Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Putting up a stud wall

Hi,

I want to put up a stud wall to divide a 21ft space into two smaller
spaces, and will need a wall with two doors which will create a
hallway and then a wall across the middle to split them.

My question: Are there flat pack stud wall kits I can buy to do this?

I have seen people put a metal carcus up and then put the plaster
board onto that which looked quite simple, is it?

Just really want to know where I could get the materials from or
whether it would be worth getting a builder in.

What is a fair price a builder would charge?

Thanks in advance,

Mat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

On 12 Feb, 11:47, wrote:
Hi,

I want to put up a stud wall to divide a 21ft space into two smaller
spaces, and will need a wall with two doors which will create a
hallway and then a wall across the middle to split them.

My question: Are there flat pack stud wall kits I can buy to do this?

I have seen people put a metal carcus up and then put the plaster
board onto that which looked quite simple, is it?

Just really want to know where I could get the materials from or
whether it would be worth getting a builder in.

What is a fair price a builder would charge?

Thanks in advance,

Mat.

I recently built a partition wall. It was my first majoy DIY
experiment and it all went well. I would suggest trying it your
self. You can get metal kits from Screwfix but I just used wood. I
followed a guide that I found on the Wickes website. I say 'have a
go'. If you get into trouble then call a builder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah thanks. I just found the Wickes site which shows how to make one,
so think I'll give it a go. Doesn't look too difficult.

How did you get it delivered? Do Wickes deliver it all, Plaster board
and wood etc?

Thanks,

Mat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

On 12 Feb, 14:51, wrote:
Ah thanks. I just found the Wickes site which shows how to make one,
so think I'll give it a go. Doesn't look too difficult.

How did you get it delivered? Do Wickes deliver it all, Plaster board
and wood etc?

Thanks,

Mat.

I can't really help you there, sorry.
I bought most of my bits from a local DIY shop and they delivered
anything I couldn't fit in the car for a tenner.
I think my one bit of advice would be to take your time. When I built
my small dividing wall I took a week off work but it took more like
2-3 weeks! This was mainly due to me double checking everything and
then realising that I'd forgotten to buy something (I must have gone
to the DIY shop at least 3 times a day!).
Also dont scrimp on insulation. Its really cheap so double it up; put
the plaster board up on one side and then push as much insulation in
as possible before putting the other side up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.diydata.com/projects/part...itionframe.htm here is some
good info 2 seconds on a Google search

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FAO CJ - 3 weeks??? I was hoping to do it in a few days, I certainly
haven't got three weeks, if that is the case I will have to get the
builders in.

Why does it take so long?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

On 12 Feb, 16:26, wrote:
FAO CJ - 3 weeks??? I was hoping to do it in a few days, I certainly
haven't got three weeks, if that is the case I will have to get the
builders in.

Why does it take so long?

-Maybe because mine was in a bathroom so I have to remove tiles, make
wall flat. I also had to re-route heating and wiring into the new
wall. Also when you come to 'jointing' the pieces of plasterboard you
have to sit around and wait for it dry.
-You prob can do it in a few days but I'm pretty useless at things
like this so I go by the rule of 'measure 20 times, cut once'!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I want to put up a stud wall to divide a 21ft space into two smaller
spaces, and will need a wall with two doors which will create a
hallway and then a wall across the middle to split them.

Easy enough to do, although note that it may in theory require building
regs approval.

My question: Are there flat pack stud wall kits I can buy to do this?

You can buy metal stud sections, which can be handy if you need a very
thin wall. Otherwise just ordinary sawn 4x2 or 3x2 will do the job nicely.

I have seen people put a metal carcus up and then put the plaster
board onto that which looked quite simple, is it?

Yup, but wood is even more simple usually.

Just really want to know where I could get the materials from or
whether it would be worth getting a builder in.

Any builders merchant, wood yard, or if you don't mind paying a bit more
DIY shop. Wickes would probably not be too bad for that sort of thing.

What is a fair price a builder would charge?

Depends on exactly what you ask for... like do you want the plasterboard
skimmed after erection? or just taped and jointed?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the help, but why the need for building regs, as it
won't be load bearing, I read that you could put walls up without
building regs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah right, I understand.

However, I should be ok as it is on the ground floor and both are
large windows which fully open.

I will be creating a hallway, but that shouldn't cause a problem, does
a hallway need to be a certain width?

Thanks,

MAt.

Stud wall in roof sadsjon UK diy 5 January 29th 07 10:28 AM
Stud Wall Nearly There! [email protected] UK diy 7 June 7th 05 01:44 PM
Plasterboarding Stud Wall [email protected] UK diy 15 June 5th 05 01:09 PM
Stud wall nthng2snet UK diy 4 February 27th 05 12:39 AM
IKEA kitchen wall cabinet hanging on plaster wall without stud coder UK diy 12 November 4th 04 07:53 AM