Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default that red "anti-rust" primer dries *SO* dang slow - what's faster?maybe add cobalt drier?

Rustoleum is typically very slow drying. They use some solvents that
will eat other paints, even eat Rustoleum paint if you don't let it
harden. Ditch the Rustoleum except for long dry top coats.

Most of the usual primers are designed for adhesion to the base metal,
quick dry, easy to sand, and good adhesion for the top coat. They are
NOT designed for rust prevention. The only primers GOOD for rust
prevention are the 2 part epoxy body primers.

dave wrote:
I have a few 'various stages of rusty' rollaway toolboxes I need to
repaint. after my sanding and solvent-cleaning prep work, I'd 'like' to
spray 'em with that red anti-rust primer (oil based, rustoleum is
probably what I'd be using) before their final color coat(s). problem is
I just haven't got a spare week to sit around while the stuff dries hard
enough to paint over. anybody else ever notice how -s l o w- that stuff
dries?

what about adding some 'cobalt drier' to it to 'speed up the dry time'?
anybody ever done that? I have some it laying around here, but I've
never used it...

are there any -vastly- better metal primer alternatives, in terms of
'dry time' and 'anti-rust' abilities? ps-I'm not gonna go down
'whole-hog, hi-tech ospho, conversion coatings and metal-prep roads'
before I paint these; they're just old toolboxes.

thanks for advice, guys,

toolie

==
replies by e-mail, if any, will need to remove the 'weird stuff' from my
e-mail address before slicking 'send'. thanks :-)
==