Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is Match Board

Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2007 08:55:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2007 22:39:36 +0100, lid wrote:

ine in this application.
B&Q were selling a MDF (Moisture resistant) panel version;
I used a sheet of 12mm MR MDF and routed grooves in it for use in a
bathroom.
Doesnt look as good as the proper stuff but was a lot more convenient
( and probably more stable) for my particluar project.
Robert
I've never found the real thing to be a problem anywhere, even as bath
panels with a load of bath crazy kids.

I've got some in my bathroom and it shows a 3mm gap in the paint in
winter..which disappears in summer.

Massive shrinkage with varying humidity.

How unfortunate, or do you see it as a positive feature?

No.

I always seem to oil or varnish my matched boarding, probably due to
lack of imagination, so I've never noticed this effect. I also have a
preference for narrow rather than wide boards, which shows less
variation per joint.

Its been stopped, treated with 3-4 coats of primer and undercoat and top
coat.

I hate the stuff. My wife said 'she thought it would be cheaper than tiling'

So it is, if you discount the amount of work and materials needed to get
it to look even partway decent.