing would be a featheredge
lapped fence.
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
I havent tried a diamond drill bit yet, but am not too keen to splash
out on one if that is going to wear out after 2 or 3 holes.
Any thoughts on what I need?
SDS drill with diamond bit?

SDS with a normal masonry bit. Done it loads of times.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've got a line of old concrete posts bordering my house, I'd like to
put up a wooden fence, but unfortunately they are spaced wrongly and
intermittently for panels, so the best thing would be a featheredge
lapped fence.
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
I havent tried a diamond drill bit yet, but am not too keen to splash
out on one if that is going to wear out after 2 or 3 holes.
Any thoughts on what I need?
SDS drill with diamond bit?
Give up and dig out all the old posts?
Thanks for any pointers.
Alan.

Get some galvanised steel strapping from a builders merchant and wrap it
around the post and screw it to the arris rail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

If it is rebar, then you can get rebar cutting masonry bits that ought
to do the job. (Just positioning the hole in a different location will
probably help you miss the rebar).

Yes, but the holes already drilled will let in water, the rebar will
rust and the concrete post will start to disintegrate. Any holes drilled
need filling pdq. Any others drilled in the post might cause a long term
problem even if they don't hit the rebar.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
I've got a line of old concrete posts bordering my house, I'd like to
put up a wooden fence, but unfortunately they are spaced wrongly and
intermittently for panels, so the best thing would be a featheredge
lapped fence.
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
I havent tried a diamond drill bit yet, but am not too keen to splash
out on one if that is going to wear out after 2 or 3 holes.
Any thoughts on what I need?
SDS drill with diamond bit?
Give up and dig out all the old posts?
Thanks for any pointers.
Alan.

If the posts are morticed for arris rails, there are arris rail bracket
which will fit into the morticee so that you can screw them to the new
arris rails

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I've got a line of old concrete posts ...
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
SDS drill with diamond bit?

SDS with a normal masonry bit. Done it loads of times.

No being picky, but why is a SDS drill with a normal masonry bit, better
than a normal hammer drill with the same bit?
Vibrates/hammers more, or something else?
Thanks
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I've got a line of old concrete posts ...
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the

cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then

the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
SDS drill with diamond bit?

SDS with a normal masonry bit. Done it loads of times.

No being picky, but why is a SDS drill with a normal masonry bit,

better
than a normal hammer drill with the same bit?
Vibrates/hammers more, or something else?
Thanks
Alan.

It's all a matter of 'oomph' - much more 'oomph' in the hammer
action of an sds drill than the cam operated ones on 'hammer drills'.
Most SDS drills use a pneumatic coupling arrangement giving greater
travel.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in
:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I've got a line of old concrete posts ...
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the

cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then

the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
SDS drill with diamond bit?

SDS with a normal masonry bit. Done it loads of times.

These posts normally have reinforcing bars in them just to make life more
difficult
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sds.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in
:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I've got a line of old concrete posts ...
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the

cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then
the drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
SDS drill with diamond bit?

SDS with a normal masonry bit. Done it loads of times.

These posts normally have reinforcing bars in them just to make life
more difficult

True, but drilling a 30mm deep hole for a plastic plug shouldn't reach the
rebar.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Adding concrete to buried fence posts [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 3rd 07 06:15 PM
Concrete Fence Posts John UK diy 17 December 18th 06 04:52 PM
Slotted concrete fence posts ??? gray UK diy 4 June 19th 05 05:30 PM
Drilling holes in vinyl fence posts??? Cheryl Home Repair 7 January 21st 04 10:04 PM
Concrete Fence Posts - setting out Rick Hughes UK diy 4 July 11th 03 08:45 PM