Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weatherboarding over concrete blocks

My wooden workshop is old - old when I bought the house 30 years ago -
and the weather facing face requires major surgery.

The original frame was just sitting on the concrete base and has
rotted totally at the bottom. I've decided to build a row of standard
concrete blocks onto the concrete and then rebuild the framing onto
that with a dpm.

What I would like to do is to continue the new weatherboarding down
over this row of concrete blocks - looks rather than anything else -
but can't immediately see a satisfactory solution to do this. The
blocks are 200 mm high and it would a row and a half of the
weatherboarding.

Looking for neat suggestions please.

Many thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
My wooden workshop is old - old when I bought the house 30 years ago -
and the weather facing face requires major surgery.

The original frame was just sitting on the concrete base and has
rotted totally at the bottom. I've decided to build a row of standard
concrete blocks onto the concrete and then rebuild the framing onto
that with a dpm.

What I would like to do is to continue the new weatherboarding down
over this row of concrete blocks - looks rather than anything else -
but can't immediately see a satisfactory solution to do this. The
blocks are 200 mm high and it would a row and a half of the
weatherboarding.

Looking for neat suggestions please.

Glue them on with dabs of resin fixing perhaps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"robgraham" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wooden workshop is old - old when I bought the house 30 years ago -
and the weather facing face requires major surgery.

The original frame was just sitting on the concrete base and has
rotted totally at the bottom. I've decided to build a row of standard
concrete blocks onto the concrete and then rebuild the framing onto
that with a dpm.

What I would like to do is to continue the new weatherboarding down
over this row of concrete blocks - looks rather than anything else -
but can't immediately see a satisfactory solution to do this. The
blocks are 200 mm high and it would a row and a half of the
weatherboarding.

Looking for neat suggestions please.

Many thanks

Rob

Drill plug screw

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr, 17:23, "TMC" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

ups.com...

My wooden workshop is old - old when I bought the house 30 years ago -
and the weather facing face requires major surgery.

The original frame was just sitting on the concrete base and has
rotted totally at the bottom. I've decided to build a row of standard
concrete blocks onto the concrete and then rebuild the framing onto
that with a dpm.

What I would like to do is to continue the new weatherboarding down
over this row of concrete blocks - looks rather than anything else -
but can't immediately see a satisfactory solution to do this. The
blocks are 200 mm high and it would a row and a half of the
weatherboarding.

Looking for neat suggestions please.

Many thanks

Rob

Drill plug screw

Tony

Yes I thought of that but then the cladding wood will be in contact
with the concrete blocks - it's that that I need to avoid.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"robgraham" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 29 Apr, 17:23, "TMC" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

skirt of DPC first?

Better job may be with the frame flush to the blocks felt or DPC the frame
then put roofing lath on to the frame and over the blocks then board. Most
of the board is then in the air so to speak and the felt provides far better
waterproofing/draught proofing than the boards alone would

Or set the frame (if it is wide enough) say 25mm over the edge of the
concrete blocks and use roofing lath on the blocks alone to bring the bottom
boards out to the same level

Tony