Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building Control question

I've spend the last five years joining together two three story cottages
and have been dealing with the same BCO intermittently. Previously he
said that I'd need to fit door closers on all the internal doors (except
bathroom) but on his final visit on Friday he claimed not to remember
this and that I'd have to fit fire doors to the ground floor.

On Monday I phoned him to make the point that as both the houses were
originally three story, this shouldn't be necessary. He said he'd think
about it and call me back. It's now Tuesday and he hasn't called.

I know that one can start work after giving 48 hours notice to the BCO,
is there a similar time relating to the BCO answering a question like this?

Further relevant guidance also appreciated.

--
Never again!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nicknoxx" wrote in message
[...]

Memo to BCO dated XXX, For the Avoidance of Doubt: This is to confirm
our conversation of earlier today where you agreed that YYY

Keep filed copies and any replies.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Nicknoxx" wrote in message
I've spend the last five years joining together two three story

cottages
and have been dealing with the same BCO intermittently. Previously

he
said that I'd need to fit door closers on all the internal doors

(except
bathroom) but on his final visit on Friday he claimed not to

remember
this and that I'd have to fit fire doors to the ground floor.

On Monday I phoned him to make the point that as both the houses

were
originally three story, this shouldn't be necessary.

I'm not familiar enough with the fire regs without checking up, but is
it the point here that if it were a new build, then door closers would
be required, but you're saying that it's an old house therefore they aren't?

If so I would suggest they will be necessary,as converting two houses
into one will constitute the dreaded "Material Change of Use" criterion
beloved of BCOs, which means that everything has to be up to current
standards, not those prevailing at the time. I once had to rip out and
replace an almost-new set of uPVC windows because they didn't come up to
modern-day standards, when I was converting one house into two.

He said he'd think
about it and call me back. It's now Tuesday and he hasn't called.

Errrr... well what are you waiting for: ring him up yourself then!!

One thing I've learned over the years in my dealings with BCOs is that
there's no margin for error: if he comes back in a few weeks' time and
you haven't fitted closers, and when asked wny not you say that he never
phoned you back so you assumed it would be OK, do you really suppose
he's going to say 'Oh yeah, OK then never mind'

Memo to BCO dated XXX, For the Avoidance of Doubt: This is to confirm
our conversation of earlier today where you agreed that YYY

Keep filed copies and any replies.

Good one: I've used this tack myself in the past. IMHO especially
useful when you negotiate something past one BCO, and are worried
another BCO might have a different opinion on the matter later on!

David

building control etc jon UK diy 31 November 14th 06 06:06 PM
building control passed my plans [email protected] UK diy 4 March 26th 06 12:20 PM
example building control plans ? [email protected] UK diy 24 October 5th 05 06:05 PM
Building control in two stages - full plans / building notice [email protected] UK diy 5 September 27th 05 10:17 AM
Building a remote control mower Nick Huckaby Metalworking 9 March 6th 05 02:38 PM