Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Makita 5604R

Anyone got any experience of this saw?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Anyone got any experience of this saw?

I bought one just over 12 months ago to replace a Ryobi that had failed. I
only use the saw for cutting floorboards during rewires etc and have found
it to be underpowered and easy to stall the motor. The guard for the blade
bent very early in its life and sticks open. All in all I was very
disappointed with the saw although I have used Makita everything else and
been pleased with their other tools. I think the biggest problem is it is
only 950W and I intend to replace it with the 5603R later in the year
(1100W) or maybe an even more powerfull version.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:40:36 -0000, "The Medway Handyman"
mused:

Anyone got any experience of this saw?

I've had the 5703R (7 1/2") for several years and it's about right for
general use, never had any problems with it for most tasks. It's a
reasonably well built saw. If I had to buy a new saw tomorrow I'd buy
the same one again.

I wouldn't want a smaller one though for doing too much worktop
cutting (the 5604 is only 54mm depth) and I wouldn't want a bigger one
for doing mainly floorboard lifting (bit too cumbersome).
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone got any experience of this saw?

Not that particular one...

I have always been very impressed with the Hitachi circular saws though.
Nice solid cast base plates and very smooth running.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 23:45, John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone got any experience of this saw?

Not that particular one...

I have always been very impressed with the Hitachi circular saws though.
Nice solid cast base plates and very smooth running.

--
Cheers,

John.

I have one of the Hitachi ones and have been pleased with it.
I've tried the Makita one briefly and
that seemed fine also.

One other contender to consider could be Bosch. The have a guide
rail system that is slotted to take their
circular saw (and I think jigsaw as well). This would be
interesting if there is a requirement to do a fair bit of
panel cutting on site. Festool and Mafell offer systems like this
as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 18:40, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Anyone got any experience of this saw?

A 5604 is old stock, so ought to be at a good price. Current model is
the 5704

It's a reasonable quality cheap lightweight saw, only with a high
pricetag. The 5703 is rather more convincing in terms of the
baseplate and probably a better deal.

I do timber framing with a couple of the 5903s and a 5604. All have
lasted fairly well. The 5143 is terrifying and uncontrollable, owing
to a huge blade with huge gyroscopic forces. Don't ever try moving one
with the power on other than in a pure straight line!

One weakness to the Makita is that the ripping splitter is flimsy and
easily bent. Although you can easily bend them straight again you have
to take it off the saw before you can do this (otherwise you just bend
a second kink into it). This requires dismantling half the saw and
more tools than you have on top of a roof.

For big stuff, the big Makita is nice. For this size though I'd
probably buy a Hitachi C7U (ugly pair of trainers though it is). Even
better is the last of the old-production Skils, if you can find one
(new stuff is B&Q garbage)

Makita Charger Bob Electronics Repair 13 February 13th 06 02:10 PM
makita 9401 Kenneth Widdall Woodworking 1 April 21st 05 02:27 AM
Makita 6916 RB Woodworking 10 April 15th 04 12:58 AM
makita saw Nick Brooks UK diy 7 February 3rd 04 04:57 PM
Dewalt or Makita? Jon Read UK diy 7 August 18th 03 10:00 AM