tom patton

Default cutting concrete blocks

Hi all
The brickie comes tomorrow to start building my extension.It needs 700
18x8x4 7 N blocks.He told me he would need several half blocks cut.Out with
the diamond blade Stihl saw on with the water system--help!! the marking
lines obscured/washed off by concrete gunk.
Is there a jig I can buy or do I have to bodge something up I was thinking
made of 2x2-yup Im an old imperialist its much superior to simple metric
3/4-1/2-1/4-1/8-1/18-1/32-1/64-et al.

Rick

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 06:59:02 GMT, "tom patton"
wrote:

Hi all
The brickie comes tomorrow to start building my extension.It needs 700
18x8x4 7 N blocks.He told me he would need several half blocks cut.Out with
the diamond blade Stihl saw on with the water system--help!! the marking
lines obscured/washed off by concrete gunk.
Is there a jig I can buy or do I have to bodge something up I was thinking
made of 2x2-yup Im an old imperialist its much superior to simple metric
3/4-1/2-1/4-1/8-1/18-1/32-1/64-et al.

4 inch Bolster and lump hammer do the job just fine.

put block on FLAT, CLEAN surface, score a line, wack a line with a
couple of wacks on the bolster at each end, then a couple more with
harder wacks - it shoule be throught by now.

The the under surface is not flat & clean it will effect where the cut
goes.

Rick

fred

In article , tom
patton writes
Hi all
The brickie comes tomorrow to start building my extension.It needs 700
18x8x4 7 N blocks.He told me he would need several half blocks cut.Out with
the diamond blade Stihl saw on with the water system--help!! the marking
lines obscured/washed off by concrete gunk.

Use the force Luke . . . .
I dunno, lines, jigs, pah!
--
fred
Grunff

tom patton wrote:
Hi all
The brickie comes tomorrow to start building my extension.It needs 700
18x8x4 7 N blocks.He told me he would need several half blocks cut.Out with
the diamond blade Stihl saw on with the water system--help!! the marking
lines obscured/washed off by concrete gunk.
Is there a jig I can buy or do I have to bodge something up I was thinking
made of 2x2-yup Im an old imperialist its much superior to simple metric
3/4-1/2-1/4-1/8-1/18-1/32-1/64-et al.

If they're concrete (not aerated), then a block guillotine is a much
nicer way to cut them. You can hire these (about £12/day last time) from
most tool hire places.

If they're aerated, a hand saw is the best way.

--
Grunff
tom patton

brickie appeared weilding an engineering hammer with a pointed face and
proceeded to cut all his blocks by scribing a line with his hammer round the
blocks then tapping them on the line-everything done by eye.
but
it only works for half and 3/4 blocks you need the saw etc for cutting
longways and1/4 blocks-at least for 7 N heavy blocks.
nunff" wrote in message
tom patton wrote:
Hi all
The brickie comes tomorrow to start building my extension.It needs 700
18x8x4 7 N blocks.He told me he would need several half blocks cut.Out

with
the diamond blade Stihl saw on with the water system--help!! the marking
lines obscured/washed off by concrete gunk.
Is there a jig I can buy or do I have to bodge something up I was

thinking
made of 2x2-yup Im an old imperialist its much superior to simple metric
3/4-1/2-1/4-1/8-1/18-1/32-1/64-et al.

If they're concrete (not aerated), then a block guillotine is a much
nicer way to cut them. You can hire these (about £12/day last time) from
most tool hire places.

If they're aerated, a hand saw is the best way.

--
Grunff

How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Repairing concrete floor in shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 June 3rd 04 08:18 AM
Acid vs. concrete. Cafe1 Home Repair 17 May 13th 04 02:39 AM
Waterproofing for concrete blocks? Suzu Home Repair 7 May 8th 04 05:09 AM
Cost to install a concrete pad? The Other Harry Home Repair 11 January 11th 04 08:53 PM