Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Race Malcolm Race is offline

Default Drilling old concrete fence posts?

A.Lee wrote:
I've got a line of old concrete posts bordering my house, I'd like to
put up a wooden fence, but unfortunately they are spaced wrongly and
intermittently for panels, so the best thing would be a featheredge
lapped fence.
Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross
battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the
drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further.
I havent tried a diamond drill bit yet, but am not too keen to splash
out on one if that is going to wear out after 2 or 3 holes.
Any thoughts on what I need?
SDS drill with diamond bit?
Give up and dig out all the old posts?
Thanks for any pointers.
Alan.

If the posts are morticed for arris rails, there are arris rail bracket
which will fit into the morticee so that you can screw them to the new
arris rails

Malcolm