Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default extending cable length of low voltage lighting

I have been looking into low voltage under-cabinet lighting. However,
the length of cable supplied tends to be short (2m typically), whereas
I need approx 4 metres. The kits that I have been looking at have AMP
connectors on the cables:

1/ http://www.lighting.eu.com/prolldisp...Code=AU-UPL503

2/ Item 22930 from Screwfix

Is there anywhere I can buy ready-made cables (of appropriate cross-
sectional area) with AMP connectors in longer lengths?

Thanks

Julian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

1/http://www.lighting.eu.com/prolldisplay.aspx?Group_Code=AU-UPL503

2/ Item 22930 from Screwfix

Is there anywhere I can buy ready-made cables (of appropriate cross-
sectional area) with AMP connectors in longer lengths?

Thanks

Julian

halogens arent the best option for this, they create v and heat, which
stored foods above dont like.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

where v = glare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
" writes:
I have been looking into low voltage under-cabinet lighting. However,
the length of cable supplied tends to be short (2m typically), whereas
I need approx 4 metres. The kits that I have been looking at have AMP
connectors on the cables:

1/ http://www.lighting.eu.com/prolldisp...Code=AU-UPL503

2/ Item 22930 from Screwfix

Is there anywhere I can buy ready-made cables (of appropriate cross-
sectional area) with AMP connectors in longer lengths?

I've seen a few cases of those connectors burned out.
When I've used LV halogen kits, I've normally cut those
connectors off and made permanent connections (unless
the lamp power is very low). You can use mains cable,
but bear in mind the current is 20 times higher than
it would be for a mains light, and it's more important
that you limit the voltage drop or the lamps will be
slightly dimmed.

If this is for under cupboard lighting in a kitchen,
you'll find 20W rather bright/hot. I would suggest 10W
max, or better still, use thin fluorescent fittings.

If you are intent on using halogens, Ikea do a unit
with 2 or 3 10W lamps which takes a mains feed
directly...
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ductId =83842

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:

If you are intent on using halogens, Ikea do a unit
with 2 or 3 10W lamps which takes a mains feed
directly...
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ductId =83842

Out of curiosity, I tried playing with that URL. If you change the
storeId=7 to different values, you get the price in other countries.
storeid=4 is the price in France, which is the same in Euros as the
UK price in pounds. Same with storeid=9 for Holland. Italy and Spain
have to pay more, but UK is the highest price, at least in Europe.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
If this is for under cupboard lighting in a kitchen, you'll find 20W
rather bright/hot. I would suggest 10W max, or better still, use thin
fluorescent fittings.

Hey Andrew, can you email me with an address that doesn't go nowhere?

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-24 20:44:24 +0000, (Andrew
Gabriel) said:

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:

If you are intent on using halogens, Ikea do a unit
with 2 or 3 10W lamps which takes a mains feed
directly...
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ductId =83842

Out

of curiosity, I tried playing with that URL. If you change the
storeId=7 to different values, you get the price in other countries.
storeid=4 is the price in France, which is the same in Euros as the
UK price in pounds. Same with storeid=9 for Holland. Italy and Spain
have to pay more, but UK is the highest price, at least in Europe.

Interesting. It's ‚¬29.95 in France, but even so....

VAT is higher in France (19.6 IIRC) so on the net price of the item
even bigger difference.