Fray Bentos

Default possible damp problem?

hello all (again)

My kitchen is an extension (not brilliantly built I might add) knocked up in
the 70's. Solid floor.
I have lived here for 6 years, first time I've had to lift lino

Anyway, we have lino type flooring - cushioned plastic stuff. I pulled the
washing machine out to have a clean and I pulled the lino back a bit to
clean properly and noticed it was damp underneath. I lifted a larger patch
and discovered the floor is wet underneath. It smells only very slightly
musty. I dried it very easily with a hairdryer and I'm waiting to see if the
dampness returns where there is no lino. Many years ago, my father told me
that lino makes the floor "sweat". Is that true?

Fray Bentos

"Fray Bentos" wrote in message
. uk...
hello all (again)

My kitchen is an extension (not brilliantly built I might add) knocked up

in
the 70's. Solid floor.
I have lived here for 6 years, first time I've had to lift lino

Anyway, we have lino type flooring - cushioned plastic stuff. I pulled the
washing machine out to have a clean and I pulled the lino back a bit to
clean properly and noticed it was damp underneath. I lifted a larger patch
and discovered the floor is wet underneath. It smells only very slightly
musty. I dried it very easily with a hairdryer and I'm waiting to see if

the
dampness returns where there is no lino. Many years ago, my father told me
that lino makes the floor "sweat". Is that true?

FOUND THE PROBLEM

bloody hell. one of the flexible pipes has developed a leak where it goes
into the fitting. It drips about once every 10 mins

I bet its been doing that for months. The water would have been dripping on
to the skirting board and running under the lino.

darn it.

doozer

Fray Bentos wrote:
hello all (again)

My kitchen is an extension (not brilliantly built I might add) knocked up in
the 70's. Solid floor.
I have lived here for 6 years, first time I've had to lift lino

Anyway, we have lino type flooring - cushioned plastic stuff. I pulled the
washing machine out to have a clean and I pulled the lino back a bit to
clean properly and noticed it was damp underneath. I lifted a larger patch
and discovered the floor is wet underneath. It smells only very slightly
musty. I dried it very easily with a hairdryer and I'm waiting to see if the
dampness returns where there is no lino. Many years ago, my father told me
that lino makes the floor "sweat". Is that true?

Are you sure it's not a small leak from the washing machine? Perhaps the
connector pipe hasn't been done up quite a tightly as it should have been.

Graham
Fray Bentos

"doozer" wrote in message
news
Fray Bentos wrote:
[...]

The pipe is dripping from where the pipe is crimped to the connector if that
makes any sense.

The Natural Philosopher

Fray Bentos wrote:

[...]

hehe. you can have all my old 'been there done that' t-shirts..

Basically if the floor stayed damp it means it probably HAS got a good DPM.

Leave it a few weeks before re-laying floor preferably.

The Natural Philosopher

Fray Bentos wrote:

The pipe is dripping from where the pipe is crimped to the connector if that
makes any sense.

Lots. check rubber washer, check tightness and replace bloody hose if it
continues.
kevin77

Ive got exactly the same problem in my ground floor bathroom with
concrete floor . At first I thought 'must be a leak' and I stripped
flooring and bath panel out for a couple of weeks to observe. No
damp, dry as a bone. Conclusion was condensation & lack of
ventilation. Does lino (modern pvc) sweat? Im not totally convinced.

"Fray Bentos" wrote in message o.uk...
"doozer" wrote in message
news
Fray Bentos wrote:
[...]

Mike

"kevin77" wrote in message
om...

Does lino (modern pvc) sweat? Im not totally convinced.

No. Totally watertight.

Widespread problem with HP Omnibook XE3-GFs? Joe Electronics Repair 1 November 21st 04 05:32 AM
Problem with room getting too hot from facing the south (even in late October) jeff Home Repair 11 November 2nd 04 08:18 PM
Plaster Problem... Matt Durkin UK diy 19 July 5th 04 03:00 PM
Victorian damp and chemical DPC failure Andrew Collins UK diy 14 October 31st 03 05:21 PM