Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Drilling old concrete fence posts?

"A.Lee" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I've got a line of old concrete posts ...
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the

cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then

the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
SDS drill with diamond bit?

SDS with a normal masonry bit. Done it loads of times.

No being picky, but why is a SDS drill with a normal masonry bit,

better
than a normal hammer drill with the same bit?
Vibrates/hammers more, or something else?
Thanks
Alan.

It's all a matter of 'oomph' - much more 'oomph' in the hammer
action of an sds drill than the cam operated ones on 'hammer drills'.
Most SDS drills use a pneumatic coupling arrangement giving greater
travel.

AWEM