Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is Match Board

Hi all

I just bought a couple of sheets of match board for boxing in a toilet
cistern.
What is it exactly, some form of MDF?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 09:11:07 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

I just bought a couple of sheets of match board for boxing in a toilet
cistern.
What is it exactly, some form of MDF?

Phil

Matched boards are traditionally thinnish tongued and grooved boards
used for paneling. The edges of the board are usually chamfered to
make a feature of the joint, unlike flooring boards.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Halmarack" wrote

Matched boards are traditionally thinnish tongued and grooved boards
used for paneling. The edges of the board are usually chamfered to
make a feature of the joint, unlike flooring boards.
--

Thanks Mike

What I have appears to be the cheap and cheerful equivalent of these.
Preformed panel (of mdf or similar) with milled grooves to imitate t&g.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 16:46:23 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Mike Halmarack" wrote

Matched boards are traditionally thinnish tongued and grooved boards
used for paneling. The edges of the board are usually chamfered to
make a feature of the joint, unlike flooring boards.
--

Thanks Mike

What I have appears to be the cheap and cheerful equivalent of these.
Preformed panel (of mdf or similar) with milled grooves to imitate t&g.

Phil

Last time I used anything like that it was pressed and printed on the
face of thin ply. It's quite useful stuff, even when you know it's not
the real thing.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"Mike Halmarack" wrote

Matched boards are traditionally thinnish tongued and grooved boards
used for paneling. The edges of the board are usually chamfered to
make a feature of the joint, unlike flooring boards.
--

Thanks Mike

What I have appears to be the cheap and cheerful equivalent of these.
Preformed panel (of mdf or similar) with milled grooves to imitate t&g.

Phil

That will be hardboard or MDF then.

Actually far more stable than pine in this application.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 17:29:07 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

TheScullster wrote:
"Mike Halmarack" wrote

Matched boards are traditionally thinnish tongued and grooved boards
used for paneling. The edges of the board are usually chamfered to
make a feature of the joint, unlike flooring boards.
--

Thanks Mike

What I have appears to be the cheap and cheerful equivalent of these.
Preformed panel (of mdf or similar) with milled grooves to imitate t&g.

Phil

That will be hardboard or MDF then.

Actually far more stable than pine in this application.

B&Q were selling a MDF (Moisture resistant) panel version;
I used a sheet of 12mm MR MDF and routed grooves in it for use in a
bathroom.
Doesnt look as good as the proper stuff but was a lot more convenient
( and probably more stable) for my particluar project.
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:42:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2007 08:55:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2007 22:39:36 +0100, lid wrote:

ine in this application.
B&Q were selling a MDF (Moisture resistant) panel version;
I used a sheet of 12mm MR MDF and routed grooves in it for use in a
bathroom.
Doesnt look as good as the proper stuff but was a lot more convenient
( and probably more stable) for my particluar project.
Robert
I've never found the real thing to be a problem anywhere, even as bath
panels with a load of bath crazy kids.
I've got some in my bathroom and it shows a 3mm gap in the paint in
winter..which disappears in summer.

Massive shrinkage with varying humidity.

How unfortunate, or do you see it as a positive feature?

No.

I always seem to oil or varnish my matched boarding, probably due to
lack of imagination, so I've never noticed this effect. I also have a
preference for narrow rather than wide boards, which shows less
variation per joint.

Its been stopped, treated with 3-4 coats of primer and undercoat and top
coat.

There are some pretty basic painting methods which include painting
the tongue that are traditionally considered to overcome the visual
effect you mentioned. Framed and paneled doors are often treated
similarly.

I hate the stuff. My wife said 'she thought it would be cheaper than tiling'

I love it, though not so much the painted variety. In a bathroom it
adds a certain warmth to what can often be a cold looking area. I like
tiling too, so I usually mix and match.

So it is, if you discount the amount of work and materials needed to get
it to look even partway decent.

Seems to me that you have an almost perfect excuse for a bit of D-I-Y.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack