Dave Balderstone

Default Major, major, major Lee Valley gloat.

Robin Lee tells me they've ordered signs for the construction site, so
I don't feel I'm breaching any confidences to say...

SASKATOON IS FINALLY GETTING A LEE VALLEY STORE!!!!

And, it's only about 6 blocks from work. Joy!

Rob, can you send me bank account info? I'll just have the paycheck
deposited directly.

As a further mini-gloat, I was in Winnipeg and Edmonton this past week,
so got to visit two LV stores.

The Edmonton store is larger and very, very nice (much larger and nicer
than ther old one) but the Winnipeg store had a lot more I was
interested in on their clearance shelves.

;-)

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
C & S

From (just) south of the border.

"bite me" (because we know it aint come'n here)

or the more traditional

you suck.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
Robin Lee tells me they've ordered signs for the construction site, so
I don't feel I'm breaching any confidences to say...

SASKATOON IS FINALLY GETTING A LEE VALLEY STORE!!!!

And, it's only about 6 blocks from work. Joy!

Rob, can you send me bank account info? I'll just have the paycheck
deposited directly.

As a further mini-gloat, I was in Winnipeg and Edmonton this past week,
so got to visit two LV stores.

The Edmonton store is larger and very, very nice (much larger and nicer
than ther old one) but the Winnipeg store had a lot more I was
interested in on their clearance shelves.

;-)

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

Gerald Ross

Dave Balderstone wrote:
Robin Lee tells me they've ordered signs for the construction site, so
I don't feel I'm breaching any confidences to say...

SASKATOON IS FINALLY GETTING A LEE VALLEY STORE!!!!

And, it's only about 6 blocks from work. Joy!

Rob, can you send me bank account info? I'll just have the paycheck
deposited directly.

As a further mini-gloat, I was in Winnipeg and Edmonton this past week,
so got to visit two LV stores.

The Edmonton store is larger and very, very nice (much larger and nicer
than ther old one) but the Winnipeg store had a lot more I was
interested in on their clearance shelves.

;-)

You'd think, logically, that they would rather go south where it is
warmer. Cochran, for instance.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Nothing is what it seems, all things
are what they are.

no(SPAM)vasys

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Robin Lee tells me they've ordered signs for the construction site, so
I don't feel I'm breaching any confidences to say...

SASKATOON IS FINALLY GETTING A LEE VALLEY STORE!!!!

And, it's only about 6 blocks from work. Joy!

snip

Have you started training for lunch hour six block sprints yet? ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Dave Balderstone

In article , C & S
wrote:

From (just) south of the border.

You'll just have to come visit. We still enjoy seeing real money... ;-)

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

Dave Balderstone

In article , SPAM
wrote:

Have you started training for lunch hour six block sprints yet? ;-)

No need. The Publisher and I will be going together, he's just as
thrilled as I am. Oh, so is our chief accountant.

The only sad part of the whole thing is that one of our senior
salesmen, name of Jim Rieger, died suddenly just before Christmas.

He would have LOVED having LV store here. In fact, I think I just heard
a "you suck" from beyond the grave...

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
C & S

I have been considering that for a while; 'bout a 3 hour trip to Ottowa
though. I'd lke to take in a seminar to make the trip worthwhile but the
fill up so fast.

From (just) south of the border.

You'll just have to come visit. We still enjoy seeing real money... ;-)

My wife is canadian. "Dollar for dollar... blah blah blah...". The duty free
gets most of our wine budget, does that count? :-)

Cheers,

Steve .....1/2 mile from Quebec, but Rob won't open a store there either :-(

Michael Daly

On 11-Jun-2005, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Winnipeg store had a lot more I was
interested in on their clearance shelves.

Those clearance shelves are like opening Christmas
presents sometimes. Your own store? - you're in trouble now!

Just don't open the door.

Mike
Dave Balderstone

In article , Michael Daly
wrote:

Your own store? - you're in trouble now!

You know that tingly feeling you got in your teens and maybe 20s when
you were about to experience somethinat was going to feel REALLY good
RIGHT NOW, but had the potential to be a real problem later?

It's like that...

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Patriarch

Dave Balderstone wrote in
tone.ca:

Robin Lee tells me they've ordered signs for the construction site, so
I don't feel I'm breaching any confidences to say...

SASKATOON IS FINALLY GETTING A LEE VALLEY STORE!!!!

And, it's only about 6 blocks from work. Joy!

Rob, can you send me bank account info? I'll just have the paycheck
deposited directly.

As a further mini-gloat, I was in Winnipeg and Edmonton this past week,
so got to visit two LV stores.

The Edmonton store is larger and very, very nice (much larger and nicer
than ther old one) but the Winnipeg store had a lot more I was
interested in on their clearance shelves.

;-)

So, as I understand it, the obligatory response has to do with sucking?

How does this enable you to ever get anything done? At least in the US,
with catalog only, we can peruse the catalog in the private reading room.
Wandering through well stocked stores can take all afternoon. Or longer.

And I can put down the catalog, having looked at a picture of a new plane.
Usually. After examining it in hand, I'm not so certain.

Patriarch,
who someday is going to have to do some research on this Saskatoon
notion...

Jason Quick

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Robin Lee tells me they've ordered signs for the construction site, so
I don't feel I'm breaching any confidences to say...

SASKATOON IS FINALLY GETTING A LEE VALLEY STORE!!!!

Oh, shut up. You suck. And Saskatoon sux, too. : )

Jason

Robin Lee

snip

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

Too weird.... I'd looked up the Jasper Friendly Bear quote to use too!!!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Fargher

Patriarch wrote:

How does this enable you to ever get anything done? At least in the US,
with catalog only, we can peruse the catalog in the private reading room.
Wandering through well stocked stores can take all afternoon. Or longer.

And I can put down the catalog, having looked at a picture of a new plane.
Usually. After examining it in hand, I'm not so certain.

I live in Burnaby, British Columbia and have two Lee Valley retail stores
within reasonable driving distance. While their stores are bright &
attractive, with lots of nice oak trim, there's not all that much to pick
up and handle. Most stuff is either behind glass, in display cases,
bolted down, or screwed to the wall. And, not surprisingly considering the
number of items they stock, not all is out on display, either. There is a
nice book section, though, with shelf copies available for perusal and a
number of very comfortable arm chairs for said perusing.

Shopping at a retail LV store is a lot like shopping at a dept. store
catalogue store. You fill out an order form from catalogues (plastic
laminated pages in a steel binder fixed to a bench), take a number and wait
for a green-shirted, usually middle-aged, clerk to call for you. S/he
takes your order form and disappears into a cavernous warehouse, to return
with your goodies. At that point you have your opportunity to have hands-on
inspection. Once you're satisfied, the merchandise is bagged and the two
of you, on your respective sides of the counter, walk down to the cashier.
Your bag is placed in sequence and you cool your heels until the cashier
calls out your name. I have not seen any floor staff yet.

--
Cheers,
Rob
Upscale

"Rob Fargher" wrote in message
bolted down, or screwed to the wall. And, not surprisingly considering

the
number of items they stock, not all is out on display, either. There is a
nice book section, though, with shelf copies available for perusal and a
number of very comfortable arm chairs for said perusing.

Have you ever asked to look at something that is behind glass or in the back
room on a shelf? I have several times when I've visited Lee Valley Tool
stores in Toronto and I've always been accommodated. Admittedly, the only
time I visit one of their stores instead of using the mail order is when I'm
buying a large amount of stuff or spending $300 or more. So, they might be
granting my request only after seeing the list of stuff I'm buying, but I've
never had any argument when I want to physically examine something.

When I go in with my list, I order everything and someone starts bringing
the order out piece by piece. That gives me plenty of time to examine every
item as it appears and I can decide at that time if I still want it.

mac davis

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:44:30 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

Robin Lee tells me they've ordered signs for the construction site, so
I don't feel I'm breaching any confidences to say...

SASKATOON IS FINALLY GETTING A LEE VALLEY STORE!!!!

And, it's only about 6 blocks from work. Joy!

Rob, can you send me bank account info? I'll just have the paycheck
deposited directly.

As a further mini-gloat, I was in Winnipeg and Edmonton this past week,
so got to visit two LV stores.

The Edmonton store is larger and very, very nice (much larger and nicer
than ther old one) but the Winnipeg store had a lot more I was
interested in on their clearance shelves.

;-)

I could NOT handle that...
that would be like having a Harbor Freight next door...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Dave in Fairfax

mac davis wrote:
I could NOT handle that...
that would be like having a Harbor Freight next door...

Uh, no. I've got a HF within striking distance, I'd be happy to lose my
money at LV instead even if it was twice as far away. That's a hint
Robin. Really, Really.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Owen Lawrence

[...]

I've examined small stuff (couple bucks worth) and turned them down, and
there were no complaints, and had any number of questions answered without a
list at all. I think the service is there if you need it, whether or not it
looks like you're going to pay for it with a large order right then and
there.

- Owen -

Rob Fargher

Upscale wrote:

Have you ever asked to look at something that is behind glass or in the
back room on a shelf? I have several times when I've visited Lee Valley
Tool stores in Toronto and I've always been accommodated. Admittedly, the
only time I visit one of their stores instead of using the mail order is
when I'm buying a large amount of stuff or spending $300 or more. So, they
might be granting my request only after seeing the list of stuff I'm
buying, but I've never had any argument when I want to physically examine
something.

No, I haven't and I have no doubt they'd accomodate such requests. But
you do have to wait your turn for a clerk so I wait until I'm ready to make
my order before seeing the actual stuff I'm considering. That I've never
yet turned down anything I've written on the order form is both a tribute
to LV's quality and my lust for their stuff. :-)

--
Cheers,
Rob
Upscale

"Rob Fargher" wrote in message
No, I haven't and I have no doubt they'd accomodate such requests. But
you do have to wait your turn for a clerk so I wait until I'm ready to

make
my order before seeing the actual stuff I'm considering. That I've never
yet turned down anything I've written on the order form is both a tribute
to LV's quality and my lust for their stuff. :-)

Hi Rob,
I guess one has to consider the thievability of all of the stuff they sell.
Considering the small size of many of those tools coupled with the cost of
some of them, there's no doubt that a sizable amount of it would disappear
if not shelved away or windowed off. The rest of LV's customers would end up
paying the cost of that loss. Still, the LV store I go to has much of the
bigger stuff out on display although all of it's fastened down in some way.
I can usually play with it a little to heighten my wishlist addiction while
I figure out which old lady I'm going to rob next to get the money to pay
for it.

Kevin Craig

In article , C & S
wrote:

Steve .....1/2 mile from Quebec, but Rob won't open a store there either :-(

Where are you?

We're planning to move to Coos County, NH (the Berlin area). I think
that would be a perfect place for an LV store. :-)

Kevin
Robin Lee

"Upscale" wrote in message
[...]

Hi -

It's not as much the theiving, as the risk of injury. We have a lot of kids
let loose in the store - and not all parents are vigilant.We'd rather lose a
sale than have a hurt child...or a hurt big kid - and a lawsuit...

Not mention how many people test edge tools on other tools, or displays.

It's a regrettable necessity......

Cheers -

Rob

Patriarch

mac davis wrote in
:s nip

that would be like having a Harbor Freight next door...

There goes the neighborhood!

Patriarch
Dave Balderstone

In article , Robin Lee
wrote:

Too weird.... I'd looked up the Jasper Friendly Bear quote to use too!!!

Have you got your Authentic Indian Name yet?

http://www.aspalta.cbc.ca/deaddog_asp/aininfo.asp

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Upscale

"Robin Lee" wrote in message

It's not as much the theiving, as the risk of injury. We have a lot of

kids
let loose in the store - and not all parents are vigilant.We'd rather lose

sale than have a hurt child...or a hurt big kid - and a lawsuit...

I figure the scenario goes like this:

Johnny: "Daddy, I really want that new action toy".
Dad: "No Johnny, not right now".
Johnny: "But Daddy, I've been a really good boy and all my friends have
one".

Dad stops to think for a minute and then goes to Mom.

Dad: "Hi Dear, Johnny has been really good lately just like he promised, so
I thought I'd go buy him that new action toy. While I was at it, I thought
I'd stop at Lee Valley Tools and get that Leigh dovetail jig they have. I
could use it to build you a really great bathroom vanity, you know you
always wanted one.
Mom: "Forget it Frank. It costs too much."
Dad: "But Honey, none of the other dads on the street have one that I can
borrow and if I get one, we'd even save money over paying some contractor to
build a vanity for us as well and I could build you other stuff too."
Mom thinks for a minute, realizes that Frank will be obligated to her big
time if she says ok and also realizes that she could go along and buy
herself some gardening equipment at the same time.

So, off the family goes to Lee Valley Tools. Johnny owes mom because she was
the one that said yes. Dad owes mom because she was the one that said yes.
Mom gets some new garden tools.

Does anybody wonder how it came to be that women really control the world?

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:56:52 -0600, the inscrutable Dave Balderstone
spake:

In article , Robin Lee
wrote:

Too weird.... I'd looked up the Jasper Friendly Bear quote to use too!!!

Have you got your Authentic Indian Name yet?

http://www.aspalta.cbc.ca/deaddog_asp/aininfo.asp

Hey, no longer will I be known as "C-less"!

Youse guys may now call me by my Authentic Indian Name:
Franklin Lovely Brains.

Whoda thunk it?

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Dave Balderstone

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

Youse guys may now call me by my Authentic Indian Name:
Franklin Lovely Brains.

I don't see a "C" in there, C-less...

yrs,

Johnson Stately Beak

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Patriarch

"Upscale" wrote in
:

snip of an entirely likely scenario

So, off the family goes to Lee Valley Tools. Johnny owes mom because
she was the one that said yes. Dad owes mom because she was the one
that said yes. Mom gets some new garden tools.

Does anybody wonder how it came to be that women really control the
world?

Well, that's one way it happens...

They also frequently outlive us, outsmart us, and mess with our minds. And
we frequently say how happy we are with the situation.

Mine is much better with the checkbook than I am.

Patriarch
Glen

Kevin Craig wrote:

We're planning to move to Coos County, NH (the Berlin area). I think
that would be a perfect place for an LV store. :-)

Kevin

While the Northeast might not be a bad idea, there is no doubt that
Souther California would be a far better location for a LV store. I was
speaking to the order-taking lady last winter and while she was filling
my order we chatted about the weather. Canada - cold, wet snowy. SoCal
- (that day at least) mid-eighties, slight breeze. Even the LV employee
stated a preference for SoCal. Give your poor, hard-working employees a
break, Robin. This IS the place for a new location!!!!

Glen
Robin Lee

"Glen" wrote in message
nk.net...
Kevin Craig wrote:

We're planning to move to Coos County, NH (the Berlin area). I think
that would be a perfect place for an LV store. :-)

Kevin

While the Northeast might not be a bad idea, there is no doubt that
Souther California would be a far better location for a LV store. I was
speaking to the order-taking lady last winter and while she was filling
my order we chatted about the weather. Canada - cold, wet snowy. SoCal
- (that day at least) mid-eighties, slight breeze. Even the LV employee
stated a preference for SoCal. Give your poor, hard-working employees a
break, Robin. This IS the place for a new location!!!!

Glen

Hi Glen -

Would that part of California be on the right side, or the left side of the
fault line???

Important to know, for long term planning......

Cheers -

Rob

jo4hn

Robin Lee wrote:
"Glen" wrote in message
nk.net...

Kevin Craig wrote:

[...]

Understand Robin, when the big quake happens, everything east of the San
Andreas fault will fall into the Atlantic.
jolt,
jo4hn (on the left side and way above)
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:18:08 -0400, the opaque "Robin Lee"
spake:

"Glen" wrote in message

- (that day at least) mid-eighties, slight breeze. Even the LV employee
stated a preference for SoCal. Give your poor, hard-working employees a
break, Robin. This IS the place for a new location!!!!

Would that part of California be on the right side, or the left side of the
fault line???

Important to know, for long term planning......

According to Murphy's Law, when the Big One hits LoCal, everything
east of the San Andreas Fault will fall into the Atlantic.

Choose your location wisely, Rob.

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Dave

The only problem with putting a store in SO. Cal is who could afford to live
there? I wouldn't live in a home that costs 200K there. Any thing worth
living in there would costs at least 800K or more. Any thing less than that
would not buy a home big enough for a wood shop. I think Lee Valley would
be better off locating in Central Illinois where one could buy a new home
with a 3 car garage for 250K on a decent size lot too.

"Glen" wrote in message
nk.net...
Kevin Craig wrote:

We're planning to move to Coos County, NH (the Berlin area). I think
that would be a perfect place for an LV store. :-)

Kevin

While the Northeast might not be a bad idea, there is no doubt that
Souther California would be a far better location for a LV store. I was
speaking to the order-taking lady last winter and while she was filling
my order we chatted about the weather. Canada - cold, wet snowy. SoCal
- (that day at least) mid-eighties, slight breeze. Even the LV employee
stated a preference for SoCal. Give your poor, hard-working employees a
break, Robin. This IS the place for a new location!!!!

Glen

Scott Lurndal

"Robin Lee" writes:

"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Kevin Craig wrote:

We're planning to move to Coos County, NH (the Berlin area). I think
that would be a perfect place for an LV store. :-)

Kevin

While the Northeast might not be a bad idea, there is no doubt that
Souther California would be a far better location for a LV store.

[ ... ]
Glen

Hi Glen -

Would that part of California be on the right side, or the left side of the
fault line???

_which_ fault line?

scott

Important to know, for long term planning......

Cheers -

Rob

Michael Daly

On 14-Jun-2005, David wrote:

Ever noticed the clogged freeways??

That's how they avoid having to buy a house.

Mike
Patrick Conroy

jo4hn wrote in
ink.net:

Robin Lee wrote:
"Glen" wrote in message
nk.net...

Kevin Craig wrote:

We're planning to move to Coos County, NH (the Berlin area). I think
that would be a perfect place for an LV store. :-)

Kevin

While the Northeast might not be a bad idea, there is no doubt that
Souther California would be a far better location for a LV store. I
was speaking to the order-taking lady last winter and while she was
filling my order we chatted about the weather. Canada - cold, wet
snowy. SoCal - (that day at least) mid-eighties, slight breeze.
Even the LV employee stated a preference for SoCal. Give your poor,
hard-working employees a break, Robin. This IS the place for a new
location!!!!

Understand Robin, when the big quake happens, everything east of the
San Andreas fault will fall into the Atlantic.

Cool - I can hit about 8,000 feet in 30 minutes - so I'll finally get
that Island Retreat I always wanted...
Dave O'Heare

"Robin Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Glen -

Would that part of California be on the right side, or the left side of

the
fault line???

Important to know, for long term planning......

Robin, that would be on the left side of the Nannygoat Hill fault line
(that's the one that causes that steep hill up Booth Street here in Ottawa
:-)

Hope this helps,

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Dave O'Heare

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Rob Fargher" wrote in message
bolted down, or screwed to the wall. And, not surprisingly considering

the
number of items they stock, not all is out on display, either. There is

nice book section, though, with shelf copies available for perusal and a
number of very comfortable arm chairs for said perusing.

Have you ever asked to look at something that is behind glass or in the

back
room on a shelf? I have several times when I've visited Lee Valley Tool
stores in Toronto and I've always been accommodated.

In the Ottawa store, all you have to do is ask. Sometimes I have a list,
sometimes I don't. I've even said "I'm not going to buy this now, but can I
have a look at it anyway" and the answer has always been "Sure, no problem."

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Glen

Robin Lee wrote:
"Glen" wrote in message
nk.net...

Kevin Craig wrote:

[...]

Right side. That's a plus, after the "big one" you will have ocean
front property. ;-)

Glen