Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Default 3/4" pipe lagging

I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of split
sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over the
pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers on me,
but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the pond seems
to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:
I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of split
sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over the
pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers on me,
but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the pond seems
to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

just use the 22mm lagging and apply tape every 18 inches to keep it in place

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 15 Mar, 21:36, "Phil L" wrote:
Ben wrote:
I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of split
sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over the
pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers on me,
but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the pond seems
to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

just use the 22mm lagging and apply tape every 18 inches to keep it in place

I guess though that if the lagging is loose then looses will be
increased due to air movements within the insulation...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:
On 15 Mar, 21:36, "Phil L" wrote:
Ben wrote:
I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of
split sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over
the pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers
on me, but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the
pond seems to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

just use the 22mm lagging and apply tape every 18 inches to keep it
in place

I guess though that if the lagging is loose then looses will be
increased due to air movements within the insulation...

No, because the pipe will heat the little bit of air within the insulation
and that cannot escape, provided you tape each joint too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 15 Mar, 22:06, "Phil L" wrote:
Ben wrote:
On 15 Mar, 21:36, "Phil L" wrote:
Ben wrote:
I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of
split sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over
the pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers
on me, but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the
pond seems to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

just use the 22mm lagging and apply tape every 18 inches to keep it
in place

I guess though that if the lagging is loose then looses will be
increased due to air movements within the insulation...

No, because the pipe will heat the little bit of air within the insulation
and that cannot escape, provided you tape each joint too.

Ah yes - therein lies the problem. The pipes are very inaccessible, so
the only way to fit the lagging is to push it on from one end, which
leaves no way of sealing the split. I may use 15mm lagging which is
better than nothing, although it only covers about 75% of the
surface...

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:

I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of split
sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over the
pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers on me,
but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the pond seems
to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

I'm puzzled to know what type of pipe you've got! The old 1/2" copper pipe
was virtually the same size outside as currently used 15mm pipe. [Imperial
copper is sized by the nominal bore, and metric by the external diameter].
Likewise, 3/4" copper was virtually the same size as 22mm.

Even 1/2" (bore) iron pipe had an external diameter very similar to 22mm. So
I'm surprised that the lagging doesn't fit.

So what *have* you got - lead maybe?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:11:18 -0700, Ben wrote:

On 15 Mar, 22:06, "Phil L" wrote:
Ben wrote:
On 15 Mar, 21:36, "Phil L" wrote:
Ben wrote:
[...]

===============================
Use a very sharp utility knife (plus straight edge if necessary) to cut a
thin slice off one edge of the slit / opening. Experiment with the cut to
find out the correct amount to remove to produce a snug fit. Tape as much
as you can reach at the suggested distances.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of

split
sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over the
pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers on

me,
but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the pond

seems
to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

3/4" pipe is still in use in the air conditioning HVAC arena - you may
get some there, but in practical terms 22mm and the odd tywrap to hold
it in place is probably a better real world solution.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 15 Mar, 22:11, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Ben wrote:
[...]

Certainly not lead. Some are 22m, because that fits perfectly. Th rest
are smaler, and the 22mmlagging is very loose, but the 15mm
aggingis too small. I'll check the rest and let you know...

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Ben wrote:
[...]

Ok - that's odd. It seems that as I had initially thought my pipes
were 22mm and 28mm. However, he 28mm lagging is loose on the 22mm
pipes, and the 22mm lagging is loose on the 22mm pipes. But the 22mm
fits the 28 perfectly :-)

Oh well....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:

Ok - that's odd. It seems that as I had initially thought my pipes
were 22mm and 28mm. However, he 28mm lagging is loose on the 22mm
pipes, and the 22mm lagging is loose on the 22mm pipes. But the 22mm
fits the 28 perfectly :-)

Oh well....

Have you been sniffing stuff you shouldn't have?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Mar 2007 15:44:49 -0700, "Ben"
mused:

Ok - that's odd. It seems that as I had initially thought my pipes
were 22mm and 28mm. However, he 28mm lagging is loose on the 22mm
pipes, and the 22mm lagging is loose on the 22mm pipes. But the 22mm
fits the 28 perfectly :-)

You haven't been buying the cheap crap from some DIY hovel have you?
I've found some of these to be very 'random'.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:36:41 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

|!Ben wrote:
|! I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of split
|! sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over the
|! pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers on me,
|! but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the pond seems
|! to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?
|!
|! Cheers,
|!
|! Ben
|!
|!just use the 22mm lagging and apply tape every 18 inches to keep it in place.

Cable ties do the same job and last longer.

--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

!Ben wrote:
! I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of
split ! sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close
over the ! pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of
calipers on me, ! but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this
side of the pond seems ! to stock imperial sizes any more. Any
suggestions? !
! Cheers,
!
! Ben
!
!just use the 22mm lagging and apply tape every 18 inches to keep it
in place.

Cable ties do the same job and last longer.

They do, but the thinner ones can cut into the lagging if tightened up too
much

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote

Ben wrote:
I have some hot water pipes that I want to lag. I tried a bit of split
sided lagging and 15mm was too tight - it wouldn't close over the
pipe, while 22m was very loose. I haven't got a set of calipers on me,
but I suspect it may be 3/4" pipe. Nobody this side of the pond seems
to stock imperial sizes any more. Any suggestions?

(snip)

Ok - that's odd. It seems that as I had initially thought my pipes
were 22mm and 28mm. However, he 28mm lagging is loose on the 22mm
pipes, and the 22mm lagging is loose on the 22mm pipes. But the 22mm
fits the 28 perfectly :-)

I had something similar with tap washers not so long ago and came to the
same conclusion - ie : Sod it.
--
Roger Hunt