Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

Default Uneven solid floor ..is this doable?

Hello..
I have a solid (concrete?) pre-war kitchen floor. Approx 3 mtrs x 2.5
mtrs. It is no longer a kitchen area, it has been carpeted and used as
an alternative lounge area. The carpet has now been taken up and
dumped and I want to lay a wooden floor down.

And the problem is... one part of the floor is some 35mm higher than
the other side. To bring the lower part of the floor up by using
'Floor Leveller compound' to match the high part seems a tall order
for this stuff.

I do not want to disturb the original floor, I can live with it as it
is, otherwise the entire floor would need to come up and a new one put
down.

What I had in mind was laying down battens, carefully shaved to match
the curve of the floor, and then put floorboards down on top. Its the
kind of thing I have done in the past with a plinth for a Welsh
Dresser, the plinth varies with the floor, the item on top is
horizontal and true.

Can I do this in my old kitchen area, I know it will be time
consuming, but that is not a problem.

Are there any reasons why this will not work and I should not do it?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alo wrote:
[...]

The battens would probably work if the floor is 100% dry, but a pva
mortar would be quicker, cheaper, and a lot easier. You only need to
level it with a length of wood. Decide whether you want to level (as in
spirit level) the floor, or just flatten it. Often doorways etc dictate
what is feasible.
The main benefit of self levelling screed is the smoothness of the
surface, which is only important for lino or vinyl.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

"alo" wrote

And the problem is... one part of the floor is some 35mm higher than
the other side. To bring the lower part of the floor up by using
'Floor Leveller compound' to match the high part seems a tall order
for this stuff.

TIA

For what it's worth...

We recently had latex self levelling compound laid. I didn't do it
myself as there were some big differences in levels (30mm +) and
I have never used the stuff before.

It took a couple of visits but it all worked out fine. The guy did an
excellent job.

There are still some differences in levels but it's much better and
very smooth.

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alo wrote:

And the problem is... one part of the floor is some 35mm higher than
the other side. To bring the lower part of the floor up by using
'Floor Leveller compound' to match the high part seems a tall order
for this stuff.

Years ago I had a kitchen flor of similar size levelled by an old school
plasterer. He placed blobs of fairly dry mixed mortar in each corner with a
2" x2" square of ply embedded in each blob & levelled all four. He left
this for the time it took to brew & drink a cuppa.

Then he filled in the floor using a batten as a straight edge, taking levels
across the four blobs.

He made it look easy, but I suspect 40 years practice had something to do
with it. But that appears to be the way to do it. I guess self levelling
compound would take out any inaccuracies.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

Years ago I had a kitchen flor of similar size levelled by an old school
plasterer. He placed blobs of fairly dry mixed mortar in each corner with a
2" x2" square of ply embedded in each blob & levelled all four. He left
this for the time it took to brew & drink a cuppa.

Then he filled in the floor using a batten as a straight edge, taking levels
across the four blobs.

Well the floor is dry, but uneven. I appreciate that using a concrete
screed would be quick and easy and using my method will be slow and
complicated,but it has the advantage of being easily lifted up if
there are any serious problems with the original solid floor.

Putting another 35mm of concrete on top sounds practical but my
experience in laying concrete is close to nil, with the wooden battens
and floorboards I feel more confident, and I think using bog standard
floorboards will be a lot cheaper than buying the packaged solid
floors (lovely though it is) from a shed or flooring company.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alo wrote:
[...]

Can you afford to raise the whole floor level by an inch? If so, batten
the whole lot with 1" x 1" and pack the gaps under the battens with
mortar (or whatever). Then you have a flat surface to fix your boards
to, and a flow of air under them, but doorways, steps etc can make this
a non-strter.
Your original idea might sound ok in theory but, in practice, it will be
difficult to get a proper level. Honestly, it isn't difficult slapping
down a bit of mortar when you have existing levels on either side. If
you only have one level, create the other with *one* batten, and just
run a length of wood across them. You'll have plenty of time to play
with it before it sets. Main thing is to mix it as thick as you can
Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

Can you afford to raise the whole floor level by an inch? If so, batten
the whole lot with 1" x 1" and pack the gaps under the battens with
mortar (or whatever). Then you have a flat surface to fix your boards
to, and a flow of air under them, but doorways, steps etc can make this
a non-strter.
Your original idea might sound ok in theory but, in practice, it will be
difficult to get a proper level. Honestly, it isn't difficult slapping
down a bit of mortar when you have existing levels on either side. If
you only have one level, create the other with *one* batten, and just
run a length of wood across them. You'll have plenty of time to play
with it before it sets. Main thing is to mix it as thick as you can

I had not thought of doing that way... it would certainly be a lot
quicker, and I have just bought a bag of mortar to finish some brick
work around a stove... I shall go with this paln.

Thanks

Uneven Floor [email protected] Home Repair 7 November 27th 06 04:18 AM
Floor tiling - making up for uneven floor level. Mark S. UK diy 3 August 11th 06 09:17 AM
uneven floor aj191e Home Repair 8 August 3rd 05 05:37 PM
uneven floor aj191e Home Repair 0 July 28th 05 08:14 PM
Uneven floor joists....installing new floor covering...2 problems. Dave Bonnell Home Repair 5 October 29th 03 02:58 PM