Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lenient building control shock

i'm in the process of renovating a cafe/gallery. the building is 1
1/2 storeys and the upstairs is vacant at present but ultimately we
hope to open it up (coombed ceilings). however we are installing
heating downstairs and so i want to insulate the roof. i was planning
using rigid insulation above and beneath the rafters so i got in touch
with my local BC re ventilation. i was surprised to find out because
this is a commercial building the ventilation rules do not apply and I
am not obliged to install any. however I tend to think that these
guidelines are put in place for a reason and of course condensation
would be an issue so I DO WANT to ventilate but am just wondering what
a sensible solution would be. the rafters are at ~400mm (although
they do vary) centres and venting every bay seems excessive. There is
no soffit, I would get a vented ridge placed on the top so ventilation
would be required at the bottom of the roof.

there are probably 60 bays so i was thinking perhaps venting every
third and providing ventilation to the ones either side by drilling
holes through the rafters - would this work?

or because there is no soffit maybe removing stones (stone wall
exterior) from the top of of the wall.

any recommendations greatly appreciated?

Building Control question Nicknoxx UK diy 2 January 16th 07 03:53 PM
building control etc jon UK diy 31 November 14th 06 06:06 PM
building control passed my plans [email protected] UK diy 4 March 26th 06 12:20 PM
example building control plans ? [email protected] UK diy 24 October 5th 05 06:05 PM
Building control in two stages - full plans / building notice [email protected] UK diy 5 September 27th 05 10:17 AM