Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default flooded kitchen - replace the floor?

camjay wrote:
A pipe managed to dribble water out from under my kitchen sink for a
period of several days before I noticed it. Water has leaked under the
vinyl sheet floor and and made wet the floor underneath, so much so
that water has started to soak up the skirting boards on all four
sides of the room. The floor appears to be hardboard glued to 18mm
chipboard. Although the it still appears solid because of all the
hardboard and glue on top, I would like to replace the lot. My
insurance company are due to visit on monday, and I am worried that
they will tell me the floor will be fine once it has been allowed to
dry out. Would you accept this or do you think it is reasonable to
insist the floor is replaced?

Insisting is water off a duck's back to insurance companies. Better to
play the damsel in distress and hope.