Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default collecting grey water from first floor bathroom

Chums

The downpipe from our bathroom is ideally placed for us to pop in
something to catch the water en route to the drains, for recycling in
the garden.

But with four in the house, there's a lot of bathwater each day, so
catching and storing it all is not an option (ie excacvating the
garden for a really big water store is not an option), so I'm guessing
I'd want something that would either

a - automatatically route grey water into water container when
container iisn't full, otherwise route down drains

b - manual option for me to divert water into water container

Any pointers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:01:45 +0100, Maurice W wrote:

|!Chums
|!
|!The downpipe from our bathroom is ideally placed for us to pop in
|!something to catch the water en route to the drains, for recycling in
|!the garden.
|!
|!But with four in the house, there's a lot of bathwater each day, so
|!catching and storing it all is not an option (ie excacvating the
|!garden for a really big water store is not an option), so I'm guessing
|!I'd want something that would either
|!
|!a - automatatically route grey water into water container when
|!container iisn't full, otherwise route down drains
|!
|!b - manual option for me to divert water into water container
|!
|!Any pointers?

Beware grey water is *grey* and bungs up everything and gets smelly.
Done it in a drought several years ago. Used 1 1/4 ins waste pipe run as
near horizontal with 1/4 ins holes in the top every 12 ins. If the pipe is
not horizontal the water mostly runs to the lowest point and forms a puddle
there.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:01:45 +0100, Maurice W mused:

Chums

The downpipe from our bathroom is ideally placed for us to pop in
something to catch the water en route to the drains, for recycling in
the garden.

But with four in the house, there's a lot of bathwater each day, so
catching and storing it all is not an option (ie excacvating the
garden for a really big water store is not an option), so I'm guessing
I'd want something that would either

a - automatatically route grey water into water container when
container iisn't full, otherwise route down drains

Container filled from existing down pipe(s) from grey water sources.
Fit overflow fro container of ample capacity to empty quicker than it
fills routed to the existing grey water drain.

Simple, common sense is required for DIY really.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:01:45 +0100, Maurice W wrote:

a - automatatically route grey water into water container when
container iisn't full, otherwise route down drains

Easy enough to do, water butt or container pipe waste into container.
Arrange overflow from container to go down the drain. Be aware that the
overflow needs to be able to cope with the flow in from a 1 1/2" bath
waste a bit of 20mm normal overflow pipe and fittings won't cut it...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 May, 14:01, Maurice W wrote:
Chums

The downpipe from our bathroom is ideally placed for us to pop in
something to catch the water en route to the drains, for recycling in
the garden.

But with four in the house, there's a lot of bathwater each day, so
catching and storing it all is not an option (ie excacvating the
garden for a really big water store is not an option), so I'm guessing
I'd want something that would either

a - automatatically route grey water into water container when
container iisn't full, otherwise route down drains

b - manual option for me to divert water into water container

Any pointers?

Standard rainwater divertor does all those.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...esting_%26_Use

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:23:14 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:01:45 +0100, Maurice W mused:

Chums

The downpipe from our bathroom is ideally placed for us to pop in
something to catch the water en route to the drains, for recycling in
the garden.

But with four in the house, there's a lot of bathwater each day, so
catching and storing it all is not an option (ie excacvating the
garden for a really big water store is not an option), so I'm guessing
I'd want something that would either

a - automatatically route grey water into water container when
container iisn't full, otherwise route down drains

Container filled from existing down pipe(s) from grey water sources.
Fit overflow fro container of ample capacity to empty quicker than it
fills routed to the existing grey water drain.

Simple, common sense is required for DIY really.

you are an objectionable ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 18:04:17 GMT, john.green mused:

wrote:

[...]

I know.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Maurice W writes:
Chums

The downpipe from our bathroom is ideally placed for us to pop in
something to catch the water en route to the drains, for recycling in
the garden.

But with four in the house, there's a lot of bathwater each day, so
catching and storing it all is not an option (ie excacvating the
garden for a really big water store is not an option), so I'm guessing
I'd want something that would either

You don't want to store grey water at all. It will start ponging,
particularly during the summer and because it starts off warm.
Run it directly onto the garden.

Some warnings: it's not clean -- don't splash it over fruit and
veg that you are going to eat. In Australia where use of grey
water is more common, it is required that it be discharged below
the soil surface so that it cannot come into contact with edible
fruit and leaves. This reduced incidence of food poisoning. Never
use grey water from a kitchen (or anywhere where uncooked meat and
gone-off food is handled/washed) on areas where food is grown as
that can have a significantly higher concentration of pathogens
(not to mention detergents, fats, and other nasty cleaning products).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
writes
On 12 May, 14:01, Maurice W wrote:
Chums

The downpipe from our bathroom is ideally placed for us to pop in
something to catch the water en route to the drains, for recycling in
the garden.

But with four in the house, there's a lot of bathwater each day, so
catching and storing it all is not an option (ie excacvating the
garden for a really big water store is not an option), so I'm guessing
I'd want something that would either

a - automatatically route grey water into water container when
container iisn't full, otherwise route down drains

b - manual option for me to divert water into water container

Any pointers?

Standard rainwater divertor does all those.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...esting_%26_Use

Yeah, but all these suggestion for collecting from the down pipe will
only work if the discharge is into a downpipe. Will apply to lots of
older houses yes, but not where it goes straight into the soil stack

There are various things a round for diverting waste water, you can get
a manual syphon device with a little hand operated pump to prime it, and
there is (or use to be) some sort of device that you put in the waste
pipe and operated with a cord to divert the water when you wanted to.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maurice W wrote:

Chums

The downpipe from our bathroom is ideally placed for us to pop in
something to catch the water en route to the drains, for recycling in
the garden.

But with four in the house, there's a lot of bathwater each day, so
catching and storing it all is not an option (ie excacvating the
garden for a really big water store is not an option), so I'm guessing
I'd want something that would either

a - automatatically route grey water into water container when
container iisn't full, otherwise route down drains

b - manual option for me to divert water into water container

Any pointers?

This would satisfy your manual option, but it is not cheap.
http://www.watertwo.co.uk/

HTH Adam