Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Stroud Simon Stroud is offline

Default What is required/best for loft felt

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
My roof has no felt under the tiles - maybe it never did.

I assume it should have something. What is the best stuff to use, what
does it actually do (tiles are supposed to keep water out right?)

When Econoloft did my loft conversion a few years ago they chopped out a few
areas of felt so they could slide in big things like the steel and various
wood bits. They never bothered to repair the felt (or do a good job of the
conversion but that's another long story that I don't want to be reminded
of!) and it has been fine ever since.

I read somewhere that it is especially important for stopping the tiles
lifting when there is a lot of wind on "the other side" of a house,
presumably entering through the soffit vents. In my (loft converted) case I
only have a small ventilation gap up each side between the Celotex boards
and the felt or tiles, so there isn't really anywhere for big winds to build
up and blow off all the tiles.

Regards,
Simon.