Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Anti rust dip ?

Hi all

Whilst doing various jobs outside I've had to cut down bolts to shorten them
to a more appropriate length. Problem is this leaves a bare steel end open
to the elements. Is there anything I can dip the cut end into to stop it
rusting ?

Paint isn't really practical as it will clog up the threads, thought about a
rust converter but don't know if this would work on bare steel, really
looking for something that would give an 'instant plating' effect (in terms
of performance not cosmetically)

Cheers

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/about/company.html

if it's good enough for NASA & the MOD ............

they list a UK supplier, I got a can to try and it really is good!
we bought a new wooden table for the patio 6mnths back, I sprayed the metal
bits and it's left outside without a cover, they still look as new with no
sign of rust,well, so far.......it also 'fixed' our creaky floorboards...

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Cross" wrote in message

http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/about/company.html

if it's good enough for NASA & the MOD ............

they list a UK supplier, I got a can to try and it really is good!
we bought a new wooden table for the patio 6mnths back, I sprayed

the metal
bits and it's left outside without a cover, they still look as new

with no
sign of rust,well, so far.......it also 'fixed' our creaky

floorboards...

Pete

Well from a brief scanning of that link, they say it is based on
lanolin. The sewers of Bradford used to be the main UK source of
lanolin, as the wool industry wash water all went down there and it
was extracted. May still be perhaps?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

Hi all

Whilst doing various jobs outside I've had to cut down bolts to shorten them
to a more appropriate length. Problem is this leaves a bare steel end open
to the elements. Is there anything I can dip the cut end into to stop it
rusting ?

Paint isn't really practical as it will clog up the threads, thought about a
rust converter but don't know if this would work on bare steel, really
looking for something that would give an 'instant plating' effect (in terms
of performance not cosmetically)

Splash out for stainless steel bolts for outside work. Anything else
will rust at some point. I have just avoided the need for a new loo seat
due to the screws holding the plastic buffers on rusting and dropping
rust on the top of the pan. I had to drill some of them out but the
stainless screws I put in instead won't rust. I reckon its not just
price that stops companies using them in such situations. Things have to
have some built in obsolescence or who will buy new ones? It helped that
I had some appropriate A2 screws, now all I have to do is remember to
recover them when SWMBO wants a new bathroom suite....

Peter

www.the-brights.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Ashby wrote:
Splash out for stainless steel bolts for outside work. Anything else
will rust at some point. I have just avoided the need for a new loo seat
due to the screws holding the plastic buffers on rusting and dropping
rust on the top of the pan. I had to drill some of them out but the
stainless screws I put in instead won't rust.

Good quality toilet fittings used to be chrome plated brass. Steel won't
last five minutes.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Anti-Masonry Anti-Masonic N. T. Mason Home Repair 29 May 5th 07 06:47 PM
Dip tube question Roger Shoaf Home Repair 2 April 1st 07 09:25 PM
DIP switches gary Home Ownership 1 November 9th 06 04:19 PM
that red "anti-rust" primer dries *SO* dang slow - what's faster?maybe add cobalt drier? dave Metalworking 12 April 10th 06 04:33 AM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM