Arch

Default A COC's major rant about a minor problem

I appreciated your friendly responses to my requests for the size, form
and pitch of the adapter hole in the body of a Nova chuck. So far no
answer and by now I'm not likely to get one. I don't mean to be
petulant, but even if minor consequence, the outcome made me wonder.

I believe the difference between products
that are protected by closed trade secrets as opposed to open patents is
significant to woodturners. Furthermore, I believe that just _knowing
something about the materials, specifications, design and limits of the
machinery and all the other products we employ in home workshops is
reasonable and not a bad thing.

You may argue that someone who has no idea where the brake or
accelerator pedals in a car go to can drive as safely and efficiently as
if they did know. Maybe so, but _knowing as much as possible and that
includes threads, about dangerous machinery doesn't seem much of a
stretch to me although I can understand why others couldn't care less.

We seem to need to know all about the steel in our gouges, the bearings
in our headstocks, the shape of our chuck jaws, the mechanisms in our
speed controls.... Is it so contrary to want to know the threads in our
Nova chucks or in any other machinery we use? End of rant.

Some jaws interchange between Nova and Oneway chucks. Are the threads in
question the same? If so, can I know their specs whether I need to or
not?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

"Arch" wrote in message
Some jaws interchange between Nova and Oneway chucks. Are the threads in
question the same? If so, can I know their specs whether I need to or
not?

Mangiamelli wrote a piece on that. Seems you only have to defeat the safety
feature on the Oneways.

But if you've got Novas, why bother? Nothing in the Oneway stable that you
can't do better on with Teknatool.

Arch

I thought that if the adapter threads were the same, Oneway might be
more open about divulging the specs. BTW. I'm happy with my three Nova
Chucks.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch

Tonight I received a cordial email including an offer to send a diagram
and specifications of the Nova chuck from Roger Latimer of Teknatool.
It is a most reassuring corporate attitude for all present or
prospective Nova owners.

Thank you Roger.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch

Hi LD. Thanks for trying. Ranting right along, I didn't measure the
threads for the same reasons I don't analyze the contents of many other
products that contain some potential for injury: I am not competent to
do so and makers usually have some responsibility. It seemed
unnecessary to justify my question and ok to just want to know and to
ask help from others who are more capable of making measurements.

A blunt micrometer, 60deg. National form thread gage, bifocals and yours
truly aren't up to determining thread forms. I thought major and minor
diameters and even pitch diameters and double depths would be easy for
one of our machinists. I might be able to measure the thread pitch &
lead, but then again I might not even know if the chucks are double
threaded.

I'm sorry for the brouhaha. Let this thread (the one on rcw not the one
on Nova) RIP.

Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
Tonight I received a cordial email including an offer to send a diagram
and specifications of the Nova chuck from Roger Latimer of Teknatool.
It is a most reassuring corporate attitude for all present or
prospective Nova owners.

Thank you Roger.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Again, demonstrating the efficacy of the adage that the squeaky wheel gets
the attention! As well as living up to "Fortiter in re!' Right on, Arch!!
*G*

Leif