Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default make gaps in sleeper walls ?

Would it be ok to remove bricks from my sleeper walls so I can get
from one side of my house to the other ? This would make cable laying
and pipe insulation much easier than pulling up floor boards in
different parts of the room.

I don't want to risk affecting structural integrity just a big enough
gap to crawl into the next "run" fro want of a better description

Freefall

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Freefall wrote:

Would it be ok to remove bricks from my sleeper walls so I can get
from one side of my house to the other ? This would make cable laying
and pipe insulation much easier than pulling up floor boards in
different parts of the room.

I don't want to risk affecting structural integrity just a big enough
gap to crawl into the next "run" fro want of a better description

Freefall

Should be possible. In order to get a big enough gap to crawl through,
though, you're likely to leave at least one floor joist unsupported if you
just remove the wall - so you may have to use a lintel, which would reduce
the headroom by 150mm or so. How high are the walls?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 06:00:10 -0700, Freefall wrote:

Would it be ok to remove bricks from my sleeper walls so I can get from
one side of my house to the other ? This would make cable laying and pipe
insulation much easier than pulling up floor boards in different parts of
the room.

I don't want to risk affecting structural integrity just a big enough gap
to crawl into the next "run" fro want of a better description

Freefall

===============================
There should be gaps (missing bricks) there already to provide a
ventilation cross-flow. With care you can use these existing gaps to feed
both pipework and cables. The joists which are supported by the sleeper
walls are at 14" centres approximately so unless you're very thin you
probably won't be able to open up any gaps without damaging the support
for the joists. I had to rebuild parts of my sleeper walls a few years ago
when I fitted new floors. They had been damaged over the years by various
plumbers and electricians who left the floors very creaky in places.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

In one house I lived in that had the sleeper walls you describe I smashed
some of the wall down to allow access and rebuilt two new small joist
supports both sides of the hole so there was still access. Basically just a
couple of brick pillars for the now unsupported joist.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Apr, 17:22, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Cicero" wrote in message

news
[...]

Another option is to remove enough wall to get through then support
the now unsupported joist by using noggins to both its neighbours.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another option is to remove enough wall to get through then support
the now unsupported joist by using noggins to both its neighbours.

NT

Railway sleeper mantelshelf VisionSet UK diy 10 September 30th 06 02:27 PM
Sleeper Rebuild Lathe Gunner Metalworking 1 May 2nd 06 11:51 PM
Sleeper wall stuff redtigerseye UK diy 4 January 18th 06 12:58 PM
Is there such a thing as a comfortable sleeper sofa? ng_reader Home Repair 10 November 22nd 05 02:18 AM
sleeper hardware SwampBug Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 01:21 AM