Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Default Accoustic lagging of a cold water pipe

Hi, I have a cold water pipe, 15mm copper, going through my bedroom.
When there is much water use elsewhere in the building I can hear
rushing water through this pipe. It is not that bad, but is a bit
annoying. The pipe itself runs through an airing cupboard with three
brick walls on each of its sides and a flimsy door.

I was wondering if there was much I could reasonably do to cut down on
the noise? Wrapping it is nome kind of absorbant lagging, or
insulating the door of the cupboard itself?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:
Hi, I have a cold water pipe, 15mm copper, going through my bedroom.
When there is much water use elsewhere in the building I can hear
rushing water through this pipe. It is not that bad, but is a bit
annoying. The pipe itself runs through an airing cupboard with three
brick walls on each of its sides and a flimsy door.

I was wondering if there was much I could reasonably do to cut down on
the noise? Wrapping it is nome kind of absorbant lagging, or
insulating the door of the cupboard itself?

That sort of sound is probably being transmitted by air, especially if
the cupboard is brick walled.

One way would be to build a brick enclosure for the pipe..but a heavy
hermetically sealed door is probably just as good.

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb 2007 00:31:24 -0800, "Ben" wrote:

Hi, I have a cold water pipe, 15mm copper, going through my bedroom.
When there is much water use elsewhere in the building I can hear
rushing water through this pipe. It is not that bad, but is a bit
annoying. The pipe itself runs through an airing cupboard with three
brick walls on each of its sides and a flimsy door.

I was wondering if there was much I could reasonably do to cut down on
the noise? Wrapping it is nome kind of absorbant lagging, or
insulating the door of the cupboard itself?

Cheers,

Ben

Could you box it in with plasterboard? You could build a frame from
bits of wood and screw the boards to that or if its a small enigh run
just glue it all together with gripfill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

could just try thick foam lagging initially - might be enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

I might try that - wrap it in foam lagging, then box the thing in with
plasterboard. The door is a cavity design - two hardboard panels on a
wooden frame. If I assume the brick walls are quite solid, then this
is probably the weak point. I could presumably stuff it full of
mineral wool or something also.

Cheers,

Ben

On 7 Feb, 10:52, "baxter basics" wrote:
could just try thick foam lagging initially - might be enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:
I might try that - wrap it in foam lagging, then box the thing in with
plasterboard. The door is a cavity design - two hardboard panels on a
wooden frame. If I assume the brick walls are quite solid, then this
is probably the weak point. I could presumably stuff it full of
mineral wool or something also.

won;t make a lot of difference while it isn't hermetically sealed.

If you have double glazed windows..open them JUST a mm or two and listen
to the difference in what you can hear from outside.
Then consider..

Cheers,

Ben

On 7 Feb, 10:52, "baxter basics" wrote:
could just try thick foam lagging initially - might be enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

I have seen rockwool pipe lagging in buildings before, which would (I
suspect) be ideal for acoustic insulation if I can find it is
diamaeters small enough for a 15mm pipe - it normally has a silver
outer jacket, but I can't find it in the shops. Does anybody know the
trade name of this stuff and where I might look for it?

Cheers,

Ben

On 7 Feb, 12:38, "Ben" wrote:
I might try that - wrap it in foam lagging, then box the thing in with
plasterboard. The door is a cavity design - two hardboard panels on a
wooden frame. If I assume the brick walls are quite solid, then this
is probably the weak point. I could presumably stuff it full of
mineral wool or something also.

Cheers,

Ben

On 7 Feb, 10:52, "baxter basics" wrote:

could just try thick foam lagging initially - might be enough.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Unfortunately I suspect I can't hermetically seal the door to my
airing cupboard :-)

The best I can do is wrap up the pipe, put draft excluder felt strips
around the edge of the door, and insulate the door itself I think...

Ben

On 7 Feb, 15:51, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ben wrote:
I might try that - wrap it in foam lagging, then box the thing in with
plasterboard. The door is a cavity design - two hardboard panels on a
wooden frame. If I assume the brick walls are quite solid, then this
is probably the weak point. I could presumably stuff it full of
mineral wool or something also.

won;t make a lot of difference while it isn't hermetically sealed.

If you have double glazed windows..open them JUST a mm or two and listen
to the difference in what you can hear from outside.
Then consider..

Cheers,

Ben

On 7 Feb, 10:52, "baxter basics" wrote:
could just try thick foam lagging initially - might be enough.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb 2007 07:52:23 -0800, "Ben" wrote:

I have seen rockwool pipe lagging in buildings before, which would (I
suspect) be ideal for acoustic insulation if I can find it is
diamaeters small enough for a 15mm pipe - it normally has a silver
outer jacket, but I can't find it in the shops. Does anybody know the
trade name of this stuff and where I might look for it?

Cheers,

Try:

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproof_pl.htm

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 16:01, "Ben" wrote:
Unfortunately I suspect I can't hermetically seal the door to my
airing cupboard :-)

The best I can do is wrap up the pipe, put draft excluder felt strips
around the edge of the door, and insulate the door itself I think...

Ben

any of:

wrap the pipes with (pref) felt lagging
Mount the pipe clips on rubber
box the pipes in
put a rubber mat on the door
draughtproof the door
fit a heavier door
lag the noisy pipes on the floors above or below where the pipe is a
problem, this will also add damping
In some cases you can happily turn down the water flow rate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 16:01, "Ben" wrote:

Unfortunately I suspect I can't hermetically seal the door to my
airing cupboard :-)

Baffles for the airpath is the next best bet. Making the noise zigzag
back and forth a couple of times makes a remarkable difference.
You cant really do that much with a door, but you can make it go round
a corner at least twice, which helps.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

I think I'm going to try the pipes first, then the door, and finally
the ceiling, in order of difficuly to acheive. Its hard to tell where
the noise path is - some of it may be straight through the ceiling,
but the pipes are certainly the worst culprit.
I may be able to put an airtight seal around the door -I've seen a few
products online that are very simple
and easy to fit. The door itself is very flimsy - a 2x2 frame with
hardboard front and back. It would probably be a good idea to fill it
with mineral wool or replace the door, I'm thinking. I could also
stiuck some foam to the inside walls to stop the cupboard acting as a
sounding box. As for the pipe itself I'm still not sure what to wrap
it in - I guess mineral wool in the shape of pipe lagging would be the
best, but I can't find it :-)

Ben

On Feb 8, 12:28 am, wrote:
On 7 Feb, 16:01, "Ben" wrote:

Unfortunately I suspect I can't hermetically seal the door to my
airing cupboard :-)

Baffles for the airpath is the next best bet. Making the noise zigzag
back and forth a couple of times makes a remarkable difference.
You cant really do that much with a door, but you can make it go round
a corner at least twice, which helps.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Oops -that last post was a bit out of date, I've just seen some of the
replys that appeared before it. Thanks for the advice :-)

Ben

On Feb 8, 12:28 am, wrote:
On 7 Feb, 16:01, "Ben" wrote:

Unfortunately I suspect I can't hermetically seal the door to my
airing cupboard :-)

Baffles for the airpath is the next best bet. Making the noise zigzag
back and forth a couple of times makes a remarkable difference.
You cant really do that much with a door, but you can make it go round
a corner at least twice, which helps.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:
Unfortunately I suspect I can't hermetically seal the door to my
airing cupboard :-)

no, but even foam druaght excluder might help quite a bit. Rubber
underlay is quite good for absorbing noise if you do want to line the
walls/door, it cut doen the noise from our CH pump when I lined the
false bottom of the airing cupboard at put a pad of it between the pump
and the wall.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

I'll try that. I notice that the pipe in question runs down through my
airing cupboard, then through the wall into the bathroom, along the
floor (behind the bath) and then down to the next floor. I need to
somehow damp the pipe along its length as well I suspect - I've found
some companies selling "damping tape", I may try it, but I don't know
how effective it is as surely it can't have a mass anywhere near that
of the pipe...?