orangetrader

Default Grinding a tree stump

I wanted to remove a tree in my front yard and the company I contacted gave
me a quote. He also said he can grind deep into the ground if I plan to
plant another tree. This sounds like a good idea so I said let's do it. He
then told me if he were to do this it could cause problems I need to be
aware of. I am glad he brought it up and now I am not so sure...he said the
grinder is a mean machine and when it grinds it is loud and it shakes like
hell. He said it has been know to shake in such a way it knock loose
dentures, or cause copper water pipes to crack inside walls or PVC drains to
snap open under slabs or sometimes windows to misalign such that it gets
"sticky". It sounds like it might not be worth it...or am I worrying too
much?

bumtracks

just have it cut of real close to the ground level then toss some sugar on
it every few days. bugs will eventually , pretty quick actually, turn it
to mush. Problem might be the little sugar termites may invade your yard
so much that they start eating the structure wood. Easy to fix though,,,
call Orkin.

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I wanted to remove a tree in my front yard and the company I contacted gave
me a quote. He also said he can grind deep into the ground if I plan to
plant another tree. This sounds like a good idea so I said let's do it.
He
then told me if he were to do this it could cause problems I need to be
aware of. I am glad he brought it up and now I am not so sure...he said
the
grinder is a mean machine and when it grinds it is loud and it shakes like
hell. He said it has been know to shake in such a way it knock loose
dentures, or cause copper water pipes to crack inside walls or PVC drains
snap open under slabs or sometimes windows to misalign such that it gets
"sticky". It sounds like it might not be worth it...or am I worrying too
much?

Brian

Just had 2 very large stumps ground out of my front yard. He did gring under
ground level at least 6 inches. They were both roughly 20 feet and I had no
problems. I only have copper water lines but I think your worrying abit too
much.

--

---------------------------------------
Brian A. Dye

http://tech-home.com
---------------------------------------

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I wanted to remove a tree in my front yard and the company I contacted gave
me a quote. He also said he can grind deep into the ground if I plan to
plant another tree. This sounds like a good idea so I said let's do it.
He
then told me if he were to do this it could cause problems I need to be
aware of. I am glad he brought it up and now I am not so sure...he said
the
grinder is a mean machine and when it grinds it is loud and it shakes like
hell. He said it has been know to shake in such a way it knock loose
dentures, or cause copper water pipes to crack inside walls or PVC drains
snap open under slabs or sometimes windows to misalign such that it gets
"sticky". It sounds like it might not be worth it...or am I worrying too
much?

Abe

I wanted to remove a tree in my front yard and the company I contacted gave
me a quote. He also said he can grind deep into the ground if I plan to
plant another tree. This sounds like a good idea so I said let's do it. He
then told me if he were to do this it could cause problems I need to be
aware of. I am glad he brought it up and now I am not so sure...he said the
grinder is a mean machine and when it grinds it is loud and it shakes like
hell. He said it has been know to shake in such a way it knock loose
dentures, or cause copper water pipes to crack inside walls or PVC drains to
snap open under slabs or sometimes windows to misalign such that it gets
"sticky". It sounds like it might not be worth it...or am I worrying too
much?

-------
If the stump is not on top of a water or gas line you won't have any
problems. The grinder WILL toss pebbles it encounters with
considerable force, though. So you should cover anything damageable
within 10 feet to the 'rear' of the grinder with a heavy tarp or
plywood.
Buck Turgidson

[...]

There must be different size grinders because some shouldn't shake dentures
loose (I assume he's talking about his own dentures). I've seen some about
the size of a lawnmower. You might get more estimates and ask them how big
of a grinder they use.

Harry Everhart

I am just an just an average schoolteacher that cuts my lawn with a
riding mower. I rented a stump grinder to remove about 20 stumps on my
property. I cut the trees myself with a small chain saw.
The stumpgrinder cost $50 a day - I brought it home attached to my
trailer hitch. I started it up - it was easy to control - I personally
ground all those stumps. Yes - some chips of wood were found 50 feet
away - and I did wear safety glasses - but no damage was done to my
teeth or pipes :-)
Harry
if you are reasonably handy - rent one - do it yourself.
the Truth Squad

Why not try it the way my Uncle Richard did on the family apple orchard
with I was just a little tyke...dig a hole, toss in a stick or two of
Dynamite and watch it fly...Of course that was back in the early 50's

Eric Tonks

The town removed a large Manitoba Maple from the street edge and called in a
stump grinder to finish the job. He used a huge one, with a 6 cylinder
engine. It did not do much in the way of vibration.

If you want real vibration, they just rebuilt the street last year, and
compacted the base in layers and for many days ran a large vibrating
compacter over the granular material, this beast shook the whole house, made
the walls vibrate and light fixtures and dishes in the kitchen rattle. I was
surprised the nails didn't fall out of the framing.

[...]

Gideon

Orangetrader,

A few bits of advice:

1) In your contract, be certain to spell out how deep you want the main
stump ground, how far out you want roots chased, and how deep you
want the roots to be ground. This avoids disputes after the work is done.
I forced one "tree expert" to grind a stump and roots 3 times until it was
done correctly. That's one advantage of COD - he doesn't get paid until
it's done correctly. (The first time, he went down 2" - just enough to hide
the stump after he kicked dirt on top of it)

2) How fussy are you about your lawn? Roots which aren't removed will
produce big crops of mushrooms for many years to come. The roots
decompose and produce perfect food for mushrooms.

3) As another poster has commented, stones will fly and can break windows,
dent siding, damage cars, etc. I'm always amazed that the guys who do
this for a living seem to be unaware of this. The grinder should be aimed
to toss stones in a safe direction and/or a barrier should be used.

4) The contractor should be responsible for all collateral damage. Ask
to see his insurance and don't hire him unless he has a current policy.
Phone the insurer to verify that coverage is up-to-date.

5) Get the utility companies to come out and mark all of your underground
drops. This should be free. Now there is no excuse for damage to utilities.

6) Get more estimates. The person you are dealing with sounds as if he
could be playing CYA.

Good luck,
Gideon

AutoTracer

I agree with everyone else. Vibration was not a problem when I had it done.
Only thing that broke was the stump grinder when he hit a metal spike the
previous owner had driven in (unknown to me). It threw a grinder tooth 10
feet and planted itself deeply into a fence (fortunately not a leg). Have
him run a metal detector over the stump for safety if you are unsure and
don't stick around to watch. Didn't cost me extra but wasted 1.5 man hours
of labor I was paying for (they were doing other landscape tasks too)

[...]

TURTLE

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I wanted to remove a tree in my front yard and the company I contacted gave
me a quote. He also said he can grind deep into the ground if I plan to
plant another tree. This sounds like a good idea so I said let's do it. He
then told me if he were to do this it could cause problems I need to be
aware of. I am glad he brought it up and now I am not so sure...he said the
grinder is a mean machine and when it grinds it is loud and it shakes like
hell. He said it has been know to shake in such a way it knock loose
dentures, or cause copper water pipes to crack inside walls or PVC drains to
snap open under slabs or sometimes windows to misalign such that it gets
"sticky". It sounds like it might not be worth it...or am I worrying too
much?

This is Turtle

I think he just give you a verible disclaimer as to something going wrong.

I have seen a bunch of Stumps ground down deep but none have I seen shake enough
to break pipes or break anything a lose. If it is pine trees you feel very
little. If it is Oak trees you may feel a little vibration but nothing to speak
of or fear damage to pipes or house. Now if the pipe is very close to the stump
, he could hit the pipe with his machine and break them for they cut as much as
3 feet from the stump's edge when cutting it deep.

I think your worring too much.

TURTLE

Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:55:01 -0500, "orangetrader"
wrote:

I wanted to remove a tree in my front yard and the company I contacted gave
me a quote. He also said he can grind deep into the ground if I plan to
plant another tree. This sounds like a good idea so I said let's do it. He
then told me if he were to do this it could cause problems I need to be
aware of. I am glad he brought it up and now I am not so sure...he said the
grinder is a mean machine and when it grinds it is loud and it shakes like
hell. He said it has been know to shake in such a way it knock loose
dentures, or cause copper water pipes to crack inside walls or PVC drains to
snap open under slabs or sometimes windows to misalign such that it gets
"sticky". It sounds like it might not be worth it...or am I worrying too
much?

I suppose anything is possible but when I had my stump ground with one
of those machines I don't recall it shaking things up all that
violently that I was worried about anything breaking and it was only
about 20 feet from my house and my large glass front window.
TURTLE

"the Truth Squad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not try it the way my Uncle Richard did on the family apple orchard
with I was just a little tyke...dig a hole, toss in a stick or two of
Dynamite and watch it fly...Of course that was back in the early 50's

This is Turtle.

Stick sizing chart for Dynamite charges to use.

Pine

6 to 12 inch stump 1/4 of a stick.
12 to 24 inch stump 1/2 stick.
24 to 36 inch stump 3/4 stick.
Larger full stick and get out of the way.

Oak

6 to 12 inch stump 1/2 stick.
12 to 24 inch stump 3/4 a stick.
24 to 36 inch stump full stick.
38 to 50 inch stump 1.5 sticks to 2 sticks.
Larger Max. Charge 2 sticks but may need 2 charges one after the other depending
on the size.

Uncle was a pine knot blaster years ago for a stump plant.

TURTLE

Explosives: Tree stump removal Crafty Home Repair 73 May 5th 06 05:40 PM
Tree stump stuck. Leroy Mowry Home Repair 44 January 12th 05 05:45 PM
Tree Stump m Ransley Home Repair 23 August 26th 04 02:46 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM
Tree stump removal with rock salt? Arthur Davis Home Repair 19 February 24th 04 05:41 PM