Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Major Damp problem

Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Thanks Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djkeates" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Thanks Dave

Get the rendering cut off about 300mm above ground level and a DPC injection
system put in.This will probably have to be done inside as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"djkeates" writes:
Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.

Is this only at floor level, or how high up?

The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??

I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

I suspect your walls are not insulated, so when you put something
against the wall, that something effectively forms the insulation.
This means the wall behind gets cold and condensation forms.

However, more info required.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 8:05 pm, "djkeates" wrote:
Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Thanks Dave

If your internal walls are damp free then most likely the damp proof
course is ok. If you have render on the outside then this should be
above the damp proof course and you should be able to see the damp
proof course. If not chip away at the render and see if you can find
it.
Remove any render below the damp proof course. Allow things
to dry out perhaps this could take a couple of months at this time
of year and take another look for damp.

If only parts of walls are affected then I used a damp proof injection
chemical it comes with an applicator gun available at most hire shops.
You drill a hole between the bricks and inject in. The chemical is
then
spread out by the damp and makes a new seal. Works well and cured the
problem
on two problem corners in my house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 8:05 pm, "djkeates" wrote:
Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Is it condensation? Is there adequate ventilation, especially in the
kitchen?
Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djkeates" wrote

I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Also worth considering leaking pipes.
Do you have solid floor or suspended wood?
If you turn off all water users, do you still hear water flowing in pipes or
see water entering storage tanks?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert Laws wrote:
[...]

As it's rendered, one option would be to paint the outside with a
pliolite paint available from trade outlets like Johnstone's etc. If
water is getting through the render, that should stop it (where ordinary
masonry paint won't). Not cheap materials wise but worth a try before
more labour intensive solutions
Posted to uk.d-i-y

djkeates wrote:
Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Thanks Dave

Your own suggestion hit the nail on the head, you need look no further than
the external rendering - it needs to be sliced off at least 150mm above DPC
level - this is usually the level of your floors inside.
Take a tape measure, a marker pen and a spirit level and draw a line at
150mm above DPC, then get an angle grinder and cut a straight line into the
render - this is made easier if you affix a batten to the wall and whizz out
on top of it, so that the blade makes a straight cut - it should then be a
simple job of removing the render below the line.
There's also a possiblity that there is no DPC, this will be apparent after
the render has been removed, although simply removing the render will
probably relieve the problem regardless of whether there is a DPC or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Feb, 20:05, "djkeates" wrote:
Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Thanks Dave

Rising damp generally only affects the wall up to about 3 feet or a
mitre high.
A chemical injected DPC would be the cheapest and quickest option, if
it is in fact rising damp, but it sounds like a condensation issue if
you can feel moisture on the internal walls, in which case you might
consider hiring a dehumidifier, and increasing air supply to the
property, you can hire one from most local hire centres, and if it
makes an improvement, you can buy one for future use, if it is a
bridged or defective dpc problem, then you can hire an injection
machine and drill from most hire centres and get the dpc fluid from
Wickes or other building suppliers, you can also get a couple of free
estimates from local remedial damp proof companies for some free
expert advice

regards
chippyboy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Feb, 20:05, "djkeates" wrote:

Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Thanks Dave

The best thing would be to ask people that understand the subject
http://periodpropertyshop.co.uk/phpB...wforum.php?f=1

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Feb 2007 12:05:54 -0800, "djkeates"
wrote:

Hello all
I have a major damp problem in my bungalow, I have noticed things
leaning aginst the wall appear damp, some have green mould on.
The area next to my skirting board is damp to touch also wall paper is
peeling off just above the skirting. This is the same on everywall of
my property. We have gas central heating which is on at least 5 hours
a day, so the place is heated properly. the only thing thing I notice
is the external rendering goes right down to the ground (you can see
no damp course)
Could this be the problem??
I have only lived at this property a short while and have only just
noticed the problem.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Thanks Dave

What is the internal plaster like? Is it hard render? Does the mould
increase towards the corners? If the answer is 'yes' to the last 2
questions then you have a condensation problem. My brutal solution
would be to strip the render and reinstate in lightweight plaster of
some sort.

Maris