aj191e

Default uneven floor

My kitchen was remodled by the previous owners. The contractor did a
very bad job. If you take a look at one end of the room you will see
that the floor is sloping down. The house is 105 years old and the
addition's floor has settled. Because that end of the kitchen is where
i would like to put my Refrigerator, i now need to fix the floor.
Is their a product that i can use to even out the floor? It is a framed
wood floor over a crawspace.

--
aj191e

wkearney99

Contact a construction engineer and look at having the addition raised on
jacks and levelled. Don't just fix the floor because the structure will
probably just continue to sag. *ESPECIALLY* since you're planning on
putting the heaviest appliance in that location. It sagged now without it,
how much more do you think it'll sag when you put a couple hundred pounds of
fridge on it?

My kitchen was remodled by the previous owners. The contractor did a
very bad job. If you take a look at one end of the room you will see
that the floor is sloping down. The house is 105 years old and the
addition's floor has settled. Because that end of the kitchen is where
i would like to put my Refrigerator, i now need to fix the floor.
Is their a product that i can use to even out the floor? It is a framed
wood floor over a crawspace.

No

It sunk for a reason, fix the reason.

You wouldn't fix a sinking ship by building a new deck on top would you?

Your problem is either an improper foundation failed/foundation or a rotted
sill plate (The wood under the wall). Could be easy fix, could be a lot of
work.

"aj191e" wrote in message
. ..

My kitchen was remodled by the previous owners. The contractor did a
very bad job. If you take a look at one end of the room you will see
that the floor is sloping down. The house is 105 years old and the
addition's floor has settled. Because that end of the kitchen is where
i would like to put my Refrigerator, i now need to fix the floor.
Is their a product that i can use to even out the floor? It is a framed
wood floor over a crawspace.

--
aj191e

Like the others have said, check foundations. Find the cause first and
then remedy it. Go to your local home builders assn. Ask them for
advice. There may even be some Gc's or sub's there between jobs. I'd
take the time now to consider extending the basement. It'll give you
the extra space down there as well. Once the floors are releveled,
insist the contractor "mothers" all floor joists. That means studs
are added to each joist for it's full length. It increases their
structural capacity. You shouldn't have a problem after that .

This is my 2nd reply; other did not post. As others said fix the
problem first. Visit your local home builders assn. They'll advise
you. You may even find a Gc or sub there between jobs. I'd suggest
even extending the foundation. You could use the extra basement space.
Be sure to have him "mother" all floor joists the full length once
they are relevelled. That means adding studs on each side of each
joist to increase their structural capacity.

rider89

sometimes the foundation is fine, but the ends of the floor joists have
crushed, usually due
to longterm moisture in the footing/foundation. if so, shimming up the
ends of the joists is a relatively
straightforward process, although getting there to do it can be the tough
part. another problem
is whether building materials (baseboards, etc) have been added since the
floor settled. these would
obviously need to be cleared before the floor can be elevated.

bill

"DiDo" wrote in message
newsceFe.2400$3p2.1590@trndny04...
so what is your question

"aj191e" wrote in message
. ..

My kitchen was remodled by the previous owners. The contractor did a
very bad job. If you take a look at one end of the room you will see
that the floor is sloping down. The house is 105 years old and the
addition's floor has settled. Because that end of the kitchen is where
i would like to put my Refrigerator, i now need to fix the floor.
Is their a product that i can use to even out the floor? It is a framed
wood floor over a crawspace.

--
aj191e

Dan_Musicant

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:02:59 GMT, "DiDo" wrote:

:"aj191e" wrote in message
:
: My kitchen was remodled by the previous owners. The contractor did a
: very bad job. If you take a look at one end of the room you will see
: that the floor is sloping down. The house is 105 years old and the
: addition's floor has settled. Because that end of the kitchen is where
: i would like to put my Refrigerator, i now need to fix the floor.
: Is their a product that i can use to even out the floor? It is a framed
: wood floor over a crawspace.
:
:
: --
: aj191e
:
My house is nearly as old as yours, 10 years newer: built in 1910. My
kitchen too slopes very noticeably toward the center of the house
(center is depressed). Yes, I consider it a problem and when I get the
foundation rebuilt I will ask the engineer first thing if he thinks the
house can be effectively leveled. However, you might want to consider
this - there's a positive to the floor sloping in the kitchen like it
does. My refrigerator door, if it's not open more than about 45 degrees,
closes by itself. I don't have to manually shut it. This is a nice
thing.

Dan
Dan_Musicant

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:49:20 -0400, "No" wrote:

:It sunk for a reason, fix the reason.
:
:You wouldn't fix a sinking ship by building a new deck on top would you?
:
:Your problem is either an improper foundation failed/foundation or a rotted
:sill plate (The wood under the wall). Could be easy fix, could be a lot of
:work.

It's also possible that the ground under the house isn't stable. I think
that an old house is apt to sink in many if not circumstances. If the
house were on rock, deep-sunk rock, no, but most houses certainly
aren't.
:
: