Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making concrete blocks

Having just poured the slab for a tool shed which will be built out of
100mm dense concrete blocks I find myself with a pile of ballast left
over. It occurs to me the most effect way of disposing of the agregate
is to turn it into blocks. Has anyone made blocks before?

Wet mix or dry mix? Wooden form or metal form? I know it'll be tedious
but probably better than trying to lose the ballast around the garden
!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

At the current cost of oil to act as a releasing agent,it would be cheaper
to dump the ballast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alex wrote:
At the current cost of oil to act as a releasing agent,it would be cheaper
to dump the ballast.

Ah, but what about the cost of the fuel needed to transport said ballast
to the dump?!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Having just poured the slab for a tool shed which will be built out of
100mm dense concrete blocks I find myself with a pile of ballast left
over.

How about concrete dwarf walls for the shed? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Having just poured the slab for a tool shed which will be built

out of
100mm dense concrete blocks I find myself with a pile of ballast

left
over.

How about concrete dwarf walls for the shed? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

John, yes that was my first thought but I rejected it as not knowing
exactly how much is there I'll end up buying more of the d*** stuff to
finish the walls, and then have another pile to get rid of !!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Having just poured the slab for a tool shed which will be built

out of
100mm dense concrete blocks I find myself with a pile of ballast

left
over.

How about concrete dwarf walls for the shed? ;-)

John, yes that was my first thought but I rejected it as not knowing
exactly how much is there I'll end up buying more of the d*** stuff to
finish the walls, and then have another pile to get rid of !!!

Perfect excuse for a 4 storey shed. 'Well honey, I guess I'm not much
good with working out volumes, and I couldnt waste it could I'

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Having just poured the slab for a tool shed which will be built out of
concrete blocks I find myself with a pile of ballast left over.

How about concrete dwarf walls for the shed?

That was my first thought but I rejected it as not knowing
how much is there, I'll end up buying more of the stuff to finish the walls.

Try and work out what volume you can make and if it is worth making a
large former do so with a spare 2x4 to allow you to make an insert if
there is a shortfall. Otherwise it's merely a matter of buying one or
two bocks and putting 2x4's around them with screws or clamps if you
have them.

Then you can make the blocks at your leisure. With a little more clever
planning you can make them in situ. Pour them straight onto the course
below. In which case you are able to lay a full course at a time and
get the levels spot on.

It's going to want whitewashing or rendering afterwards though, as the
colours of the various mixes and the different levels will look odd.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Then you can make the blocks at your leisure. With a little more clever
planning you can make them in situ. Pour them straight onto the course
below. In which case you are able to lay a full course at a time and
get the levels spot on.

It's going to want whitewashing or rendering afterwards though, as the
colours of the various mixes and the different levels will look odd.

Thats the one downside of poured walls, they dont look very good. I
wonder if attaching little bits of half round moulding to the former to
break the appearance up into block shapes would work.

NT