Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is required/best for loft felt

My roof has no felt under the tiles - maybe it never did.

I assume it should have something. What is the best stuff to use, what
does it actually do (tiles are supposed to keep water out right?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
My roof has no felt under the tiles - maybe it never did.

I assume it should have something. What is the best stuff to use, what
does it actually do (tiles are supposed to keep water out right?)

Your roof may vary.

In Scotland, for example, it's almost unheard of for this to be the
case, there is a skin of 18mm or so boards covering the roof, covered
with felt, on which are battens that carry the tiles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"405 TD Estate" writes:
My roof has no felt under the tiles - maybe it never did.

I assume it should have something. What is the best stuff to use, what
does it actually do (tiles are supposed to keep water out right?)

It provides a second line of defence, e.g. if a tile slips/cracks,
or if the wind is such to drive water/snow under tiles. I wouldn't
bother refelting just for the sake of it though, only if the roof
is in need of replacement for some other reason.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
My roof has no felt under the tiles - maybe it never did.

I assume it should have something. What is the best stuff to use, what
does it actually do (tiles are supposed to keep water out right?)

What is does is to stop high winds lifting the tiles actually.

Its there to prevent massive pressure surges under the slates or tiles.

It should have no impact on waterproofing at all.

In high wind areas, board is better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
My roof has no felt under the tiles - maybe it never did.

I assume it should have something. What is the best stuff to use, what
does it actually do (tiles are supposed to keep water out right?)

When Econoloft did my loft conversion a few years ago they chopped out a few
areas of felt so they could slide in big things like the steel and various
wood bits. They never bothered to repair the felt (or do a good job of the
conversion but that's another long story that I don't want to be reminded
of!) and it has been fine ever since.

I read somewhere that it is especially important for stopping the tiles
lifting when there is a lot of wind on "the other side" of a house,
presumably entering through the soffit vents. In my (loft converted) case I
only have a small ventilation gap up each side between the Celotex boards
and the felt or tiles, so there isn't really anywhere for big winds to build
up and blow off all the tiles.

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where is the felt suposed to go? Between the battens (corect name for
the little horizontal bits?) and the tiles or on the inside of the
batens?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
oups.com...
Where is the felt suposed to go? Between the battens (corect name for
the little horizontal bits?) and the tiles or on the inside of the
batens?

Its laid horizontal on top of the rafter, starting at the eave, then the
laths or battens are fixed on top, then the slates or tiles.

to felt or not? jonfechner Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 02:13 AM
Is Fire Protection Required for Loft Steel? TheScullster UK diy 2 February 22nd 06 02:50 PM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM
Repair roofing felt from inside loft John Rumm UK diy 3 March 2nd 04 12:04 AM
shower pump in loft problem advice required Gary Holt UK diy 3 October 2nd 03 01:57 PM