Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dave

Default that red "anti-rust" primer dries *SO* dang slow - what's faster?maybe add cobalt drier?

I have a few 'various stages of rusty' rollaway toolboxes I need to
repaint. after my sanding and solvent-cleaning prep work, I'd 'like' to
spray 'em with that red anti-rust primer (oil based, rustoleum is
probably what I'd be using) before their final color coat(s). problem is
I just haven't got a spare week to sit around while the stuff dries hard
enough to paint over. anybody else ever notice how -s l o w- that stuff
dries?

what about adding some 'cobalt drier' to it to 'speed up the dry time'?
anybody ever done that? I have some it laying around here, but I've
never used it...

are there any -vastly- better metal primer alternatives, in terms of
'dry time' and 'anti-rust' abilities? ps-I'm not gonna go down
'whole-hog, hi-tech ospho, conversion coatings and metal-prep roads'
before I paint these; they're just old toolboxes.

thanks for advice, guys,

toolie

==
replies by e-mail, if any, will need to remove the 'weird stuff' from my
e-mail address before slicking 'send'. thanks :-)
==
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

dave wrote:
[...]

I had some week-to-dry red oxide primer once. Best thing I ever did was just
throw it out. I think it's a bad batch. I bought 12 cans recently of a
commercial quick-dry red primer which is just wonderful. The cans look el cheapo
but they paint just great and the paint dries fast and goes on well. Keep looking.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Shopdog

I was putting up a new mailbox and of course SWMBO decides it must MUST
match the house. The only paint that I had that matched the house was that
damn Rustoleum oil based. I thought this is just going to take too long.
BUT, I got a thought, why not heat the mailbox up to about 100* then shoot
it and put it back on heat for awhile. I did just that, and in about 4 hours
(just before the mail "person" was to arrive) I had the box back out on the
post.I even had to thin the paint which in turn lengthens the drying
process. I'm sure it wasn't cured completely but I was able to get it back
outside. That was last weekend and since we had a few nice days it had time
to cure through. At least it wasn't tacky when I put it back up.
I usually heat up my Coleman gas items before I repaint them, it has
always worked very well in that I am able to get a good coat on them and
still be able to move them out of the booth and get on the next one.

Searcher

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

The reason that Rustoleum dries so slowly is that it contains oils which are
meant to penetrate the bonded rust. Primers that dry fast, such as
automotive primers, are meant to be used only over clean metal. A fast
drying primer applied over rust will dry on the surface, and the finish may
chip, flake or peel later on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs

"dave" wrote in message
I have a few 'various stages of rusty' rollaway toolboxes I need to
repaint. after my sanding and solvent-cleaning prep work, I'd 'like' to
spray 'em with that red anti-rust primer (oil based, rustoleum is probably
what I'd be using) before their final color coat(s). problem is I just
haven't got a spare week to sit around while the stuff dries hard enough to
paint over. anybody else ever notice how -s l o w- that stuff dries?
==

Rustoleum is incredibly slow to dry. Even warming the part doesn't help
much.

2 alternatives.

Go to the local ACE hardware and get their house brand rust preventive red
primer. Big can,
good nozzle, around $4. By the time you get finished with the part and clear
the spray nozzle it is dry.

Or use ZeroRust primer. You might have to look for it, not every store
carries it. Stuff dries really
fast, less than 30 minutes. regular size can, standard nozzle, around $8.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"dave" wrote in message
I have a few 'various stages of rusty' rollaway toolboxes I need to
repaint.

You might consider just spraying them with so-called "cold galvanizing"
paint if you don't mind the funky dull gray look.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Rustoleum is typically very slow drying. They use some solvents that
will eat other paints, even eat Rustoleum paint if you don't let it
harden. Ditch the Rustoleum except for long dry top coats.

Most of the usual primers are designed for adhesion to the base metal,
quick dry, easy to sand, and good adhesion for the top coat. They are
NOT designed for rust prevention. The only primers GOOD for rust
prevention are the 2 part epoxy body primers.

dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:12:31 -0400, dave
wrote:

[...]

You don't have to wait. You can put on the finish coat within (I
believe) one hour or after 48.
Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy but deplores the crappy spam line they tag on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

"dave" wrote in message
I have a few 'various stages of rusty' rollaway toolboxes I need to
repaint. after my sanding and solvent-cleaning prep work, I'd 'like' to
spray 'em with that red anti-rust primer (oil based, rustoleum is probably
what I'd be using) before their final color coat(s). problem is I just
haven't got a spare week to sit around while the stuff dries hard enough to
paint over. anybody else ever notice how -s l o w- that stuff dries?

DON'T use red rustoleum! It's not your typical red primer. It's called
Rusty Metal Primer for a reason. It's made specifically for heavily rusted
metal and will never completely dry on clean or lightly rusted metal. It
has fish oil in it that's supposed to penetrate the rust. If there isn't
enough rust the oil will rise to the surface of the primer over time and
cause all kinds of problems. I learned this the hard way and then found out
more about it on their Web site:

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...5&SBL=1&dds=17

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Keith Marshall" wrote: (clip) It's called Rusty Metal Primer for a
reason. It's made specifically for heavily rusted metal and will never
completely dry on clean or lightly rusted metal. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's refreshing to see a post that is exactly on point. (I used to own a
paint store, and I know you are correct.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

[...]

Ditzler PPG epoxy primer as DP-40. Incredibly durable stuff with
excellent adhesion and rust-prevention properties.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

"Leo Lichtman" wrote
"Keith Marshall" wrote: (clip) It's called Rusty Metal Primer for a
reason. It's made specifically for heavily rusted metal and will never
completely dry on clean or lightly rusted metal. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's refreshing to see a post that is exactly on point. (I used to own a
paint store, and I know you are correct.)

Thanks for the kind words! I've been known to put my foot in my mouth a
time or two so I try to only offer input when I can back it up with a decent
reference. :-)

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Roy" wrote in message
Pitch the rustoleum, and go to any good auto body shop supply and get
some red oxide auto primer or some other type of primer, as they have
tons of various primers well suited for what your wanting to do...By
the time you spray the boxes, and clean up the gun somewhat, it will
be dry enough to shoot the finish coat on and be done with it
all......Rustoleum is just too chancey..Sometimes it dires quick other
times it takes days or weeks to dry.....

What Roy said. I've had excellent results and good fortune with auto type
primers. Make sure they're not primer-surfacer, though, unless you're
trying to fill minor defects and intend to do some serious sanding.

Harold