Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shrub stump grinding/removal ?

Last year my wife cut down a few old shrubs in the garden.

All very well but of course the remaining roots/stumps still occupy the
ground that we would like to put back to active use.

Last summer I applied proprietary stump killer but of course this only stops
it growing and does not degrade the stump.

With the largest stump I have now excavated around it and cut roots
underneath where I can ( with a small angle grinder ) however it is still
solid.

I think I need to hire a stump grinder ? perhaps not the most heavy duty as
its a shrub and not a tree.?

Any ideas on types & availability ? OT any other ideas on removal /
destruction.

link to Photos of excavated stump for your assistance. you may need to cut &
paste this into your browser.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ric...6ffre2&.src=ph

Ignore the "chimney make good" album as this is a job now completed.

Many thanks for any ideas.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Fate wrote:
[...]

If you have access/space, hiring a digger or mini digger may be
easier/cheaper.

Just dig under and lever it up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jack Fate" wrote in message
Last year my wife cut down a few old shrubs in the garden.

All very well but of course the remaining roots/stumps still occupy the
ground that we would like to put back to active use.

Get in time machine, go back to last year, apply block and tackle to shrub
and something solid, crank it up, job done ;-)

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Jack Fate wrote:
OT any other ideas on removal /
destruction.

A winch.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is surprising how much you can do with simple things you may have around
the house to do this. I removed a whole shrubbery of stumps by looping a
padlock and chain under them and applying various methods of leverage. In
most cases, a fence post through the chain loop, with one end balanced on
bricks - a series of thicker ones as you lever out higher - then through the
loop and heave on the other end, was sufficient to get the stumps out. More
stubborn ones can be assisted with a car jack under one end of the fence
post: this is a really easy way: you just wind the stump out of the ground
(Though in this case the jack goes under the SHORT end of the post while you
brace the long end.). Where the jack and chain won't fit, a doubled or even
quadrupled up length of rope, looped round a tree or anything else solid
enough, makes a good tourniquet (I use tourniquets on all sorts of odd
jobs.)

Only things I am left with are *!*!*!* mahonia roots, and Japanese anemone
and Green Alkanet roots - these all go right down into solid chalk, break
off when you pull them, and are completely impervious to weedkillers, no
matter how much one spends on them!

"Jack Fate" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jack Fate" wrote in message

Any ideas on types & availability ? OT any other ideas on removal /
destruction.

Stump grinder seems a bit OTT for that size of stump. Pickaxes don't cost
much and can apply some some serious leverage. You'll need to do a bit more
digging and loosening but I wouldn't have thought that it would be *that*
hard.

If you don't mind mess, I have heard of a pressure washer being used to
loosen roots. It will be *very* messy though.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Fate wrote:
Last year my wife cut down a few old shrubs in the garden.

All very well but of course the remaining roots/stumps still occupy
the ground that we would like to put back to active use.

snip

If it wasn't so close to that wall and you had access i'd say get a decent
strap/chain round it and use a 4x4 to drag it out. I have a feeling that
you'd take the wall with it tho....

Is there an established tree nearby? If so, protect the trunk and get a
block and tackle on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Tim Downie" contains these words:

Any ideas on types & availability ? OT any other ideas on removal /
destruction.

Stump grinder seems a bit OTT for that size of stump. Pickaxes don't cost
much and can apply some some serious leverage. You'll need to do a
bit more
digging and loosening but I wouldn't have thought that it would be *that*
hard.

I have taken out considerably bigger stumps than that with a mattock
which is a better tool for the job than a pickaxe. One problem in this
case is the house wall behind which will limit the amount of effort a
sensible user would put into his swing. Undermining the possibly shallow
foundations of said wall attempting to grub out the root could also be a
problem.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Fate wrote:
Last year my wife cut down a few old shrubs in the garden.

All very well but of course the remaining roots/stumps still occupy
the ground that we would like to put back to active use.

Last summer I applied proprietary stump killer but of course this
only stops it growing and does not degrade the stump.

With the largest stump I have now excavated around it and cut roots
underneath where I can ( with a small angle grinder ) however it is
still solid.

I found a long-bladed electric sabre-saw to be very effective in removing
similar stumps. Just plunge the blade into the soil and work your way round
the stump, angling underneath it slightly. Periodically whack it with a
sledgehammer, or lever it with a crowbar, and you'll easily get a feel for
where there are roots remaining.

"Easy" (haha) stump removal? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 24 May 16th 05 01:34 PM
Stump Removal Bob Simon Home Repair 2 April 11th 05 12:09 AM
Grinding a tree stump orangetrader Home Repair 12 March 16th 05 06:05 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM
stump removal; 3 feet too high? Doug Mitchell Home Repair 14 August 19th 03 03:23 AM