PoP

Default Washing machine offered.. good deal?

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:06:41 +0100, Socket wrote:

My washing machine is busted. I've been offered a Miele W865 from a
friend for delivery cost (£80) which has a minor fault but has still
2-3 years warrantee remaining (thus should be fixed for free). Is this
a good brand/machine/price?

Make sure to read the fine print. Very often it states words to the
effect that warranty isn't transferrable (I think, anyway).

PoP

JimM

We recently bought a Miele on the recommendation of this group. Have to say
I'm bloody impressed with it, all you can hear at full spin is a low hum
nothing like the jet engine effects of the Hotpoint it replaced. The build
quality is exceptional and it looks like it will last longer than I will !
Although at £815 it brought a tear to the eye when it came to paying for it.

Don't know anything about the W865 and Miele don't list it on their website
so i guess that it is an old model. However if you sure the problem is minor
and presumably cheap to fix it may well be worth the gamble. (Why can't your
friend get it repaired under warranty and then pass it on to you?)

--
Remove BRAIN before replying
"PoP" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:06:41 +0100, Socket wrote:

My washing machine is busted. I've been offered a Miele W865 from a
friend for delivery cost (£80) which has a minor fault but has still
2-3 years warrantee remaining (thus should be fixed for free). Is this
a good brand/machine/price?

Make sure to read the fine print. Very often it states words to the
effect that warranty isn't transferrable (I think, anyway).

PoP

Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:22:48 +0100, Socket wrote:

"JimM" wrote:

We recently bought a Miele on the recommendation of this group. Have to say
I'm bloody impressed with it, all you can hear at full spin is a low hum
nothing like the jet engine effects of the Hotpoint it replaced. The build
quality is exceptional and it looks like it will last longer than I will !
Although at £815 it brought a tear to the eye when it came to paying for it.

It does sound like you got a lot for your money tho'

Absolutely. I have one of their washers (about 13 years old) which
is still basically as good as new with daily use. There's no sign of
deterioration of the metalwork at all - they use a heavy enamelling -
or deterioration of the seals and hoses. I also have one of their
dryers and a dishwasher, both with very good service lives.

Don't know anything about the W865 and Miele don't list it on their website
so i guess that it is an old model. However if you sure the problem is minor
and presumably cheap to fix it may well be worth the gamble. (Why can't your
friend get it repaired under warranty and then pass it on to you?)

It's about 2-3 years old. It went into storage when he moved out of a
flat and was hospitalized, now he lives somewhere with a washer
already installed. I guess Miele won't fix it unless it's operational
in-situ? Don't know - but he reckons it's just the filter needs
cleaning or something.

That's possible. Obviously it would prevent it from pumping out
properly, which in turn can prevent the various stages of the cycle
from completing properly.

Miele have a very good service organisation, which on the couple of
times I've had to use them have done an excellent job. They even
have a number that you can call the day before which will tell you a 2
hour time window when the enginer will call. If something happens
that they are held up for any reason, they take the trouble to call.
Servicing on the washing machines can be done entirely from the front,
as I understand it - there is a front panel which swings out and they
can work on it from there.

I think it would be pointless to invite them along until you have the
machine in place and connected up.

One thing to note is that these are *very* heavy machines. One
person can just about walk one a short distance to locate it. You
need to plan for two or better three people to move it, and possibly a
seriously strong appliance truck. You might want to call their help
line for advice on how to go about moving the machine.
At £80, this is a seriously good buy. Even if you had to spend £200
on fixing it, it remains a very good opportunity.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"Socket" wrote in message
"Owain" wrote:

| My washing machine is busted. I've been offered a Miele W865 from a
| friend for delivery cost (£80) which has a minor fault but has still
| 2-3 years warrantee remaining (thus should be fixed for free). Is this
| a good brand/machine/price?

The warranty is probably not transferable from the original owner, but 80
quid for a Miele ...

I guess that's a vote of confidence then! ;-)

Shall enquire about the warrantee.

How will they know you're not him? Tell 'em you moved!

Si