Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flooded kitchen - replace the floor?

On 21/04/2007 17:29, camjay wrote

The floor appears to be hardboard glued to 18mm
chipboard.

chipboard doesn't survive soaking and drying out very well
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A pipe managed to dribble water out from under my kitchen sink for a
period of several days before I noticed it. Water has leaked under the
vinyl sheet floor and and made wet the floor underneath, so much so
that water has started to soak up the skirting boards on all four
sides of the room. The floor appears to be hardboard glued to 18mm
chipboard. Although the it still appears solid because of all the
hardboard and glue on top, I would like to replace the lot. My
insurance company are due to visit on monday, and I am worried that
they will tell me the floor will be fine once it has been allowed to
dry out. Would you accept this or do you think it is reasonable to
insist the floor is replaced?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

camjay wrote:
A pipe managed to dribble water out from under my kitchen sink for a
period of several days before I noticed it. Water has leaked under the
vinyl sheet floor and and made wet the floor underneath, so much so
that water has started to soak up the skirting boards on all four
sides of the room. The floor appears to be hardboard glued to 18mm
chipboard. Although the it still appears solid because of all the
hardboard and glue on top, I would like to replace the lot. My
insurance company are due to visit on monday, and I am worried that
they will tell me the floor will be fine once it has been allowed to
dry out. Would you accept this or do you think it is reasonable to
insist the floor is replaced?

Insisting is water off a duck's back to insurance companies. Better to
play the damsel in distress and hope.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

camjay wrote:
A pipe managed to dribble water out from under my kitchen sink for a
period of several days before I noticed it. Water has leaked under the
vinyl sheet floor and and made wet the floor underneath, so much so
that water has started to soak up the skirting boards on all four
sides of the room. The floor appears to be hardboard glued to 18mm
chipboard. Although the it still appears solid because of all the
hardboard and glue on top, I would like to replace the lot. My
insurance company are due to visit on monday, and I am worried that
they will tell me the floor will be fine once it has been allowed to
dry out. Would you accept this or do you think it is reasonable to
insist the floor is replaced?

Has the chipboard swollen up like weetabix - if so it's not reversible
and the floor is likely to be uneven and weakened, and there would
probably be justification for replacing it. Otherwise not, I'd say.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

camjay wrote:
A pipe managed to dribble water out from under my kitchen sink for a
period of several days before I noticed it. Water has leaked under the
vinyl sheet floor and and made wet the floor underneath, so much so
that water has started to soak up the skirting boards on all four
sides of the room. The floor appears to be hardboard glued to 18mm
chipboard. Although the it still appears solid because of all the
hardboard and glue on top, I would like to replace the lot. My
insurance company are due to visit on monday, and I am worried that
they will tell me the floor will be fine once it has been allowed to
dry out. Would you accept this or do you think it is reasonable to
insist the floor is replaced?

It will be fine as long as it dries out within a few weeks.

mild soaking over a period of years is the real killer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:56:00 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

|!camjay wrote:
|! A pipe managed to dribble water out from under my kitchen sink for a
|! period of several days before I noticed it. Water has leaked under the
|! vinyl sheet floor and and made wet the floor underneath, so much so
|! that water has started to soak up the skirting boards on all four
|! sides of the room. The floor appears to be hardboard glued to 18mm
|! chipboard. Although the it still appears solid because of all the
|! hardboard and glue on top, I would like to replace the lot. My
|! insurance company are due to visit on monday, and I am worried that
|! they will tell me the floor will be fine once it has been allowed to
|! dry out. Would you accept this or do you think it is reasonable to
|! insist the floor is replaced?
|!
|!
|!Has the chipboard swollen up like weetabix - if so it's not reversible
|!and the floor is likely to be uneven and weakened, and there would
|!probably be justification for replacing it. Otherwise not, I'd say.

Just replaced some of my chipboard kitchen floor which was just like that.
I could not tell until the hardboard was removed, then it was clear that it
had to go. Now getting rid of all chipboard in my kitchen which may get
wet, under washing machine, sinks etc.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
|!Has the chipboard swollen up like weetabix - if so it's not reversible
|!and theflooris likely to be uneven and weakened, and there would
|!probably be justification for replacing it. Otherwise not, I'd say.

Just replaced some of my chipboardkitchenfloorwhich was just like that.
I could not tell until the hardboard was removed, then it was clear that it
had to go. Now getting rid of all chipboard in mykitchenwhich may get
wet, under washing machine, sinks etc.

..
Well, the loss adjuster came today. He touched the damp hardboard,
said hmmm very wet, and booked some contractors in to give me a quote
for replacing the lot. Now I just have to get them to use plywood
instead.